Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going Crazy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok heres the thing.
Since about last easter I've been feeling really spaced out, detatched from whats going on around me almost like im in some sort of cucoon :nervous:.
I can still function normally, talk, do stuff- just feel slightly spaced away from it. Iv talked to people and they've said im fine, nothing to worry about but the thing is it wont go away.
I think it must be a psychological thing. I dwell on it a bit which must have a negative effect. It just bothers me that its there and that I spend so much time thinking about it!!! I really cant think what its down to- dont do any drugs that much (only occasional use), not a heavy drinker, get normal sleeping hours etc... So whats wrong with me?
Sorry for sounding a bit melodramatic but it just bugs me thats all.
Thanks
Jon

Comments

• Options
    i have this same sorta thing...if its like youre life is passing by before youre eyes and you are sorta on looking...like nothing is real? my friend said meditation helps to heed this feeling but i dunno...it doesnt bother me so i dont do anything about it.

sorry ive been no help.
  • Options
    Smush wrote:
    ok heres the thing.
    Since about last easter I've been feeling really spaced out, detatched from whats going on around me almost like im in some sort of cucoon :nervous:.
    I can still function normally, talk, do stuff- just feel slightly spaced away from it. Iv talked to people and they've said im fine, nothing to worry about but the thing is it wont go away.
    I think it must be a psychological thing. I dwell on it a bit which must have a negative effect. It just bothers me that its there and that I spend so much time thinking about it!!! I really cant think what its down to- dont do any drugs that much (only occasional use), not a heavy drinker, get normal sleeping hours etc... So whats wrong with me?
    Thanks
    Jon

I get that from time to time. Drug use might have something to do with it, you're not going insane although you may dwell on it alot and maybe even take the odd panic attack, you'll be alright. Just reassure yourself that you're not insane and those negative thoughts will be turned into positive one's.
  • Options
    Smush wrote:
    ok heres the thing.
    Thanks
    Jon

DRUGS.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I doubt it. I get that too sometimes, and the worst drug I've had since '99 is depon (paracetamol).
  • Options
    Well if he's taking psychedelic drugs then that's the obvious answer. Even smoking a bit of dope can lead to a long-term change in perception.

Doesn't mean you're insane, being a bit spaced isn't necessarily a big deal. if you stop doing drugs completely then it'll probably just pass, especially if it's just occasional.
  • Options
    Sounds like derealisation or depersonalisation, often linked to anxiety or post-traumatic stress.
    http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Understanding/Understanding+dissociative+disorders.htm
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sounds like derealisation or depersonalisation, often linked to anxiety or post-traumatic stress.
    http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Understanding/Understanding+dissociative+disorders.htm

yup, i get this quite a lot (it feels like i am watching myself do things, or that i am not controlling what i say or do, even though i can hear myself saying the right things, and i am doing what i want to). it can be pretty scary, but i've been told it's a normal and pretty common feature of anxiety and panic disorders.

the weird thing is that i get it more when i'm less anxious. maybe cause i'm not distracted i notice it more? not sure.
  • Options
    or just the type of feeling like numbness / detatchment.
    its pretty normal i guess depending on what is happening around you.
  • Options
    Its just been going on for a bit now and its starting to piss me off lol- almost feels like I wont be able to enjoy stuff because this im detached from it you get me? Thanks for all the replies anyway, anyone else who feels like this itd be great to hear from.
    Thanks
    Jon
  • Options
    My therapist told me i disassociate, which i think is similar in that its usually due to anxiety or PTSD. I have neither. But i sometimes feel like im not really here because i shut out emotions that i find hard to deal with. So for example when my Nan was very ill, the rest of the family would be crying, and I'd just feel nothing. Empty and blank. But then afterwards when she got better and i was alone, it hit me.
    It irritates the hell out of my boyfriend when we argue because i shut it out and dont give a shit, until im ready. Selfish but its not soemthing i can choose to do!!!!
  • Options
    I feel like this a lot tbh. I get the feeling sometimes if i look in a mirror that im just like a shell and its not really me im seeing, its really surreal because its like im looking at myself but its not me its somebody else and im trapped inside...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I feel like this a lot tbh. I get the feeling sometimes if i look in a mirror that im just like a shell and its not really me im seeing, its really surreal because its like im looking at myself but its not me its somebody else and im trapped inside...

I get that too. Sometimes I look in the mirror and my face changes into a different face :crazyeyes
  • Options
    does some of this stuff not put you off drugs?

Or is this case probably not drug related?