Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Divorce

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So many marriages are ending in divorce these days. I mean more or less everyone either knows somone whos divorced or is divorced themselves. But why is it so popular these days? I mean in my grandparents generation people seemed to get married in their 20's then just stay together for the rest of their lives. Why is that so rare now? What has caused divorce to go up so much?

Comments

• Options
    It is soooo much easier to get and there is very little stigma about it.
    Maybe, it is a case of so many people get caught out when they cheat now that their partners demand a divorce for that, where as once upton a time, they didnt get caught.
    I dont know really...
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    because nowadays people arent obligated to stay in shitty marriages.
    In the olden days people stayed, but that doesnt mean they were happy.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    So many marriages are ending in divorce these days. I mean more or less everyone either knows somone whos divorced or is divorced themselves. But why is it so popular these days? I mean in my grandparents generation people seemed to get married in their 20's then just stay together for the rest of their lives. Why is that so rare now? What has caused divorce to go up so much?

48% of marriage broke during the first 20 years...

it's ugly really...

I think the trouble is now people have forgot what a marriage is and i think now
    the laws make it so easy to leave and well to make some cash out of it.

When you get married you are suppose to commit to each other for life.

I think back then woman were more submissive and less free to do whatever they wanted to. When now they can. I don't think it is a bad thing as some women back then were unhappy, but wouldn't leave as easily as now.

Not saying it is women that create more divorce, it is just an aspect of it.
  • Options
    Here are some sites with divorce rates/figures for you:

This one has figures from the UK and USAclick

and this is UK only National Statistics online.
  • Options
    it's because women are less oppressed innit........
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That's what I think too.

Though I can't help but wonder if there are several marriages that could have been saved but weren't, exactly because a divorce is so much more presentable as a solution.
  • Options
    There are many social issues causing it today like individualism, careeism, drug problemes et al.

But we can't say our grandparents generation wasn't all happy and well either...abuse and adultery was rife then, it's just that the idea of being divorced was so taboo and maybe even pressure from the Church prevented this from happening.
  • Options
    \
  • Options

I agreeee!
  • Options
    Make marriage in any serious degree unstable, dissoluble or destroy the permanency of marriage, and the church falls.
    Is that a promise???
  • Options
    Bingo.
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    ^^^ What she said :yes:
  • Options
    The church has fallen, Aladdin. Replaced with the cresent of Islam.
    Where? Iran, presumably? Certainly not here.
  • Options
    Can't remember where, but I read the other day (when everyone was on about prositution), that back in the 50's, one in five men visited prostitutes, compared to one in ten today. D'you think that all of those couples were happily married? Or did they just stay together because that's what was expected of them?
  • Options

There is still people that stay married even if they are unhappy those day too. I was unhappily married and I would have stay for the rest of my life as I committed to it... Luckily she left :-)

Marriage is a life commitment, if you can not commit for life, just don't get married. Getting married is taking a risk that the other might change or relationship might get worste, but you do commit to be there for the worste and the better for life.

If when the worste come, people get divore, well, then people just don't have a clue what a marriage is.

Also I agree that in some case divorce is necessary.
  • Options

:lol:

Have you checked under your bed today, Slippy?
  • Options
    Marriage is a life commitment, if you can not commit for life, just don't get married.

That's very simplistic you know. People change, circumstances change. At the moment you make the vow, you should be prepared to commit for life but after that...
  • Options
    That's very simplistic you know. People change, circumstances change. At the moment you make the vow, you should be prepared to commit for life but after that...

Yep I know, been there...

As I said marriage is a risk...
  • Options

It must be quite scary reading the Mail every day, more and more things to be afraid of.
  • Options
    There is still people that stay married even if they are unhappy those day too. I was unhappily married and I would have stay for the rest of my life as I committed to it... Luckily she left :-)
    same here.

you get what you sign up for in my opinion, and I know I wouldnt have left by my own choice even though i was miserable.
    I do think its good though that people can leave though. Whats the point in a marriage where only 50% is commited?
    Love is more than a feeling. its a commitment too.
  • Options
    Love is more than a feeling. its a commitment too.

Well said love :thumb:
  • Options
    I know someone who broke off an engagement when his fiancee commented "well, if it doesn't work out we can always get divorced." His view was that if you're not at least intending to work through each and every problem in a marriage you shouldn't get married in the first place.

The difficulty is how to create a system which doesn't restrict the ability of victims of abusive or lifeless or adulterous 'marriages' to escape them while simultaneously communicating the value of stable and life-long marriages. Not at all sure how to do that.
  • Options
    i wouldn't say it was becoming more 'popular' as such. makes it sound like everyone wants to do it. :p

i think it's something that's more accepted nowadays. i guess people don't place as much emphasis on their vows anymore and maybe it's something to do with women being more independent and knowing that they can cope on their own.
  • Options
    It's not becoming more popular, and two things that are forgotten- 2/3 of marriages stay the course, and even for divorced marriages, the average length is over 11 years.

Personally I think it's a combination of things. People are far too quick to reach for the divorce lawyer instead of working through problems. Divorce is a bit too easy. Women have a huge incentive to divorce quickly because they get a gigantic cut of the divorce settlement, get to keep the kids, get to keep the house. There's no financial incentive to stay married- indeed, we'd be better off if we divorced, and I moved in next door instead.

The removal of the link between faith and marriage has a huge role to play too.
  • Options
    I'm glad my parents did. They're much happier now.
    I'd not stay in a relationship (marriage or otherwise) if it was shit. Mind you, I'd not bother getting married for fear that it would go wrong sometime.
  • Options
    It's because of feminism, women just don't know their place anymore, for example leaving the house without permission.

Also I blame immigration, gypsies and people who sponge off the state.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I's because of feminism, women just don't know their place anymore, for example leaving the house without permission.

Also I blame imigration, gypsies and people who sponge off the state.

youre so right. I also blame single mothers and paedophiles.