Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Phone tracking! :O

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, this is a fantastic looking website that lets you track your friends by where their mobile phones are!

http://www.world-tracker.com

It's free (at least for the first phone you add) and you can check it whenever you like and it can produce a fancy map telling you where the mobile phone is (Handy if it gets stolen me thinks!)

Anyway check out this screenshot...

wowsers.JPG

The "1" number is where it thinks I am and the red dot is where I actually am. Impressive stuff I think! :)

Comments

• Options
    cool, so if you put an old mobile in your boot you've basically got a car tracker should yours be stolen?
  • Options
    Theoretically, yes. But you'd have to have a way of keeping said phone charged.

On closer inspection you can lookup the location of the phone, but you have to buy credits to be able to update the location information. It's a fiver for 25 lookups i think, or a quid for 5.

Still quite interesting. Nice concept regardless
  • Options
    BTW couldn't see any bit that says first phone is free.

only thing I could see is you earn free credit if someone signs up using your link like this

http://www.world-tracker.com/?AID=QRNREDMRDRDL

But I'm thinking I have an old Nokia and a car charger for it and inthe back of my car is always a car starter with a ciggie socket so could plug the phone into that and I'd have a home made car tracker??
  • Options
    Hm, I dunno how the pricing works exactly, It's all a bit complex.

Be careful running your phone off a cig lighter though, if it was left on charge around the clock it might drain your car battery :s
  • Options
    Before anyone gets too excited, I believe all public tracking tools require registration of a handset - you can't just enter someones number, and then locate them. A message is sent to the mobile requesting permission to track.

Would be cool to see where everyone was though ;).

Oh, and it'd take a fair while to run a car battery down via a mobile phone, especially if the mobile was sitting in one location, and not maintaining a call. If you only used the vehicle one day per week, then I guess it'd be fine to leave the mobile hidden in the vehicle.

So long as the battery on the car was good ;).
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Hm, I dunno how the pricing works exactly, It's all a bit complex.

Be careful running your phone off a cig lighter though, if it was left on charge around the clock it might drain your car battery :s

I meant I have a battery starter in the boot just in case my car battery ever died.

Used to happen loads when I had a crappy Sony MiniDisc player. The clock onthe Sony would run the battery right down

The portable starter had a ciggie adaptor on it.

They say when a car is fitted with a tracker it usually finds 5 to 10 other stolen cars as wel cos when the thiefs nick it they take it back to their hide out where there's more stolen cars

Really we have so many unused mobile phones - this would be a good way to put them to use with a PAYG SIM Card - actualyl Tesco SIM's are on sale for like £1.77p would that work with this? I know it's O2 network.
  • Options
    Good idea, I think I had 10 free credits with a company like this when I signed up with Vodafone last year.
  • Options
    dont mean to sound negative but, if your friend has a phone and it is charged, why not just call them and ask where they are? :p would have the same result and be slightly less stalker-ish hehe
    if a friend of mine said to me oh i know where you were today because i tracked your phone, i might be a little scared...... :p