Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I think i've invented a new form of motorsport.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so drink driving is illegal, and its very dangerous. But honestly its fun. I've never been on the road over the limit - but pretty close and it was just for a short distance on a moped. It was me that was at risk.

Anyway - I was thinking, why not control the conditions and set out a track where you have to have a certain amount of alcohol in your blood and race. It would be so interesting and fun. plus quite safe too, if the cars are all safe and reasonably slow - old bangers with rollcages and no windscreen etc.

Just a thought, any ideas - has it been done before? anybody see any flaws with the idea?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well it would definatly weed out the morons in the world. I say go for it.
    you've just shared this idea with the world, get a patent/copyright thingy before it's too late :p
    HAHAHA.

Sorry thats the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Go for it! I agree with my_names comment. haha.
    dont see any flaws...sounds like fun
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fuck it, i've got something more fun.

Legalise... DEATH RACE 2000!
    "it was just for a short distance on a moped"

I wonder how many people have used that in their defence for killing someone. It seems that alcohol has pickled your brain.
    I hope that the OP is joking, and all the posts that agreed with him.

Driving with alcohol in your system? Are you crazy? I know you say 'under the limit' but I think that is ridiculous, it should be illegal to drive after drinking full stop.
    Lawton wrote:
    Ok so drink driving is illegal, and its very dangerous. But honestly its fun. I've never been on the road over the limit - but pretty close and it was just for a short distance on a moped. It was me that was at risk.
    And everyone else on the road.
    cos his moped might hit a truck and fuck it right up...

Anyway like he said...under controlled conditions it could be funny :D
    muse- wrote:
    cos his moped might hit a truck and fuck it right up...

Anyway like he said...under controlled conditions it could be funny :D
    Well the truck could swerve to avoid the moped and hit a car, a pedestrain etc.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Fuck it, i've got something more fun.

Legalise... DEATH RACE 2000!
    do I get 10 points for the geek?
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    do I get 10 points for the geek?
    No
    Zella wrote:
    No
    Guess I wont run you over then :p
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I hope that the OP is joking, and all the posts that agreed with him.

Driving with alcohol in your system? Are you crazy? I know you say 'under the limit' but I think that is ridiculous, it should be illegal to drive after drinking full stop.
    exactly!! well said. its people like OP that are the reason for thousands of accidents every year. just because you arent 'over' the limit doesnt mean your not drunk. everyone has different tolerance levels
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Guess I wont run you over then :p
    I'm not a geek, i'm a swot:P
    Zella wrote:
    I'm not a geek, i'm a swot:P
    do I get extra points for them?
    No, becuase you cant drive so you end up with -106
    god why 106 ;[

/me slaps zella was 4 8 15 16 23 42 ;[
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Panthro wrote:
    "it was just for a short distance on a moped"

I wonder how many people have used that in their defence for killing someone. It seems that alcohol has pickled your brain.

Keep in mind he did say he WASN'T over the limit.

I really don't see it becoming a motorsport but it could be fun, and it wouldn't exactly be dangerous under the conditions he suggested.
    Weekender Offender 
    your-babe wrote:
    i'm confused, even if he isn't over the limit, alcohol still effects reactions etc surely?

not enough for ppl to be deemed unsafe ... and not more than tiredness or stress might do...
    Skive wrote:
    Keep in mind he did say he WASN'T over the limit.

I really don't see it becoming a motorsport but it could be fun, and it wouldn't exactly be dangerous under the conditions he suggested.

How could he be sure he wasn't over the limit? If he had drunk enough to feel he'd had a drink then I'm pretty sure he would have been over it.

Note that the legal limit now is roughly 1 pint of beer/glass of wine. That's not much.

Either way, by going on the road under the influence, you most certainly are putting others at risk. It is stupid attitudes like yours that ruin hundreds of families lives each year when you kill some innocent unsuspecting person.

The most frustrating bit is that the drink driver usually walks away unharmed.

I think drink driving is in a way as serious a crime as cold blooded murder.

You're not even selecting your victim. You are just randomly threatening to take the lives of completely innocent people.

I know you pointed out it was 'just for fun under controlled conditions', but people would surely try to imitate it in real life????
    manickev wrote:
    How could he be sure he wasn't over the limit? If he had drunk enough to feel he'd had a drink then I'm pretty sure he would have been over it.

You can a beer and feel it and not be over the limit.
    manickev wrote:
    Either way, by going on the road under the influence, you most certainly are putting others at risk. It is stupid attitudes like yours that ruin hundreds of families lives each year when you kill some innocent unsuspecting person.

So you don't think it's acceptable to have a beer and drive?
    manickev wrote:
    The most frustrating bit is that the drink driver usually walks away unharmed.

Rubbish.
    manickev wrote:
    I think drink driving is in a way as serious a crime as cold blooded murder.

More rubbish. Death as a result of drink driving is manslaughter, not murder.
    manickev wrote:
    I know you pointed out it was 'just for fun under controlled conditions', but people would surely try to imitate it in real life????

Do poeple try and imitate banger racing on the open road? No.
    But it's immaterial anyway, because it isn't goign to happen is it.
    Weekender Offender 
    I know someone that was drink driving and got locked up for it.

Oh plus he killed a lad of about 19.
    I know someone that was drink driving and got locked up for it.

Oh plus he killed a lad of about 19.

A mate of mine crashed whilst severely pissed and killed another one of our mates who was in the passenger seat. He 3 years bird for it.
    Weekender Offender 
    yes but if you drive a car/bike/whatever knowing that you are over the limit you are making a choice to risk killing someone.

you conciously choose to drink that much knowing you have to drive, and you consciously get into the car knowing you have had enough to drink to be over the limit, which can result in you harming someone.
    yes but if you drive a car/bike/whatever knowing that you are over the limit you are making a choice to risk killing someone.

Yes, it's called manslaughter. It's not murder.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

yeah i know, i personally think that it doesn't really fall into that category though, thats all.

we could get into all the legal terms of murder etc, but i personally think it's a grey area.

just my oppinion :)
    Skive wrote:

If you'd have taken the time to read my comments properly I said that IN MY OPINION killing someone whilst drink driving is worse than cold blooded murder, because you are taking the lifes of other people into your hands whilst your judgment and ability to assess risk are impaired.

It is manslaughter by the letter of the law, but that is my point.
    This is possibly the most stupid idea I have ever come across. To reduce the seriousness of drink-driving to nothing more than a game is an insult to all the people who have died thanks to those drunken bastards behind the wheel. For trivialising this extremely dangerous activity, Lawton, hang your head in shame. :mad:
    Skive wrote:
    1. You can a beer and feel it and not be over the limit.
    2. So you don't think it's acceptable to have a beer and drive?
    3. Rubbish.
    4. More rubbish. Death as a result of drink driving is manslaughter, not murder.
    5. Do poeple try and imitate banger racing on the open road? No.
    But it's immaterial anyway, because it isn't goign to happen is it.

1) You can, but it is a very thin line to walk on, and no one could judge, if they were feeling the effects of alcohol, if they were actually over the limit or not. There is no way of knowing. The effects of alcohol can also creep up on you a period of time after drinking. You could get in the car feeling fine, but actually be over the limit.

That was my point, which you seemed to miss.

2) I didn't say that. I said it is extremely difficult to judge whether you would be fit to drive. The only way to stop this is to have a zero tolerance approach, i.e. no drink at all. I often wonder how things like chocolate licquers and cakes with brandy in or foods cooked in wine would affect this. I know you wouldn't be drunk, but would they register????

3) On a lot of occasions the drink driver does walk away unharmed. He's the one in the car remember. They don't just hit other cars, they hit pedestrians, or cause other vehicles to swerve into an accident. Argue the point rather than just dismissing it as rubbish.

4) See my other post.

5) Some idiots do imitate motor racing on the streets. They are a minority I admit, but they do it. Just as kids imitate Wayne Rooney in the park, you will always get someone trying to do it. I think the original idea was hypothetical anyway, don't you?

I cannot see how anyone can in any way defend drink driving. It is simply the most reckless form of disregard for other peoples safety and lives that a person can take.