Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Leaving University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i have about 5 months left at uni :crying:
i live with 7 girls and theyre like my best friends. it will be heartbreaking to leave them and my lovely life in leeds. its going to be so depressing when i have to move back home with my parents. less independence, less fun :(

does anyone else feel scared? what are your plans for when you graduate?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hopefully to go do a masters somewhere... it will suck being away from everyone who I've made freinds with over the years though :(
    you could always stay there, maybe if you fail this year. :p
    aye it is a bit depressing, do you really have to move back home? it wasn't really an option for me, so i sorted a job and just stayed in london, this way i still keep in touch with my uni mates, well some of them anyways........you will always lose touch with people it's a harsh reality, i do my best to see all the boys when i can, we managed to all meet up in london before christmas and we hadn't gone out all together in about 6 months, it was really good to catch up.........i'm just about to move again for the 5th time in 4 years so will probably lose touch with most of my flatmates, which is a shame, but then i will have new housemates so looking forward to it as well, with every end there is a new beginning, you can't avoid it (unless you fail :P) so might as well embrace it......
    I've still got a year and a half left. Once I graduate, I'm off to Argentina for a month or so and then hopefully starting a job in London so me and Mrs. T are gonna get a place up there.
    Yeah I've got five months left as well. Same worries.

But I don't really get on with my mum so moving back isn't an option. Either I'm going to move into a flat with a mate in london or else a few of us are going to pick a city sort out jobs and a place to stay and start over in a whole new place.

Either way should be good fun. At the end of the day its the people that makes uni so good...if you can find a way to live with your mates after this year you should be able to fend off boredom and routine for another few years :p
    i can't stay in leeds because i want to go travelling so i need to move back home in order to save up.
    i guess i should start thinking about travelling really and get excited about it. i just get sad because its like the end of an era.
    ah well.
    im friends with a third year at my uni, im a first year, but my friends on bout gettin a house in lincoln with a few mates a stayin here
    Not completely sure why moving back home from Leeds is absolutely necessary, do you just want to live somewhere with lower rent? :p

Personally, I think that after university, I may stay in the city I'm studying in for a while before moving into London. Or wherever there's a job for me. That said, maybe come 2009, my perspective will be completely different.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Not completely sure why moving back home from Leeds is absolutely necessary, do you just want to live somewhere with lower rent? :p

Personally, I think that after university, I may stay in the city I'm studying in for a while before moving into London. Or wherever there's a job for me. That said, maybe come 2009, my perspective will be completely different.

yes, you'll probably find that realistically you won't be able to find a job that quickly and therefore won't be able to afford to not go home.

also, as lipsy said she wants to save to go travelling.
    yes, you'll probably find that realistically you won't be able to find a job that quickly and therefore won't be able to afford to not go home.

also, as lipsy said she wants to save to go travelling.
    In my case, that's the problem. Home is a dump where there are no jobs. So, I absolutely am not coming back here under any circumstances.

As for Lipsy, I don't get this fuss about travelling. I think that someone straight out of university should be getting on with work myself instead of gallivanting round the world, but each to their own.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    In my case, that's the problem. Home is a dump where there are no jobs. So, I absolutely am not coming back here under any circumstances.

As for Lipsy, I don't get this fuss about travelling. I think that someone straight out of university should be getting on with work myself instead of gallivanting round the world, but each to their own.

wtf? 'gallivanting' around the world? she's going travelling no doubt to meet some new people, have some fun and see the world before she settles down to get a job. after 3 years of hard work (and fun..!) at uni i wouldn't blame anyone who wanted to have a break before working full time or whatever.

okay...so if you go home after uni..you say there's no jobs but least you'll have a roof over your head. how would you propose to have a roof over your head if you end up being unemployed for a while after uni?
    wtf? 'gallivanting' around the world? she's going travelling no doubt to meet some new people, have some fun and see the world before she settles down to get a job. after 3 years of hard work (and fun..!) at uni i wouldn't blame anyone who wanted to have a break before working full time or whatever.
    You're bogged down with student debt, you've got to utilise your degree for something... last thing I'd want to do is go on a jolly round the world, I'd be far more worried about getting a job, paying off those debts, keeping a roof over my head, that sort of thing. Just my personal view, I emphasise.
    okay...so if you go home after uni..you say there's no jobs but least you'll have a roof over your head. how would you propose to have a roof over your head if you end up being unemployed for a while after uni?
    Taking a job initially that doesn't involve using your degree? We know that competition is huge, so I might have to settle for less to start with.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You're bogged down with student debt, you've got to utilise your degree for something... last thing I'd want to do is go on a jolly round the world, I'd be far more worried about getting a job, paying off those debts, keeping a roof over my head, that sort of thing. Just my personal view, I emphasise. Taking a job initially that doesn't involve using your degree? We know that competition is huge, so I might have to settle for less to start with.

yes you might have to settle for NO job to start with. you need to be realistic. as far as i'm aware most people return home after they've finished university for whatever length of time.

'you've got to utilise your degree for something'? i'm sure lipsy will, but what's the rush?! and student debt doesn't start accruing interest until you earn something like £15k and that's hardly likely if you're working in mcdonalds.
    'you've got to utilise your degree for something'? i'm sure lipsy will, but what's the rush?! and student debt doesn't start accruing interest until you earn something like £15k and that's hardly likely if you're working in mcdonalds.

aye...

infact I kind of view student debt (with the SLC) as extra tax rather than debt :p

it's removed automatically from your paycheck once you begin earning over (something like) £15k. so it doesn't "bog you down" as such. unless you're in serious debt with the bank too of course.
    lipsy wrote:
    i have about 5 months left at uni :crying:
    i live with 7 girls and theyre like my best friends. it will be heartbreaking to leave them and my lovely life in leeds. its going to be so depressing when i have to move back home with my parents. less independence, less fun :(

does anyone else feel scared? what are your plans for when you graduate?

hell of a scary thing leaving uni imo. i think i've had a pretty rough time here tbh. but hopefully and if everything goes according to plan, when i graduate i should be off spending a year in south africa working and training on safari. - seriously! :)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i know exactly how u feel lipsy. i have to leave then too, and its going to be so sad, u make all these friends and then u have to leave them, and although u say u will keep in touch, everyone lives so far away, so it will be hard. just remember that these have been amazing years and u have to make an effort to make the last few months special (in and around the exams obviously!) and if u want to moan, just pm me, coz i know exactly how u feel sweetie
    student debt doesn't start accruing interest until you earn something like £15k
    :no: Student debt starts accuring interest from the day you receive your first installment.

Of my student debt about £2000 of it is just interest, and interest on the interest. I've not finished university yet.

It's just that you don't start paying it back until you earn over a certain amount (which depends which year you started university in as the level keeps changing).
    stargalaxy wrote:
    what a ridiculous statement :confused:
    i want to see the world, experience different cultures, meet new people and visit beautiful places. and what better time to do that than before i start on the corporate ladder which i'll be climbing for the next 40years.

also, employers always ask whether you have travelled extensively, especially for jobs like marketing. travelling is character building and increases confidence.
    I don't want to leave Uni either. It's gone far too quickly! :(

I don't have the option of moving back home anymore, so hopefully I will be renting a flat with my boyfriend and staying down where I'm at Uni.

Luckily a few of my friends are either from around here or are staying down here anyway, so hopefully it won't be too lonely!

I'm really worried about not being able to find a job and not being able to afford somewhere to live though.
    \
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm sorry stargalaxy but I have to disagree with you here.

After I finish university, I am going to go travelling for a year. I want to experience different cultures, visit new and exciting places and meet new people. Its an opportunity I won't be offered later on in life. I want to see a bit of the world before settling down in a full time job, buying a house and starting a family.

After 3 years of working hard at University, 2 years of working hard at college and all those years at school, I think just taking one year of your life doing the things you want isn't going to do that much harm.

I'm going to go travelling, I will regret it if I don't.

As for the whole debt thingy, stop stressing so much about it.