Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student stuff's making me anxious

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been reading up a bit about student life recently, trying to learn what I can about university before starting. Unfortunately, I've read a few articles that have made me rather anxious. I'm nervous about a few things, one is about being a "mature student". I've read that other students don't think much of these. Is that true? How are mature students seen by those who have just come out of college, or those who got in after a gap year?

Also, just one or two other things. How much stuff do you need to take down with you to university? And overall, what are the best and worst things about student life?

Any replies, much appreciated. xxxx
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You are in no way a mature student.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    You are in no way a mature student.
    Eh? What are you on about? I'm 21 now, I'll still be 21 on starting and under the definitions I've seen, I will be a mature student.
  • Options
    people won't realise you're a mature student at your age. i was 20 going on 21 when i started my (second!) course and people just thought i had come straight from doing A levels.

whatever you do don't go around saying, 'but i'm 21.....i'm older than you, you know....oh, i feel so old', cause then everyone will just think you're a prick.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    people won't realise you're a mature student at your age. i was 20 going on 21 when i started my (second!) course and people just thought i had come straight from doing A levels.

whatever you do don't go around saying, 'but i'm 21.....i'm older than you, you know....oh, i feel so old', cause then everyone will just think you're a prick.
    Nah, I don't think I'll have to tell anyone that straight away. Few people look their age, after all. What I'm effectively asking is, does age matter at university?

And what about my other questions? :p
  • Options
    i never tell people im a mature student, Barry has just been shocked to death at the fact im nearly 25 as he says i dont look it at all. if you don't say anything, there is no reason you should be judged on it...unless you act like a miserable git!! :razz:
  • Options
    i never tell people im a mature student, Barry has just been shocked to death at the fact im nearly 25 as he says i dont look it at all. if you don't say anything, there is no reason you should be judged on it...unless you act like a miserable git!! :razz:
    You could have fooled me too! :)
  • Options
    Even if you were a mature student most students wouldnt give a toss, and you're NOT a mature student.

As for being a student you need;

- Kettle
    - Computer
    - Clothes
    - Any bathroom stuff needed
    - Money

And depending on accomadation

- Stuff to be able to cook food in
    - Fridge

Simple really, just get stuck in, everyone else there is new too so meet people, join activities, drink, and most importantly stop being quite so bloody ernest about every little thing.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Eh? What are you on about? I'm 21 now, I'll still be 21 on starting and under the definitions I've seen, I will be a mature student.

The only people i know who are considered mature students are at least 30 something.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Even if you were a mature student, most students wouldn't give a toss, and you're NOT a mature student.
    Why not?
    As for being a student you need;
    - Kettle
    - Computer
    - Clothes
    - Any bathroom stuff needed
    - Money
    And depending on accomadation
    - Stuff to be able to cook food in
    - Fridge
    Simple really, just get stuck in, everyone else there is new too so meet people, join activities, drink, and most importantly stop being quite so bloody ernest about every little thing.
    Never thought I'd say this, but thank you Bongbudda.
  • Options
    coz like it has been said, it's not really 21 yr olds who are considered mature students....30 plus.
  • Options
    coz like it has been said, it's not really 21 yr olds who are considered mature students....30 plus.
    I was referring to the more formal definition that universities use - are you saying it's irrelevant?
  • Options
    :yes: doesn't define u as a person if u don't let it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Why not?

Never thought I'd say this, but thank you Bongbudda.

Why not? Well because your not old you muppet.

Not a problem, always ready to help.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I was referring to the more formal definition that universities use - are you saying it's irrelevant?

The other students arent going to have the university rule book in their pocket are they!
  • Options
    You are not a mature student at all, if you are concerned about it being a problem it will be because it may show through in your personality. As its been said if you go round banging on about being slightly older than some people its gonna piss them off, you dont even need to mention age. A mate of mine at uni is a 35 year old Albanian woman with a son but she gets along with other students ok. It wont matter about your age, any way as its been said 21's not really a mature student.
  • Options
    murf wrote:
    You are not a mature student at all, if you are concerned about it being a problem it will be because it may show through in your personality.

Exactly, everyone will just think your a fast growing 12 year old.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly, everyone will just think your a fast growing 12 year old.
    :lol:
  • Options
    you'll find that the majority of people at uni are a lot more open minded anyway so age wont matter. especially yours anyway, i know loads of people in their early 20s, late 20s, 30s etc and i dont think of them as any different to me. i started a course at uni when i was 18 and another one when i was nearly 20 and it made no difference. to be honest, people dont really go round asking how old each other are anyway. i dont see why people would think any less of you for being a bit older.. you're all students!

things to take down with you depends on how big the room you have is and what sort of person you are. i take SO much stuff with me but you really dont need that much at all, what Bongbudda said really. and if you forget something its not like youll be living where there are no shops!

best bits - meeting loads of new people, having more freedom, studying something im actually interested in and want to do, independence, learning new things, it's a whole new life really if you put the effort in.

worst bits - hmm i guess moving away from home? although i wasnt homesick at all but it was a big change having to do absolutely everything for myself - if you dont do it, noone else will! i guess the first few weeks when you're getting to know everyone and making friends can be scary, but good too. i guess just learning how to manage your time properly and remembering you do need to work as well as go out can be hard. but overall i think uni is amazing. it's been so good for me.
  • Options
    people dont give a fig about age at uni, its the great thing about it. On my course theres a lady in her fourties and everyone was speaking to her and stuff; well before she became a moaning tosser anyway.

theres 2 married couples on my course, one of the couples are in their thirties i think.

Everyone speaks to anyone as long as they are nice.
  • Options
    I was the youngest person on my course when I started and I was 20 (combination of a gap year and a september birthday) the oldest person was 70!! So i really wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. That's disspelled a few mysteries. I've just received an email from UWE Bristol, one of the places I applied for, with a whole heap of info - open days, student finances, etc. I just might be able to do this. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    people dont give a fig about age at uni, its the great thing about it.
    Everyone speaks to anyone as long as they are nice.

Agreed! :yes: Age means nothing at Uni. There are quite a few mature students on my course, everyone gets along and they don't get treated any differently than those who aren't mature students. Nobody is going to know that you are a mature student anyway at your age as others have said, so don't worry about it! As long as you make an effort to get on with people and don't make out like you know more just because you are that bit older, then you won't have a problem! My ex housemate had that attitude (she was only 22!) which wound people no end!!

As for stuff to take...you've probably read it already but have you had a look at the "Advice For Those Going Off To University For The First Time" thread? Theres loads of stuff in there.
  • Options
    I'm a "mature" student (22) and have friends mostly around my age. People don't think anything of it really, although you notice differences in maturity of people.

Uni rocks, you'll love it mate.
  • Options
    :lol: i don't think they'll see you as a mature student. besides they're not exactly going to say 'hello, how old are you?'. maybe 21 is classed as being a mature student, but other students won't see you in that way.

there was a thread a few weeks ago about the best and worst bits of uni (that type of thing anyway). stop worrying and just look forward to it!
  • Options
    SG your may be classed as a mature student, but no-one will think you are. I'm 20 and I'm the youngest on my course, about half the course are over 30.

It natural to feel worried as its new to you, but you'll be fine!
  • Options
    SG your may be classed as a mature student, but no-one will think you are. I'm 20 and I'm the youngest on my course, about half the course are over 30.

It natural to feel worried as its new to you, but you'll be fine!
    Everyone keeps saying that. I've noticed a few weak areas though where I'll need to improve - cooking, for one! Quite simply, I need to learn far more about it before starting. :blush:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Everyone keeps saying that. I've noticed a few weak areas though where I'll need to improve - cooking, for one! Quite simply, I need to learn far more about it before starting. :blush:
    You will be a student. That means takeaways and microwaves.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    You will be a student. That means takeaways and microwaves.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I've nothing against takeaways and microwaves. Indeed, they have proven to be my best friends on some nights - but I want to be able to cook a little more than I can now regardless. Maybe I'm being too sensible here.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Well I said I'd cook at uni, and I have done properly about 6 times since September. Sure I've thrown stuff in the oven and microwave but I havent properly cooked much. Cooking properly is a good idea, but its always too much effort, and I'm usually too busy to bother.
  • Options
    same here. it seems like a good idea but its so much easier to shove something in the oven or microwave. i guess it could work out cheaper if you bought things and cooked properly. but uno.. smartprice all the way!!