Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

slow pc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just lately my pc is running really slowly, any suggestions why this could be?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you're sure your hardware works correctly, all I can think of (assuming you're in windows) is a clogged up registry (too many programs installed, even if they were uninstalled later) or too many programs starting on startup (press ctrl+alt+del to see).
  • Options
    might be spyware or adware too
  • Options
    do you have maintenance software ...like sytem mechanic and adaware tools etc?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:

What is it slow at?

What do you have running?

What's the specification of the PC?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:

1. Heastsink could have fallen off the CPU, and the CPU is throttling itself.
    2. Hard drive may have many errors, and is constantly re-allocating sector
    3. Your keyboard, mouse and monitor are 932 miles away from the rest of your system, and are using extremely long extension leads. This is causing something of a delay between doing something and seeing the results.
    4. Windows has been installed for far too long(more than a month), and needs wiping to erase all the useless crud that accumulates.

Could really do with just a little more information than 'my pc is running really slowly'. What is running slowly? When does it do it? How old is the computer? When did you last reinstall? What happened to the computer in the days before it started running slowly?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    3. Your keyboard, mouse and monitor are 932 miles away from the rest of your system, and are using extremely long extension leads. This is causing something of a delay between doing something and seeing the results.
    4. Windows has been installed for far too long(more than a month), and needs wiping to erase all the useless crud that accumulates.

:lol: Sadly 4 is slightly true. I need to reinstall myself, windows has gone all fucko as it sometimes does. Settings gone mad etc.
  • Options
    Need more info... but you should delete all files you don't need.... and do a disk defragment (Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragment)

You should do this often, at least once a month.
  • Options

?
    once month!!!!!!!!
    no way.
    get system mechanic pro 6 ...it maintains yur comp very well.
  • Options
    It was somewhat tongue in cheek. ;)

Obviously, Windows can be fast for up to three months. So long as you don't turn it on or use it!!! :)

Nah, Windows can be good for a year - sometimes more. But it degrades rapidly when software is installed and removed often. Defragging and whatnot only go so far toward getting the speed back - the only real solution is to back up data and start from scratch.

I'm not saying all Windows systems become slow and unresponsive. They just don't seem to handle life too well when lots of packages are added and removed.
  • Options
    It seems to be really slow when first turned on, don't really have much running at the same time either.
  • Options
    Few stuff you can do and should do often...

I. Using basic window tools to do

1. Disk Cleanup (can be found by right clicking on a HD)
    2. Defragmentation (can be found by right clicking on a HD)

Tools you should get for spyware

1. Spybot - Search & Destroy (Free and efficient, just google it to find it)
    2. Ad-aware (their is a free and non-free pro version)

Check your startup folder in 3 different places

1. C:\Documents and Settings\yourwindowuersnam\Start Menu\Programs\Startup --> This is your user specific

2. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup --> This is for all users accounts for the system

3. C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup --> This one most of the time will be empty already

Check your registry setting to see if more app are launch at startup

Open the registry editor like that:
    Start Menu -> Click Run => Type regedit and press Enter

Then go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/windows/Current Version/Run --> Remove all the necessary keys (if you are not sure if you need the key or not leave it, if it is for a spyware or something else the remover software should find it, never remove something if you are not sure it is useless)

Do the same in HKEY_LOCAL_USER/Software/Microsoft/windows/Current Version/Run

After doing all of that your system doesn't speed up, which would surprise me, well then it is probably hardware based.
  • Options
    download system mechanic pro six demo...then go get yourself a crack.
    brilliant bit of kit.
  • Options
    Nah, Windows can be good for a year

damnit... that's probably why mine's becomming sluggish :(
  • Options
    ok all the computer jargon has made me confused. :confused: