Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Slowing cars down...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I disagree. To some men it might be a display of power, however I'm sure to most it's just a bit of unwise 'fun'. As Skive says, shouting obscenities is wrong, no argument there but whistling, shouting 'wahey!' and that sort of thing is hardly sexual abuse. Neanderthal behaviour possibly though.

It's true that some women see it as fun, again though, not *all*.

I don't know any women who see it as fun, not when you talk to them seriously about it. They might pretend its "fun" so they don't end up having to justify their feelings to arseholes.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote:
    I was freezing because of the skirt tbh :p.
    Well that's what I meant, didn't you know you'd be freezing if you wore it before?
    Kermit wrote:
    Well yes.

But do you know who's been attacked before shouting the obscenities? No.

So you could be shouting it at a woman who has a very real reason to be terrified of you. Which is disgusting. As you've just said.

That's absurd. Yes, that would be highly unfortunate, but you're talking a small exception.

Anyway, a bunch of women tarted up in short skirts (the sort who attract leering) are obviously looking for male attention.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    No, it really isn't.

It's an invasion of privacy, it can be very threatening, and no man has the right to do that.

Yeah, it sounds terribly boring, but hey. Why should a woman have to "deal with it" simply because some mental deficient is too fucking selfish to keep his tongue to himself?

You cannot go round treating everybody with kid gloves. It's stupid.
    It's not to clever to aim it at women on their own either, but a group of women then I really see no problem.
    Weekender Offender 
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't know any women who see it as fun, not when you talk to them seriously about it. They might pretend its "fun" so they don't end up having to justify their feelings to arseholes.

Ah fuck up would ya...you're just assuming that. How do you know some girls actually do like it. Afraid it won't conform to your idea of gendered attitudes in modern society or something.
    Blagsta wrote:

Really? You must know some strange women then.
    Blagsta wrote:

Slow down Tonto, no need to resort to the playground just because I disagree with you.

You say you don't know any women who see it as fun - perhaps the ones you've spoken to don't want to justify their feelings to arseholes.....
    Zalbor wrote:
    Well that's what I meant, didn't you know you'd be freezing if you wore it before?
    Yeh.

I was trying to make myself look good for somebody.
    Blagsta wrote:

No. I've just asked my sister what she thought on this, and she replied that she really doesn't mind and often thinks it's funny.
    Weekender Offender 
    Spliffie wrote:
    That's absurd. Yes, that would be highly unfortunate, but you're talking a small exception.

Anyway, a bunch of women tarted up in short skirts (the sort who attract leering) are obviously looking for male attention.

Obviously.... because Im sure women dont wear clothes just because they feel or look nice. In the summer for example, I'm sure its more comfortable for a girl to wear a skirt than trousers.

Im not suprised that its the usual suspects acting without respect for others.
    turlough wrote:
    This is my point. Why should anyone give a fuck what someone shouts out a window at them...nevermind cry about it.

Because quite a lot of people, especially lone women, do feel nervous when a car full of lads starts slowing down, beeping the horn, shouting things.

And they're right to. The men doing it are at fault, not the people for feeling it. That's what it boils down to.

Yes, it is just meant as a bit of fun, a compliment. But it can be seen as threatening. And why should someone have to deal with it just because of some selfish braindead neanderthal?

I'm sure some people do find it fun. But most women don't; as Blaggy says, they just pretend to because it's easier. Most women I know would rather the neanderthals would just sod off and leave them alone.
    turlough wrote:
    Ah fuck up would ya...you're just assuming that. How do you know some girls actually do like it. Afraid it won't conform to your idea of gendered attitudes in modern society or something.

I said that "I don't know any women that like it". And I don't. What the fuck that has to do with "gendered attitudes in modern society", I don't know, apart from making you look like a twat.
    Skive wrote:
    No. I've just asked my sister what she thought on this, and she replied that she really doesn't mind and often thinks it's funny.

How old is your sister?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do you feel you have the right to comment on how complete strangers look?

So it;s wrong to comment upon what other people look like?
    Weekender Offender 
    Blagsta wrote:
    How old is your sister?

Weekender Offender 
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote:
    Yeh.

I was trying to make myself look good for somebody.
    If the "for somebody" part was missing, that would be the kind of thing I was talking about (a choice that makes sense). With the "for somebody" part, it makes some more sense.
    Skive wrote:
    So it;s wrong to comment upon what other people look like?

Oh for fucks sake. :mad: :rolleyes:
    Skive wrote:

Young then. IME younger women are less likely to think about it in any serious way.
    Blagsta wrote:
    How old is your sister?

I doubt you're her type mate :D
    Kermit wrote:
    Because quite a lot of people, especially lone women, do feel nervous when a car full of lads starts slowing down, beeping the horn, shouting things.

And they're right to. The men doing it are at fault, not the people for feeling it. That's what it boils down to.

Yes, it is just meant as a bit of fun, a compliment. But it can be seen as threatening. And why should someone have to deal with it just because of some selfish braindead neanderthal?

I'm sure some people do find it fun. But most women don't; as Blaggy says, they just pretend to because it's easier. Most women I know would rather the neanderthals would just sod off and leave them alone.

Women do it a hell of a lot aswell. Is that wrong?
    Weekender Offender 
    Slow down Tonto, no need to resort to the playground just because I disagree with you.

I haven't. If you think that arsehole comment applied to you, then maybe that's telling you something eh?
    Skive wrote:
    You cannot go round treating everybody with kid gloves. It's stupid.

I completely agree.

But it's not "treating someone with kid gloves" to keep your lip buttoned and your hand off the horn.
    It's not to clever to aim it at women on their own either, but a group of women then I really see no problem.

It wouldn't be as threatening with a group, but people I know would certainly prefer it didn't happen. And it shouldn't.

Unless you know someone likes it, you should assume they don't. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    Skive wrote:

Do you really think its the same?
    Blagsta wrote:
    So what are you proposing? That before you shout out of a car, you ask the woma first if she's been raped?

If they're tarted up and obviously looking for attention then i think it's a safe bet they ain't going to be bothered by a few rowdy compliments.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I said that "I don't know any women that like it". And I don't. What the fuck that has to do with "gendered attitudes in modern society", I don't know, apart from making you look like a twat.

Nah you usually come out with some shit about society and how people act within the context and bla bla bla. Some women do like it, is it so hard to grasp this simple concept. Maybe that's your weak point, trying to find out complex meanings to simple everyday things.

Kermit, why should the woman feel vulnerable, weak? If I was a woman and didn't like it I'd give them the fingers or chuck a brick at the car...and you say that rape victims might feel even more vulnerable, I thought being the victim of a rape and seeking advice for would just strengthens a woman's convictions.
    Skive wrote:

I haven't come across it half as much. Round here it tends to be tossers in Novas that do it.

But the ones that do do it, yeah, it is wrong.

But as has been explained countless times before, the social dynamics are different that way around. Women don't tend to get a knife and drag you down an alleyway before raping you, do they?
    Blagsta wrote:

Why not just cut to chase and explain why you think it ain't?
    Blagsta wrote:

So because a man's stronger means it's different. Ok?????
    Spliffie wrote:
    If they're tarted up and obviously looking for attention then i think it's a safe bet they ain't going to be bothered by a few rowdy compliments.

So they're asking for it are they?
    turlough wrote:
    Nah you usually come out with some shit about society and how people act within the context and bla bla bla. Some women do like it, is it so hard to grasp this simple concept. Maybe that's your weak point, trying to find out complex meanings to simple everyday things.

Kermit, why should the woman feel vulnerable, weak? If I was a woman and didn't like it I'd give them the fingers or chuck a brick at the car...and you say that rape victims might feel even more vulnerable, I thought being the victim of a rape and seeking advice for would just strengthens a woman's convictions.

Are you really this dumb? Or are you trolling again?