Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do something you stoners .....

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Isn't it about time you stoners stopped moaning about the Government's plans for the reclassification of cannabis, and the lack of education surrounding smoking and other forms of drug taking? If you do want to actively do something about it, here is an easy and effective way to do it.
RETHINK LAUNCHES CANNABIS E-CAMPAIGN urging people to email Home Secretary

After writing to Home Secretary Charles Clarke earlier this month asking him to focus on the mental health risks of cannabis rather than fiddle with its legal status, Rethink now launches a cannabis e-campaign urging people to email Home Secretary Charles Clarke with their concerns before his upcoming decision on the issue.

Rethink, who has been at the forefront of the cannabis campaign, has been calling for:

• An investment in measures that can work to reduce risk, rather than changing the classification of cannabis.
• A long-term awareness and information campaign targeted particularly at young people, long-term users of cannabis and those people with a family history of severe mental illness. We believe that such a campaign should be led by the Department of Health, rather than the Home Office.
• More funding for new research into the relationship between severe mental illness and cannabis and the most effective ways of reducing use.
• Developing policies to deal specifically with dealing in cannabis around mental health facilities, similar to those for dealing around schools.

For more on the cannabis e-campaign click here

On the 16th of December, Release wrote a letter to Home Secretary Charles Clarke, to urge him to take the expected advice of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs concerning the classification of cannabis. You can read a PDF of the letter here.

If this does affect you and you do feel strongly about it, this could be a way to take positive action.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Strangly enough, I haven't seen one complaint about how bud isn't legal on this site so far.
    Strangly enough, I haven't seen one complaint about how bud isn't legal on this site so far.
    i suggest you spend a little more time reading then.

There's been a few arguments about it on the politics forum. Posting about it on here is preaching to the converted...
    haha, i'd rather not see them. I hate poeple bitching about how it should be legal.
    haha, i'd rather not see them. I hate poeple bitching about how it should be legal.
    strange boy ...
    strange boy ...

look at 90% of the people askign for it legalized. There like 17 year old high school burnouts. They only want bud legal so they can get high.
    I think it has a very high potential for medical use, and compared to alcohol, it's a million times safer to be used as a recreational drug.
    But come on, do you really think they're actually helping?
    look at 90% of the people askign for it legalized. There like 17 year old high school burnouts. They only want bud legal so they can get high.
    I think it has a very high potential for medical use, and compared to alcohol, it's a million times safer to be used as a recreational drug.
    But come on, do you really think they're actually helping?

Its not just the 17 year olds, the 60 year old ex hippies and bikers want to get high too.
    ?
    not in this country KMB.
    i think you'll find those shouting the loudest and doing the foot work are a lot older.
    babylon wrote:
    Its not just the 17 year olds, the 60 year old ex hippies and bikers want to get high too.
    hahaha, good call.

EDIT: hmm, well thats interesting. Then bitch all you want! :razz:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    hahaha, good call.

EDIT: hmm, well thats interesting. Then bitch all you want! :razz:

Makes intresting reading
    Weekender Offender 
    look at 90% of the people askign for it legalized. There like 17 year old high school burnouts.

Except of course they are not, because 17 year olds cant vote and are rarely involved in the Media or Politics.

www.transform.org.uk are the kind of people asking for legalisation and they are far from 17 year old 'burnouts'.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Out of interest, how many of you are interested in taking action on this issue?
    LadyJade wrote:
    Out of interest, how many of you are interested in taking action on this issue?

I would be if everyone I spoke to who works in the sector wasnt convinced it was a certainty.
    I would be interested but the only thing is Tony Blair is in the middle of revising the law never mind legalising/decriminalising and is most likely going to put it back in class B. If he does he is the biggest prick that ever walked the earth

He's done many things far more offensive than moving back up, in fact I think it might actually help the legalisation cause, it will be so obviously against the guidance and so stupid that in the long term it will do more harm to the law.
    killingismybiz, this campaign isn't for the legalisation of cannabis, it is advocating for the classification of cannabis to stay at C rather than go back to B, which is what the government is considering.
    how many people do you think care what the government say or do about cannabis?
    lets get realy real here ...it was class b ...it's now class c tommorow it might be class b ...

;ets get realy real here ...who do any of you think ...g9ives a fuck?

seriously ...
    if any of you think that class b ... or claSS ANUTHING ELSE ...WILL HAVE ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER ...ARE LIVI Ng in some dream land.

the people who are smoking ...the people who are yet to smoke ...don't give a rats arse about the fucking stupid mindless little letters that are put there.
    or the penalties ...and why should they?
    Because not everyone has had the life experience to make the choices you have made, and not everyone lives in Wales in the middle of nowhere and everywhere, and most people can still be affected by what letter happens to be allocated to a certain substance, because they opt in more than you do, and what bothers me is the even though they are affected they still accept the status quo and when they are given the chance to do something they justify their apathy to themselves by saying that they can't make a difference. Whatever the issue, you still have a choice.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Because not everyone has had the life experience to make the choices you have made, and not everyone lives in Wales in the middle of nowhere and everywhere, and most people can still be affected by what letter happens to be allocated to a certain substance, because they opt in more than you do, and what bothers me is the even though they are affected they still accept the status quo and when they are given the chance to do something they justify their apathy to themselves by saying that they can't make a difference. Whatever the issue, you still have a choice.
    sporry but ...the reality is ...people smoke weed regardless of anything and every thing.
    look at the facts.
    cannabis controlled ...uncontrolled in my book ...by law b ...
    cannabis ....controlwd uncontroled by law c ...
    cannabis controled uncontroled by law fucking b again ...
    are you honestly ...HONESTLY ...going to tell me anyone takes any notice ...anyone gives a fuck ...anyone cares ...about a bc ...

if you answer yes ...your going to have some serious explaining about the last forty years of cannabis consumption and the law ...and all these silly fucking b's and c's and two and frowing.

go on ...i challenge you to give me some common sense fucking explanation about government confusion/policy regarding cannabis.
    and if possible ...provide some links ...

some links that will show that going back to clas b or class anuthing ...will actualy mean ...anything at all ...
    the title of the thrad is ....do someting you stoners ...
    guess what ...millions are doing just that ...
    where the fuck does the government figure in the minds of those millions while they are indulging ...i'll tell you what you already know ...they asre being stoners ...detting on with their lives ...and aint realy that interested in what the government decide when they wake up on monday and decide one thing ...wake up tuesday and change their minds ...whos the stonedest the tokers or ythe government?

the government have lost all credibikty ...over just about everything!
    gord i was pissed last night.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Politics/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1686316,00.html

reminds me of the wooton report ...headed by lady wooten in the 60's.
    the government got all the best 'experts' in medicine etc ...to compile a report on the dangers of cannabis.
    the result was that the dangers were so law there was no reason whatsoever for it to be a criminal offence.
    thats not what the government were expecting or wanted.
    so what did they do having spent loads of money on getting the facts ...upped the penalties thats what.
    no one in authority ever ever seems to make any sensible decisions on drugs policy ...mostly why everyone ignores them on the subject.
    haha, morrocan roll, ladies and gentlemen, with 5 posts in a row! :thumb:
    sorry, i just had to break it :blush:
    Here you go you cynics - Cannabis will remain class C drug. Occasionally, they do listen. And I know some of you will say that it was for their own ends and not the public good, but if the outcome is the same then does it really matter if it is the best that was hoped for?
    I like the way Clarke said 'I have decided to accept the ACMD's advice', what the hell are they there for if you arent going to take their advice.

Cannabis use is down, and down amoung young people so I fail to see on any level what so ever why making it Class B would have been a good idea.

But now of course we are in the stupid situation where the Police say its ok for adults to smoke at home, but those criminals who deal it will be hunted down like the dogs they are.
    gord i was pissed last night.

hehe...
    Addaction have released a statement that seems a very sensible response to the reclassification, that goes some way to responding to your point Bong....
    I heard the head of the ACMD interviewed and I think he summed it up nicely 'drug use is predominantly a public health issue and not a legislative one'.