Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Slowing cars down...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spliffie wrote:
    I can see why someone walking on their own might be intimidated by it, but i've been referring to groups tarted up & out on the town.
    we've been mostly talking about lone women :rolleyes: this would explain a lot of the misunderstanding...
    Spliffie wrote:
    Oh right. So guys passing in cars can't tell who's wanting attention, yet this all magically changes soon as you enter a club.

What gives people the right to hoot at other people when they are walking down the street? ffs Spliffie! Give it a rest. Generally (given the responses on this thread) girls don't like it. Ok? It has nothing to do with them not taking it as a joke, or whatever, but just leave it! I doubt you are going to stop doing it as a result of this thread, but do you really expect girls to start 'taking the compliment' just because that's how you think we should take it? Get real.

And as for being in a club, you expect to be approached/chatted up/flirted with while you are in there, because that is the general purpose for being in one! You dress up and expose flesh and yes, you expect for those things to happen. However, walking down a street minding your own business is a different matter ENTIRELY, you do not expect to be hooted/beeped/flashed/shouted/whistled at.
    What gives people the right to hoot at other people when they are walking down the street? ffs Spliffie! Give it a rest. Generally (given the responses on this thread) girls don't like it. Ok? It has nothing to do with them not taking it as a joke, or whatever, but just leave it! I doubt you are going to stop doing it as a result of this thread, but do you really expect girls to start 'taking the compliment' just because that's how you think we should take it? Get real.

And as for being in a club, you expect to be approached/chatted up/flirted with while you are in there, because that is the general purpose for being in one! You dress up and expose flesh and yes, you expect for those things to happen. However, walking down a street minding your own business is a different matter ENTIRELY, you do not expect to be hooted/beeped/flashed/shouted/whistled at.
    *applauds* :yes:
    Spliffie wrote:
    Except of course, you haven't.
    I've shown how you are evidently wrong and you don't have a reply.

Except I've said it, and so has Mist. So has KHSS, so has Ballerina.

It's not a difficult argument to get. Honestly.

And how can you spot anything when you're flying up behind someone in your chavmobile or Transit? And how can the woman get away from a car?

It's flipping obvious what the difference is. The fact that you're still trying to say its OK because "tarted up" women "want male attention" illustrates the moronic nature of your argument quite thoroughly.
    So one female on the thread isn't really bothered, but admits that it is annoying. All the other females don't like it.

What does that tell us?
    i didn't expect this thread to turn into this!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    i didn't expect this thread to turn into this!
    It's one of the nice (IMO) things about thesite. Threads can end up about a completely different subject than they began. Look at the one about the whale, for example.
    As long as the original subject didn't leave anything important unsaid, I don't see a problem with that. And in this case, the subject isn't much different than the original.
    Wow, this thread is pretty scary. It would seem from a some of the opinions expressed here that I would often fit into the category of a 'tart' who's "asking for a bit of attention". I wear short skirts, knee high boots, sometimes even... *shock prozzy horror*...a streak of blood red lipstick- should I 'tone it down' or just accept that I have to deal with the consequences? If you think that's true, I think that you are sick! You know what, my six year old daughter goes out in a short skirt, every day to school, as did I and as do her peers, we routinely dress our babies/ toddlers/children in skirts. As brothers/fathers/uncles, when does this stop being what we consider feminine and become 'slutty' and 'asking for it'? A short skirt says absolutely nothing about "wanting it/giving it or that I hook". If you think that it does- do you suggest that females wear a burka upon puberty, or will a nice decent covering pair of trousers suit you, Sir?

As for being honked at not being intimidating, being a joke and a giggle, a flirt and a bit of fun- NO. It is not OK to assert your power over someone else for your own thrills, and a man slowing down, leering over and/or 'honking' at a woman does count. As for the arguement that women do it to men too- when there is an INTERNATIONAL CRISIS with women sexually abusing/ raping /mutilating/ sexually threatening/ grooming/ enslaving men, I will acknowledge your counter-arguement, until then- those women could do with a lesson- you can fight that corner if you're bothered? It may well be that some of the men who do this 'honking' don't realise that it is threatening, but scarier than that ignorance is when men hear the case and still profess it's harmless!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't think Girls are in any way "asking" for it... but there is a line you shouldn't cross with howfar you go.

Arm girls with these and then they na fire at cars. HEheh.
    Well, I have my own personal limit as to what's decent and what's not, but my point with the burka was- who draws he line? And, as your line and my line may well be different, 'honking' when 'you' think the other person has crossed said line is... still wrong.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, I don't think honking is alright. It's also against the Highway code.

I think something like a wink or wave or such that is ok. Leaning out and shouting, nope. The RPG would also be good for those who block the yellow box.
    huh? the yellow box is there so you get a head start when your way is clear isn't it?
    I thought it was there because they had so much spare paint left over that they decided to do something pretty with it :p
    or, yellow box means- 'cyclists wait here, then ride off sloooowly to see how soon you can die'?
    Yellow box, what yellow box?
    I'm only after crying my eyes out wif my sister over a 1 year old baby who died recently...good friend of the family too...fucking bawling my eyes out over her...do think I'm a neanderthal. a inefficiant human, well that's the diffenrece, I'm a human and the rest are fucking wankers"! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    katralla wrote:
    As for the arguement that women do it to men too- when there is an INTERNATIONAL CRISIS with women sexually abusing/ raping /mutilating/ sexually threatening/ grooming/ enslaving men, I will acknowledge your counter-arguement, until then- those women could do with a lesson- you can fight that corner if you're bothered?

I'm sure I've misunderstood what you're saying, as it looks like you're implying that because it happens less to men that it's somehow less of an issue?
    OMG I'm 23 and over the hill :(

*Snorts*

You daft mare, of course you're not!! :lol:

The best years are yet to come.
    You don't understand. Some idiots on a random internet site have decided that I'm old. Everything else they say makes perfect sense. Now my life is over :(

Oh, ok then. ;);)

Yes, of course, 23 is ancient and life after the age of 20 is meaningless. :lol:
    That means I only have 4 months left of meaningful life! :nervous:
    That means I only have 4 months left of meaningful life! :nervous:

Quick! Go out and start making the most of it now! Can't you feel yourself creeping ever closer to the grave?!
    Do you think I should start working on my epitaph, and chose the coffin quite soon?
    Do you think I should start working on my epitaph, and chose the coffin quite soon?

No silly, what do you think middle age is for?
    Having a crisis! :D
    You're young from where I'm sitting...
    Who, me or GWST?
    4 years of life left for me then! :p

it'll go quick :( i only started senior school 2 minutes ago now in september i'll be starting a levels
    Who, me or GWST?

all of you