Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cost of commuting in London?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I'm looking around for another job at the minute, and I was just curious about how much it costs to commute, because I don't have to in my current job which probably saves me a bomb, if I move to another job I want to be sure the extra wage isn't all going on commuting.......also I'm moving to greenwich soon so will be in zone2, most likely commuting into the city somewhere........so any londoners out there who can give me a rough estimate for how much this will cost? thanks in advance.

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Your best bet is to take a look at the TFL website see here

Oyster is always cheaper than paying per ride if you travel by bus, I think it's like 80P Oyster V £1.50 paying for individual tickets now.

Paying to commute can be pretty pricey, but may be worth it for a particular job.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i get a monthly travelcard zones 1-3 costing abt £100.. very expensive lol
    yeah i couldn't believe it was so much cheaper to have oyster card for single bus fares, when my friend told me i ordered one on the spot.......the TFL site is good for fare prices but I'm trying to work out if its cheaper to get a travelcard, or pay daily return fares with a YPR.......i'm guessing travelcard is cheaper, but i'll only really know once i start commuting.......oh well, ta for the advice.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Beware of the below if your considering using a YPR to commute during peak hours:

Minimum fares / Time restrictions
    Travelling before 10am minimum fares:
    This applies to all tickets except the Off-Peak Day Travelcard (All Zones only) which has separate minimum fare conditions. On or before 10am Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays and during July and August) there is a minimum fare that applies to all purchases with a Young Persons Railcard. This is either £8.00 or £16.00 depending on the type of ticket being purchased. Most will be £8.00, but the following ticket types have a minimum fare of £16.00: Standard Day Returns, Standard Open Returns, European Open Returns.

For example: If an undiscounted Single ticket costs £8.50 and the normal 1/3 discount makes the fare £5.60, you will have to pay the minimum fare of £8.00.

If an undiscounted Standard Open Return costs £27.00, then you will get the full 1/3 discount as the discounted fare of £17.80 is higher than the £16.00 minimum fare.

If you travel regularly before 10am, then a weekly or monthly season ticket may be more appropriate.

Off-Peak Day Travelcards (All Zones only):
    Before 10am Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays and in July and August) the minimum fare is £8.00. At and after 10am on Monday to Friday and as advertised on Saturdays, Sundays, Public Holidays and during July and August the minimum fare is £4.70.
    My boyfriend use to buy a weekly travelcard on his oyster zones 1-6 for £41.00, but as he only makes two journeys a day on it normally mon - fri, costing him £7 a day or £35 a week he now uses just pre pay. Unless he knows that he will be going into London shopping or something at the weekend then its cheaper to get a travelcard.
    thanks for that jst, i'd heard something about peak time travelling restrictions with YPR......my question is if you buy at the ticket machine how will they know you're travelling on YPR and not a normal ticket when you go through the barriers? i know child tickets make a funny beep on the machines, i've nearly been caught out a few times by this lol..........but there are never any inspectors actually on the trains i've noticed so what's stopping people doing this.....
    YPR does not make a sound when you go through, but if you do get checked and you have brouth that type of ticket without the YPR then you could face a fine for not having the correct ticket. I know it costs £20 a year but it you make a regular jounerys you soon save that money and more.
    yer i've had to blag my way out of that one a few times, they can be quite strict on that........but surely if i get caught with a YPR ticket during peak hours (i do own a YPR btw) i can plead ignorance, i'd doubt they'd fine me i'd prolly just have to pay the full fare.......
    Ticket issuing machines will sell tickets with YPR but at the minimum fare rate only. If the machine allows you to buy an off peak ticket during peak then you will be rejected at the barrier. The majority of travelcards with YPR that dont meet the minimum value during peak times will be rejected by barriers also.

If you are gripped (ticket checked) during a journey, you will be forced to pay for a new full fare ticket, of if your lucky you will be excessed (have your ticket rounded up to full fare amount). However if you do it every day you can eventually get spotted and given a thorough bollocking.
    i'm guessing you're some kind of ticket inspector lol......yeah doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle, i'll just get a monthly travelcard i think....
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i'm guessing you're some kind of ticket inspector lol......yeah doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle, i'll just get a monthly travelcard i think....
    No I'm not, just knowledgeable.
    JsT wrote:
    No I'm not, just knowledgeable.
    JsT just doesn't want the train companies getting their grubby hands on any more of his money than is absolutely necessary. :p And I don't blame him!
    stargalaxy wrote:
    JsT just doesn't want the train companies getting their grubby hands on any more of his money than is absolutely necessary. :p And I don't blame him!
    No. If I dont want them to get my money I wouldnt' use them at all.
    JsT wrote:
    No. If I dont want them to get my money I wouldnt' use them at all.
    "Oh, yes please, Mr Branson, I want you to have my money..." :p
    Which bit of greenwich are you moving to???

If you can walk to greenwich DLR/mainline then your in zone 2

If your the other side of the park your in Zone 3.

However the tube is in Zone 2 and all the bus stops up until the old hospital.

I live on the Zone 3 and i pay £99.50 a month for my travel card - though I could get away with theoretically getting the tube and bus to and from work but it takes longer than getting the train.

You can't use your YPRC to buy travelcards or buy tickets before 9.30 in the morning. Though they usually let you buy the ticket after the last train to london after 9.30 has left - ie there is a train at about 9.25 so you can buy a ticket after its left for the next train - though unfortunately that one isn't untill 9.55.

Hope that makes sense
    stargalaxy wrote:
    "Oh, yes please, Mr Branson, I want you to have my money..." :p
    Shut up you plank.