Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fur

Another day, another PETA woman whingeing about fur, and saying someone think of the cutesy-wutsey animals.

Is there anything actually wrong with fur?

PETA rightly point out that man-made fibres are often just as effective (although not quite IMHO), and that there's "no need" for fur anymore. Fair enough, I'll grant them that.

But what do we do when the oil runs out? No energy to make the man-made fibres, and no oil to create them out of. Mink, on the other hand, are a renewable resource- in fact, wearing fur is more environmentally friendly. No oil mining, and no pollution from making polyester.

There is everything wrong with treating animals inhumanely, but there's nothing wrong with killing them humanely to provide us with fur, shoes and steak. Why should there be?

And should Pete Burns be facing the witch-hunt is he is facing? I don't think so. And I resent having to side for that cretin just because of the whingers at PETA.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pete birns is facing a with hunt because its endangered gorrilla fur, i believe.

I believe the fur trade is much the same as the meat and dairy industry. Exploiting animals for human gain.
    If you support one, then you havent got much call to campaign against the other, although i support any individuals right to boycott fur, or boycott meat etc.
    Hmm. I never know what to say when it comes to things like this. I guess its up to the individual. I wouldn't wear it - for one, I wouldn't be able to afford it. But I like the look of (fake) fur. And maybe if I had a second-hand coat passed on to me, I would keep it, but I don't like funding the current fur trade. I know that doesn't make much sense.
    I've become veggie once again since the new year because I felt guilty eating things that had been killed for a stupid sandwich. But I have plenty of leather shoes. So it's pretty hypocritical of me to accuse others of inhumanity.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    IMO, killing animals to eat is much different than killing animals so that some "lady" can show off to her friends her new fur coat. If we ate the same animals the fur comes from it would be fine.
    Although I'm a meat eater, I personally believe fur being used for fashion is disgusting, and anyone who campaigns against it I'm willing to support.

Although obviously, animals are killed for my food, there is a subtle difference. Food is something we cannot live without. Yes I could go without it, but you lose some of the nutirents, and as I'm just a sickly person anyway, I need all the help I can get.

Fur is a fashion statement. As much as I like stylish clothes, I could live without them alot easier than I'd live without meat.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Although I'm a meat eater, I personally believe fur being used for fashion is disgusting, and anyone who campaigns against it I'm willing to support.

Although obviously, animals are killed for my food, there is a subtle difference. Food is something we cannot live without. Yes I could go without it, but you lose some of the nutirents, and as I'm just a sickly person anyway, I need all the help I can get.

Fur is a fashion statement. As much as I like stylish clothes, I could live without them alot easier than I'd live without meat.

I'm with you on all of this. The only fur I wear is fake fur; never understood why anyone needs to kill animals for their fur anyway. It's not like we need it, like we need food.
    Zalbor wrote:
    IMO, killing animals to eat is much different than killing animals so that some "lady" can show off to her friends her new fur coat. If we ate the same animals the fur comes from it would be fine.
    why the fuck???
    honestly, i REALLY dont get that argument. Noones stopping you from eating minks. Or is rabbit fur ok but not mink?
    why are cows worth less than a polecat?
    There are fur substitutes and there are meat substitutes.
    You cant (logically) say that its unethical to kill a rabbit for an item of clothing but its ok to kill a pig for pork chops. If anything, the item of clothing is better value for the death surely?
    I'm with you on all of this. The only fur I wear is fake fur; never understood why anyone needs to kill animals for their fur anyway. It's not like we need it, like we need food.
    yes you need food, but you dont NEED meat. You really dont. You eat it cos you like it. Yes its good for you, but pretty much anything you get from meat, you can get from non animal sources.
    its more the way they're killed that bothers me, and how they're treated...
    for pure sake of fashion though, i think it's stupid
    yes you need food, but you dont NEED meat. You really dont. You eat it cos you like it. Yes its good for you, but pretty much anything you get from meat, you can get from non animal sources.

:yes: I was going to say that - I get people saying it to me all the time, but during the 2 years I was vegetarian, not once did my doctor say it was harming my health. But I don't fancy a debate tonight ;p
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Although obviously, animals are killed for my food, there is a subtle difference. Food is something we cannot live without.

You can do without the fillet steak and the bacon sandwiches though. Or are you seriously trying to say you would die without a Full English?

So why don't you do without meat? Why is your nice dinner worth more than an animals life? Hm?

I happen to think it is, but then I'm not the one arguing that killing an animal for fashion is wrong.

As I've said, I'm against the inhumane and cruel treatment of animals. I, for one, won't buy anything from IAMS because they torture animals in pointless experiments. I am quite prepared to let people boycott any product they choose.

The second they start harming my right to buy and wear what I want then they are wrong, and should be punished for it.
    why the fuck???
    honestly, i REALLY dont get that argument. Noones stopping you from eating minks. Or is rabbit fur ok but not mink?
    why are cows worth less than a polecat?
    There are fur substitutes and there are meat substitutes.
    You cant (logically) say that its unethical to kill a rabbit for an item of clothing but its ok to kill a pig for pork chops. If anything, the item of clothing is better value for the death surely?
    You completely missed the point. Food is a matter of survival; and yes, you don't have to eat meat, but it's generally thought to be good for you (in moderation of course, like everything). However I fail to see a drawback in not wearing fur.

yeah but it feel so good to know you are eating a dead animal, nothing can replace that... :naughty:

Also aren't vegetables living things anyway?

Why is it not ok to stop the life of an animal to eat it but it is ok to stop
    the life of vegetables?

And it doesn't matter if they got a brain or not, at the end you still stop life, you still stop reproduction, you still kill...

So if it is to stop life, I think we might as well stop the life of something tasty.

But hey I'm french i eat anything that move...
    Why do we have canine teeth if we don't need meat to survive?
    Zalbor wrote:
    Food is a matter of survival; and yes, you don't have to eat meat, but it's generally thought to be good for you (in moderation of course, like everything). However I fail to see a drawback in not wearing fur.

Meat isn't a matter of survival, which is the point.

You can get all the nutrients you need from vegetables and fruit. You can get the taste of meat from Quorn.

So why don't you? As I asked, why is your dinner more important than an animal, but why isn't a fur coat more important than an animal's life. The animal doesn't care why it's dead, it doesn't feel alright about being dead because it was eaten instead of worn.
    Are there any other animals that kill others to wear their fur?
    Killing for food == natural. Killing for fur == unnecessary. Simple as that.
    And maybe you don't need meat, as I said, but it's only natural to eat it.
    Panthro wrote:
    Why do we have canine teeth if we don't need meat to survive?

Cos we are carnivore...

It's in our nature...

After it is just the evolution of the way we think that make some people
    think it is not right.
    Kermit wrote:
    The animal doesn't care why it's dead, it doesn't feel alright about being dead because it was eaten instead of worn.

exactly. I dont see how anyone can argue against that.
    I couldnt give a hoot if someone eats meat or not, or if someones wearing a fur coat, although id much rather the animal was free range.
    If its dead its dead. Its over, poor animal, there there, but once its dead, i dont care if someone eats it, wears it or fucks it to be honest. the thing is DEAD.
    When its alive is when it feels things, and im completely against factory farming and the vast VAST majority of animal experiments.
    Let's not forget we are all animals anyway, we just think we are better than them cos we can think...

But why is it not ok to kill animals to eat them, when it is ok to build houses, buildings, car, trucks, warehouse and all the shit?

Cos all of that, just to bring us comfort, took the home of millions of animals
    and even eradicated some of them...

So at the end, no matter what we do we kill living things everyday...

So might as well eat meat :-)
    I have no opinion on the matter. Animals never done anything for me so I don't care much if the live or die.
    Zalbor wrote:

Well, I don't think animals quite have the capacity to make fur coats for themselves.

Killing for food ain't necessary either. We could all live as vegetarians if we so wished...

Man has killed for fur throughout history. It's entirely natural. If done humanely i don't have a serious problem with it.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well, I don't think animals quite have the capacity to make fur coats for themselves.

Killing for food ain't necessary either. We could all live as vegetarians if we so wished...

Man has killed for fur throughout history. It's entirely natural. If done humanely i don't have a serious problem with it.
    You're right about that. Actually I don't really have a problem with fur/leather in the sense of "Some clothes are made from it", the way that annoys me is when it's used to make clothes and stuff that exist for no other person so that the "lady" I mentioned before can show off.
    i have no problem with killing animals to eat and wear and so on, i have about 3 leather jackets myself........i think killing endangered (and that's the key word here) animals for their furs is pretty wrong, in much the same way as elephants and some tigers are killed to near extinction for their ivory so people can have nice little rugs and ornaments on their shelf........hell we are killing off every other species on this planet at a scary rate through pollution etc, do we really have to shoot them for their fur?.......
    I eat (very fucking rare) fillet steak :yum: and wear leather shoes. I think fur has a habit of looking quite naff, but I've no real problem with it.

I wonder what mink tastes like.
    It’s a personal ethical decision. If somebody wants to wear fur it’s their own personal choice. I don’t see what right animal rights activists have to dictate to people what they can and cannot wear. If somebody doesn’t want to wear fur that’s up to them but they don’t have any right to force their values on other people.

I personally wouldn’t wear fur but it’s none of my business if other people do. (Although I would object to someone wearing the fur of an endangered animal).

The likes of PETA are made up of sad and pathetic people anyway. When there are people starving to death and without clean water I really think money and resources would be better directed towards charities like Oxfam and WaterAid rather than saving some minks.
    I've been veggie for a month (more for environmental and spiritual reasons, although there are cases in which I would consumemeat) and can see a difference in killing for meat and killing for fashion. We have wool to make clothes, cotton, hemp, so why not?

I'm also against the conditions where they keep the animals in.

To the people who wear fur or leather... Would you wear a house cat? Would you wear dalmation skin?

What's the difference between killing a cow and killing a cute baby seal?
    To the people who wear fur or leather... Would you wear a house cat? Would you wear dalmation skin?

If it suited me.
    What's the difference between killing a cow and killing a cute baby seal?

Nowt.
    Fair enough.

I just can't stand it when people are like "omg wont eat cat becoz its cruel"... ect ect
    Ballerina wrote:
    its more the way they're killed that bothers me, and how they're treated...
    I agree! I think fur looks lovely but it really bothers me to think that the fur might have come from animals that were skinned alive! For that reason I will never buy fur myself. Even if I was assured that the animals were killed in a quick and humane way I still feel that any boom in "humane" fur fashion could lead to the death of millions of animals in cruel and unnecessary slaughters so that certain countries can get their slice of the pie with top dollar fur. I believe it would be hard to monitor a humane fur trade for this reason, indeed I understand that this is already the case and I would never want to support cruelty to animals.
    Zalbor wrote:

3f03w.jpg
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fur, is actually the warmest stuff about. In Siberia, they all wear fur - as it has been proven to be warmer than the artificial stuff.

I see nothing wrong with fur as long as it's NOT an endagered species and you DONT waste the meat.