Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Graffiti or art?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Graffiti or art?

This is a mini project a friend and I did over the weekend. Of course, it would have been more sensible to ask for permission before we did it, but I didn't think anyone would mind seeing as we were going over existing graffiti - we had even shelled out £20 for white masonery paint to paint the wall first.
After we had finished, the police saw us and gave us a reprimand and an £80 fine each.
I know, by the black and white definition that it is graffiti, but we had an artistic motive about it rather than writing 'blahblah was ere '95'. Would this help us revoke the fines against us, if we got the council on our side (it's their property I guess) to say that they prefer it there, than the graffiti that was there before?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Quick, run, they're wearing......hoodies! :nervous:

It's very good, and it's not like the usual graffiti, but I guess you should've got permission beforehand. If you'd offered plans to them beforehand, I don't reckon they would object very much, since you were cleaning up a shithole anyway. I wouldn't hold out much hope of you getting your £80 back, but it can't hurt to try.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Erm, I only think it's art if it is one of those HUGE pictures folks do myself. You know, where it takes AGES and is really detailed. There was an awesome one near me... and then they knocked down the old wall.

I am honestly not sure what you're point was. :p But I like it, it's a nice idea tbh. Far better than before.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Permission is the key. Unless you would be happy for me to draw over anything you "own"?
  • Options
    pay the fine ...get publicity for payning the fine ...
  • Options
    Permission is the key. Unless you would be happy for me to draw over anything you "own"?

Thought someone would say that. But it looked horrible before, loads of scrawled crap all over the wall. People have said to me how much better it looks and they enjoy looking at it.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what it looked like, it isn't your job to change it without reference to the "owner".

I didn't say it now looked bad, in fact I appreciated the artistic nature, but the fact is that you have damaged someone else's property without their permission. That is unlawful.

You missed the vital step or asking permission and that, in this situation, is the defining separation between art and vandalism.
  • Options
    I think its Brilliant.
    Well done, it looks amazing. Keep up the good work and long may it continue.
  • Options
    I really like it. I really like how no-one's looking at someone sitting in the gutter.

Ask permission next time.
  • Options
    I think it looks really good.

If you have any more plans like that, why not speak to the council to see if you can do it in certain areas, 'improving' them etc. You never know, they might agree!
  • Options
    that's actually really good, makes it more interesting
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Ask permission next time.
    Nah, whats the point. Its a subway. Its public. Its not like youve graffitied someones personal house or car.
    Theyve improved an eyesore area. it would have taken months for permission to be granted if at all, and what if it hadnt been granted? Then the subway would still look shit.
    Free spirit and art for the general public. :thumb:
    I wish youd come and do something like that round here. :yes:
  • Options
    I like it.

I think a distinction can be made between graffiti and tagging.

Graffiti can be art, and so long as it is in the right area can actually be an improvement to the area in question.

Tagging on the other hand is the work of the devil and taggers should simply put against a wall and shot.
  • Options
    If it was me, I would ask the person claiming to represent the council where and when they bought the subway and how much they paid for it before I did anything else.
  • Options
    the more I look at it, the more I love it.
    I hope it stays :)
  • Options
    I get the artistic movement here and appreciate the originality, but I don't think you will have the council on your side as graffitti are not done as perfectly as if you had the time to do everything properly...

With authorisation you could had more time and been able to do it properly...
    But hey, it's better to fuck the laws on that ;)

The graf that say "exhibition this way" look like a basic grafitti tho...

Also I don't think the council will want to have someone lying on the floor all the time...

cos if there is no-one there, well the art piece is missing something innit...
  • Options
    cos if there is no-one there, well the art piece is missing something innit...
    Maybe they could put a urinal there or something. 1 point for the best idea for a permanant replacement for the guy lying there.
  • Options
    Maybe they could put a urinal there or something. 1 point for the best idea for a permanant replacement for the guy lying there.

Good idea!

But I think the place where they did it is already use as an urinal tho...
  • Options
    i think it still looks as good with noone there. The homeless person isnt the exhibition. its part of it, and a living exhibition would mean it was constantly changing. Sometimes the arrows will point to nothing. I still see it as art.
  • Options
    art...

and it does look good

the video was also good
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think if it doesn't appear in the local paper, I'm going to write in to see what the local public think about it (seeing as they're the people that have to see it).

If the council approves of it, do you think they'd pay for us (the materials) to do similar stuff around here?
  • Options
    dunno. Be good if they did though.
    Where are you from?
  • Options
    hyukie wrote:

If the council approves of it, do you think they'd pay for us (the materials) to do similar stuff around here?

Come to Stafford, I've got a brilliant place for you to come and do something interesting!

Not sure if the council here would pay you (as they're useless in our area) but I bet the people living around here would!!!
  • Options
    Just wait til an election then they'll do anything to appear 'down with the kids.' :yippe:
  • Options
    Nah, whats the point. Its a subway. Its public. Its not like youve graffitied someones personal house or car.

So if he'd done it down the side of a train it'd be OK?

If not, why not?

I don't care how good it looks, it is needless vandalism. An £80 fine is no way near enough- vandals should be made to repaint the community, with a toothbrush. Taggers should be liberated from their fingers.

A lot of councils do have graffiti artists painting walls, which is something I do support greatly. It's nicer than tagging, and the thing that annoys me most is when someone has tagged a beautiful graffiti mural.

Without permission, it is vandalism, and it is harming me personally because the council now have to go and spend a fortune washing it off. Which makes my tax bill go through the roof. And seeing as it's high enough as it is, I don't really approve of having to spend even more cleaning up after filthy vandals.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    So if he'd done it down the side of a train it'd be OK?

If not, why not?

Without permission, it is vandalism, and it is harming me personally because the council now have to go and spend a fortune washing it off.

i wouldnt mind if someone painted a train either. Not tagging, but artwork. just because this didnt have permission, it doesnt mean its the same as people tagging.

If the council hadnt bothered washing off all the tags, I sure hope they wont go and wash this guys work off.
  • Options
    I think its brilliant. It'd be a shame if they painted over it. They should pay people, or allow people, to properly decorate places like that. They're just gonna end up looking shitty anyway, with all that pebble-dashing and people weeing up the walls.

What does everyone think of Banksy's work? I :heart: it.
    Banksy.
  • Options
    I love graffiti when it's done properly, and as art, not just so some idiot can spray "i woz ere" :rolleyes:. That website you posted, FilthyChav is ace... some of it is really gorgeous.
  • Options
    wow, filthychav, that guys stuff is excellent. id love to have that round my town.
  • Options
    wow, filthychav, that guys stuff is excellent. id love to have that round my town.

yeah.. he was the guy who hung fake portraits in london gallerys, and he did a Blur album cover. i just like his sense of absurd humour.