Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mother's account of cannabis psychosis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
BBC Report: Mother's account of son's slide into psychosis

This is an account given on the BBC website of a young man who went through a psychotic episode after a period of heavy cannabis use.

This is your typical 'whole life ahead of you' story, although i mean not to demean his ordeal in any way.

Just thought i'd throw this out for discussion, however i would like to add one thing;

His mother claims that he spent around £5000 on cannabis (skunk she claims) in one year, which by my calculations would work out to being roughly £22 per day just on weed. Thats an immense amount of skunk by most standards.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BBC Report: Mother's account of son's slide into psychosis

This is an account given on the BBC website of a young man who went through a psychotic episode after a period of heavy cannabis use.

This is your typical 'whole life ahead of you' story, although i mean not to demean his ordeal in any way.

Just thought i'd throw this out for discussion, however i would like to add one thing;

His mother claims that he spent around £5000 on cannabis (skunk she claims) in one term, which by my calculations would work out to being roughly £70 per day just on weed. Thats an immense amount of skunk by most standards.

A half oz a day :eek2: ? He must've been chain smoking camberwell carrots.

Coupled with the claim that the stuff he was smoking was 10-30 times stronger than average grass confirms that BBC journalism is nothing more than a bad joke.
    A half oz a day ? He must've been chain smoking camberwell carrots.

Coupled with the claim that the stuff he was smoking was 10-30 times stronger than average grass confirms that BBC journalism is nothing more than a bad joke

well i was waiting for rolly or someone to come out with 'thats nothing, in my day...' :D but thats what i said.

Thats a titanic amount of weed by anyones standards, it does render this case somewhat unique.

Like the lad in Southampton who became (i think) the first person in the UK to die from actual MDMA intoxication (at least thats what was on his death certificate, im doing this from memory and will try to dig up the article so dont take these as gospel facts just yet). It doesnt reflect anything close to regular usage patterns for many people.
    well i was waiting for rolly or someone to come out with 'thats nothing, in my day...' :D but thats what i said.

Thats a titanic amount of weed by anyones standards, it does render this case somewhat unique.

Like the lad in Southampton who became (i think) the first person in the UK to die from actual MDMA intoxication (at least thats what was on his death certificate, im doing this from memory and will try to dig up the article so dont take these as gospel facts just yet). It doesnt reflect anything close to regular usage patterns for many people.

I think it's highly likely that the amount & strength is pure exaggeration tbh.
    well i was waiting for rolly or someone to come out with 'thats nothing, in my day...' :D It doesnt reflect anything close to regular usage patterns for many people.
    well in my day ...i remeber dope was seven quid an ounce!
    then twelve ...the twenty five ...

your right about it not being your regular useage pattern though.
    i did go through a phase of smoking from falling out of bed to falling back in it again for a number of years.
    how much ...not a clue.
    Although it's not impossible to smoke a half O a day I agree with Spliffie...
    What probably happened is (like many students) he spent thousands on going out, getting really drunk and smoking lots of dope. Plus of course there could be a few other drugs thrown in for good measure. We've all seen it happen.

Its a tragic story, but its totally unrepresentative of cannabis use and users.
    i think there might have been a few beans involved.

oh and its entirely possible to smoke half an oz a day, just extremely unadvisable.
    My mate cained loads and loads at Uni, I dont know amounts but he was always stonned, strangely enough his memory was knackered and he ended up failing his exams and getting depressed.

It happens, cannabis can be dangerous but as long as you're not stonned off your head all the time the risk is low.
    IDIOCY ALERT! im sorry i misread the text of the report, it appears he actually spent £5000 across the academic year, which would work out at roughly £22 a day. Still alot of skunk to be smoking.

My original post has been changed to reflect this.
    Its technically possible, but unlikely, people certainly do smoke that much. God knows why.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its technically possible, but unlikely, people certainly do smoke that much. God knows why.

£22 worth is easily smoked in a day though, if you're smoking them big, fat and pure.

When i have the funds i usually go through about oz a week. I'm always sceptical about these "so-and-so was such a normal boy before he started smoking cannabis" blah blah blah stories. Anyone i know who's become fucked up psycologically have already been a bit on the weird side anyway.
    yeah but £22 of big, fat, fatty-boom-battys all day everyday for a whole year?

cant be good...
    Spliffie wrote:
    £22 worth is easily smoked in a day though, if you're smoking them big, fat and pure.

When i have the funds i usually go through about oz a week. I'm always sceptical about these "so-and-so was such a normal boy before he started smoking cannabis" blah blah blah stories. Anyone i know who's become fucked up psycologically have already been a bit on the weird side anyway.
    sure ...i'm sure i have smoked a half ounce of top quality in a day every day every day ...
    i smoked from falling out of bed to getting back in it for years ...all day and night seven days a week ...for years.
    i have no idea how much it would have been as we had an endless supply.
    i too am sceprticla about these stories ...especialy from mums.

i have seen people go down hill forever ...but it has never been the people who were always the movers and shakers ...the ones with enthusiam for life in a big way.
    same with every drug i've encountered ...it always seems to be the oddballs.
    not saying head cases ...but always the withdrawn or slightly withdrawn ...the ones who lack confidence ...the ones with to many worries and uncertaties.
    one of the reasons that taking drugs to escape reality is a bit confusing.
    in addiction yes.
    you are literaly escaping the feelings of self ...the feelings of reality.
    but anyone who thinks taking any kind of psycadelic ...is going to help them escape the world and it or your problems ...is on a loser.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Smoknig that much a day is a waste I feel.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Smoknig that much a day is a waste I feel.
    not at the time ...twas a quite a wonderful lazy way of life ...yeah ...a waste realy.
    When I was a naughty little terror I'd wake up, roll over, roll up. Then I'd do a couple of bongs on the way to school with the cool/corrupt taxi driver, buckets if he brought the black cab. Morning break- roll up, eat some toast, smoke another, chill in a class for a bit until lunchtime then, etc... yeah so I probably got through a hell of a lot of the stuff. Free though mind- you wouldn't catch me blowing £5000 on green. It wasn't just me, my peers were doing exactly the same - though when I quit at 16, others close to me carried on at the same rate... bad news. I think the young developing mind is very impressionable and needs guarding from mind altering drugs; the adult who chills with a spliff after work is fine. Now, out of those close to me who carried on smoking when I quit, how many do you think are ok in the head? None. The shame. And not from going on to harder drugs or alcohol either. I see them with social anxiety problems/ depression/ agoraphobia etc, not even smoking with each other anymore - sitting up in their rooms playing playstation, or even worse.
    katralla wrote:
    - sitting up in their rooms playing playstation, .
    at least the loosers i know ...are playing with themselves ...and each other ...do i hear a leonard cohen bedsit song coming on ...