Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Installing OS X x86

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone was telling that you don't actually need to burn the .iso a disk, you can use dd for windows and install it on another partition???

Comments

• Options
    First i've heard of it!

I haven't read anywhere of anyone trying to install it on a windows system yet actually!

Last I heard of OS X on a windows PC was when the whole PearPC scene started.
  • Options
    There is now a version of OSX that runs in Intel systems.
  • Options
    I think Noog has it running on his PC.
  • Options
    Apple have infact changed their tune. Microsoft made them not aggresively stop people installing windows XP on mac machines (So that microsoft would keep updating Office for mac)

the version of macosx that runs on normal intel systems is a developer version, There's a guide which I've attached
  • Options
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Wow pretty cool!

How's it been running for you so far?
  • Options
    noog is that a toaster with the green light on (to the right of the monitor)
  • Options
  • Options
    It's been running.. like a mac. No real problems but i'm not entirely keen on it
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    It's been running.. like a mac. No real problems but i'm not entirely keen on it
    So, unexpectedly quitting applications, annoying bouncing dock icons that need attention, random crashes?

I would drag up the happynowhere video with the guy slagging off Macs, but I feel it's been done to death.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    now now lets not turn an interesting topic into a boring fanboy flame thread.
    Oh I wasn't intending on doing so, I was just playing on the stereotype of the mac, or at least the one that i've heard the most and seen in the video.

I've used Macs in the past and not had many problems with them at all.
  • Options
    Thanks Noog mate. How big is your ISO? Mine is 956MB, don't have a spare DVD to burn it to yet.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    It runs on the new CoreDuo macs.

i looked at the new macs at a trade show the other day and the apple guy from USA said (under his breath) that if you partioned the disk on a new intel mac, and run OSX on one, what you do on the other on is entirly up to you, but it could remove the need to carry two computers around.

on a different note...

I have been running a G5 quad with a 23" display for a couple of months now and it rocks :)