Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Manchester Derby..

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That said, I'd like to think that I wouldn't have missed the previous tackle or the one on Rooney ;)

Indeed, the referee rather provoked the situation by failing to see anything really. No excuse all the same.

So long as it's not another defender (although a right back will be needed), we really need to shore up our midfield.

Aye. I'm actually in favour of the two new signings. A great team is built from the back, though I understand we need a midfielder. I'm very surprised we haven't gone in for De Jong from Ajax, who's out of contract in the summer.

I have to agree with the pussy on this one. You could include many fans in that.

I didn't want the takeover to happen, but I did say that we should give them time and I still think it's too early to judge...

Yes, I wasn't in favour of it but always maintained that we should give them time, whereas all around me, everyone was prediciting the clubs demise. The tabloids really loved that one :rolleyes: . Obviously many fans were drawn into that media hype as well. But I was referring more to the ABUs who basked in the club's potential downfall.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Regarding the Glazier takeover, you will actually find out that despite the jokes and jibes, most fans in the country including ABUs were against it on principle.

The franchising of football and corporate takeover for financial reasons are fucking terrible things to happen in football and must be avoided and fought at all costs. All clubs are the poorer in the long term for the arrival of the Glazers, not just Man U.

But by taking them private the Glazer takeover has removed Man UTd from much of the corporate setting that a public company is part of.

I thought you were someone who was disgraced by shareholding etc and all that entails.....
    It's not as bad as a family who doesn't know the first thing about football (and furthermore doesn't give a fuck about it) and only buy for financial reasons.

No one benefits from that. No one that is apart from the Glazers.

Football clubs should be run as societies, as the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid do. One member, one vote, all profits go straight back to the club, and every four years general election to choose new president.
    addicted7 wrote:
    But I was referring more to the ABUs who basked in the club's potential downfall.
    I'd look closer to home in future, no good "referring" to what other people said, start referring to what thousands and thousands of your own fans said and then with the blinkers removed you'd realise its people like you who make everyone despise the scum.
    On a better note though, that rossi guy looked ok, i know he was playing against part-timers but could be good for the future. Saha was a waste of space although i do like him normally.
    addicted7 wrote:
    Aye. I'm actually in favour of the two new signings.

Agreed. Brown was our only experienced cover in the middle and I wasn't happy about that (considering the way Silvestre plays) and we needed cover for Heinze ages ago.

Centre Midfield is a big problem. Teams need a strong spine. We have a decent keeper, Ferdinand seems to have got back to form and Rooney/Ruud need no comment.

#####

And yes Puss, Rossi is class. Some of his touches remind me of a certain Frenchman...

Saha on the other hand reminds me of Jason Lee.
    I just hope we don't get a repeat of the Phil Neville syndrome, i.e When Heinze is fit, and we've got eight defenders (Neville, Bardsley, O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Evra, Heinze and Vidic) all competing for four places, he starts playing O'Shea in midfield (he even had Ferdinand there last night!!!!!!!) just to keep him happy.

MoK is spot on, we need strength down the middle, you only have to look round:

Chelsea - Cech, Terry, Lampard/Makelele, Drogba (I know he's not great)

Liverpool - Reina, Hyypia, Gerrard, Morientes/Cisse

Arsenal - Lehmann, Toure/Campbell, ???, Henry - the ??? is why they aren't their usual selves.

Admittedly, not all the players I've listed there are world beaters, but they are solid players playing in their best position. That gives the team a base to dominate games and let the flair players do their stuff.

We still have an abundance of flair that most teams in the world would be jealous of - Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney and Giggs would walk into most teams, but if we don't take games by the scruff of the neck, by winning the ball and keeping it, then we are not going to compete seriously with the top teams.
    It will be seven defenders. I have a feeling that Silvestre is on his way. As is Saha if you caught Fergie's expression when he fucked up the through ball from Rossi....
    manickev wrote:

Arsenal - Lehmann, Toure/Campbell, ???, Henry - the ??? is why they aren't their usual selves.

????= Gilberto I suppose, who is Ok, though not Vieira standard.......
    It will be seven defenders. I have a feeling that Silvestre is on his way. As is Saha if you caught Fergie's expression when he fucked up the through ball from Rossi....

We've also got a couple out on loan, who Fergie thinks are gonna make the grade. Spector at Charlton being one of them.

Silvestre claims he's going nowhere, but I'd like to think he is off. He's lost his pace in the last year, and has resorted to wrestling as his main method for stopping strikers. Ferdinand looks like he has an eye on him all the time, and the defence looks superb when 'knees up' Wesley Brown is alongside him, as derby day illustrated Silvestre's lack of confidence and quality.

Hopefully this Vidic character will fit in well and give us three quality centre halfs.

Saha is frustrating! He always comes back with a flurry, and then seems to go into freefall after a few weeks, and then gets injured again, and the cycle starts all over.
    Toadborg wrote:
    ????= Gilberto I suppose, who is Ok, though not Vieira standard.......

Yeah, that's my point. He won't take a game by the balls like Keane, Vieira or Gerrard.

Gattuso would be the man for me at old trafford. Equally as worrying is the fact that it looks like we may have to replace Scholes.

Still, they always said we'd never replace Robson, Hughes, Bruce, Pallister, etc.
    I'd look closer to home in future, no good "referring" to what other people said, start referring to what thousands and thousands of your own fans said and then with the blinkers removed you'd realise its people like you who make everyone despise the scum.

YAWN.

I'll 'refer' to what other people said if I want. Fans at our own club were sucked in by the tabloid frenzy, and their pessimism was only matched by the optimism of the ABUs. If I want to comment on that then fine. As for people despising the scum, you'll be hard pressed to find a fan that cares. I hate loads of clubs but I don't find the need to remind them all the time, because I know its water of a ducks back.

Centre Midfield is a big problem. Teams need a strong spine. We have a decent keeper, Ferdinand seems to have got back to form and Rooney/Ruud need no comment.

It's probably the most important position in any side. Milan say they'll sell Gattuso, which would be interesting. The Independent also mentions Diarra (Lyon) and Mascherano (Corinthians) today. These are the kind of targets we need to be aiming for. I'd be happy to see any of the above at United, but Mascherano may have Premiership-Argentinian syndrome.

And yes Puss, Rossi is class. Some of his touches remind me of a certain Frenchman...

It's good to see that we're still producing talent through the ranks (admittedly he was signed semi-pro). He definitely will make the grade. Bardsley hasn't done himself any harm either, at least he gives some cover at right-back. Could Rossi develop into a new Scholes? His vision is superb. Rossi, Rooney and Ronaldo (we're fond of R's) are the future of the club.
    addicted7 wrote:
    YAWN.

I'll 'refer' to what other people said if I want. Fans at our own club were sucked in by the tabloid frenzy, and their pessimism was only matched by the optimism of the ABUs. If I want to comment on that then fine. As for people despising the scum, you'll be hard pressed to find a fan that cares. I hate loads of clubs but I don't find the need to remind them all the time, because I know its water of a ducks back.
    YAWN :p
    Your fans not big enough to make their own minds up so they get "sucked" in by the tabloids, understandable :p
    YAWN :p
    Your fans not big enough to make their own minds up so they get "sucked" in by the tabloids, understandable :p

Yup. It is understandable, that's why I don't hold it against them. It would happen at any club. Unfortunately many fans are easily led by the red tops, whether you're a United fan, a Chelsea fan, or even a Leeds fan :p .
    addicted7 wrote:
    Yup. It is understandable, that's why I don't hold it against them. It would happen at any club. Unfortunately many fans are easily led by the red tops, whether you're a United fan, a Chelsea fan, or even a Leeds fan :p .
    Not me, I have my own opinions, I don't get led by the media in subjects I know about. I could easily get led when it comes to politics cos I haven't got the first clue about it but when it comes to Leeds the media play no part in what I think.
    Not me, I have my own opinions, I don't get led by the media in subjects I know about. I could easily get led when it comes to politics cos I haven't got the first clue about it but when it comes to Leeds the media play no part in what I think.

I wasn't aiming the comment at you. I was just saying that every club has fickle fans who are easily led. Fortunately I was never one of them in United's case.
    addicted7 wrote:
    It's good to see that we're still producing talent through the ranks (admittedly he was signed semi-pro).

Kind of. Not home-grown, but someone at United seems to be a decent scout. Spector isn't home-grown either. And he's someone else who I think will be important for United.
    Could Rossi develop into a new Scholes? His vision is superb. Rossi, Rooney and Ronaldo (we're fond of R's) are the future of the club.

His touches were amazing last night, I haven't been able to understand why Fergie hasn't put him in sooner. He is a real talent. Parma must be kicking themselves so hard; putting in all the legwork only to have him nicked.
    Kermit wrote:
    His touches were amazing last night, I haven't been able to understand why Fergie hasn't put him in sooner. He is a real talent. Parma must be kicking themselves so hard; putting in all the legwork only to have him nicked.

Fergie seems to have developed a habit over the last couple of years, of playing his more senior players out of position or at the expense of 'resting' regulars just to give them a game (e.g Fortune, O'Shea, Smith and Phil Neville as centre midfielders, Solskaer on the right etc), and I feel this has limited the number of youngsters who have come through.

I know they possibly weren't the standard of Beckham and Neville and co, but Greening, Chadwick, Clegg, Wallwork, Trees etc were all fair youth team players who didn't get much chance and were forwarded elsewhere before they got much of a chance to impress. The recent crop of Richardson, Rossi, Pique, Spector, Eagles, and Jones all look good players, not to mention Slvain Ebanks-Blake, who hasn't done much in the first team yet (he is shit hot). Hopefully Fergie will see sense and see how good some of these new players are, but I'm not sure - he has already farmed out Richey Jones to Antwerp, which usually means they'll come back and then be sold to a smaller premiership/championship club for a million quid or so.

I love to see youth team players come through and do well for clubs, but these success stories are few and far between nowadays.