Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Culture + Poverty = Crime???

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes but you could sensibly suggest that a higher proportion of black people liked rap music than any other ethnicity, and thus if for some reason rap music was associated with violence of some kind you would expect there to be a higher proportion of black people involved in that violence.

Simplifying things of course, and I don't really belive that the music you listen to influences your behaviour to such a degree but there you are.....
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But what is 'black culture'? Is there such thing? Is there such thing as white culture for that matter?

It would be ridiculous to assume or suggest, for instance, that a majority of black people are into rap music. Just as it would be ridiculous to assume a majority of white people listen to Christina Aguilera.

Gangsta culture is predominantly black. It's roots are black, it's music is black. It comes from the black ghettoes.

Culture and ethnicity are linked, because culture and perspective is, to an extent, passed down from the previous generation.
  • Options
    Are Italians mafiosi by nature then? Can you expect to find a horse's head in your bed if you cross an Italian workmate?

In any case muggings are not exactly related to the 'gangsta culture' so I see no link there.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You could argue that the lower on average education means they are easier for the police to outwit and catch, and that police racism means that they will be more likely to be investigated, but nah. I am just wondering if there are any other links being looked into...it's too glib to point to culture alone, so perhaps there are links between rapists regardles of race.
    But poor attainment in schools with afro-carrebeans is to do with culture too.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are Italians mafiosi by nature then? Can you expect to find a horse's head in your bed if you cross an Italian workmate?

In any case muggings are not exactly related to the 'gangsta culture' so I see no link there.

I think you're missing the point in your haste to dismiss ethno-cultural links...

A culture/subculture can be linked to ethnicity. I don't know how that could be denied.
  • Options
    I've heard arguments that say because of blacks average IQ being 85 and them having higher testosterone levels makes them more criminally active than other races.
  • Options
    Only claims of low IQ amongst blacks have been comprehensively dismissed as rubbish.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've heard arguments that say because of blacks average IQ being 85 and them having higher testosterone levels makes them more criminally active than other races.

and...?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    and...?

And nothing.

Just saying I've read the arguments.
  • Options
    So have I. What are your thoughts on those arguments?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Not sure, lets just say the IQ argument is true, having a low IQ might prevent you from suceeding in education, meaning you'll probably be living in some sort of poverty and have to resort to crime. Then if you have children they'll more than likely come from a broken home and the cycle continues. Not sure what having higher levels of testosterone would do in relation to crime.
  • Options
    Whats the point in assuming something is true if it is actually not true?
  • Options
    Black people aren't more stupid, and aren't inherently more violent.

Out of interest JimV, would saying "Christians are immoral and stupid" be enough to get a closure and a warning? That's a disgraceful generalisation too, if we're to go down that path.

The black culture in this country appears, to an outsider, to be hugely influenced by the ghetto culture in the USA, which is, in turn, hugely influenced by particularly Jamaican culture. Which is homophobic, misogynistic and hugely violent. Then there's the tribal cultures of middle Africa- Zaire, Sudan, etc- where female genital mutilation, torture and racial genocide are still hugely prevalent. Then there's South Africa which has become one of the most dangerous countries in the world, and has a president which attacks anti-rape campaigners as racist. In my experience young 2nd-gen male Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are leaning towards the Detroit and Chicago ghetto culture too.

The premise of my post was the recent murders, and the fact that young black men are hugely more likely to commit horrific group rape attacks- see the police source, see the "victim" of the London bomb who had gang-raped two young teenage girls the equivalent of 48 times (source)- indicates that something is wrong in those communities. The school drop-out rate indicates huge problems.

I should state that I don't think black people are evil, are disgusting, are rapists. But something is turning the young men from these communities into muggers, rapists and murderers. I don't believe it to be poverty- Newcastle is full of asylum seekers who behave themselves, and earn far less than these people- and I don't believe it to be race. I believe that the black culture- that of the MOBO, that ofa generic ghettoised culture- is causing these people to not care about lives.

Next question is how to change it? I don't know.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

The Inquisition begins...

I smell a witch! A witch I tell you!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Whats the point in assuming something is true if it is actually not true?

Erm...that's what an argument is.

If someone argues something it may or may not be true.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Erm...that's what an argument is.

If someone argues something it may or may not be true.

err..its not true. end of argument
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    err..its not true. end of argument

So it's all about history of slavery and racism then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    So it's all about history of slavery and racism then :rolleyes:

The Bell Curve has been ridiculed in all serious medical circles.

What is there to argue?

I think people from Newry are made of cheese. Shall we argue that?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Bell Curve has been ridiculed in all serious medical circles.

What is there to argue?

I think people from Newry are made of cheese. Shall we argue that?

Ok it's not true. Fair enough.

Now what is the real reason for ghetto culture? blagsta says it might have something to do with the history of slavery and racism, then he jumps on people's case for being too simplistic. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok it's not true. Fair enough.

Now what is the real reason for ghetto culture? blagsta says it might have something to do with the history of slavery and racism, then he jumps on people's case for being too simplistic. :crazyeyes

Are you trolling again? If you read your own post - "it might have something to do with the history of slavery and racism". How that also means "it's all about history of slavery and racism", fuck knows. :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Are you trolling again? If you read your own post - "it might have something to do with the history of slavery and racism". How that also means "it's all about history of slavery and racism", fuck knows. :confused:

Me? Trolling? Coming from the person who says "fuck off" and "you're a cunt" in every other post, that's rich. I'll edit it if you want o great one :rolleyes:

And still doesn't get away from my point, your thesis on ghetto culture is very simplistic, even if you say it only "might" be something to do with history of slavery and racism.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Me? Trolling? Coming from the person who says "fuck off" and "you're a cunt" in every other post, that's rich. I'll edit it if you want o great one :rolleyes:

Yes, you, the person who admits to trying to wind me up on purpose.
    turlough wrote:
    And still doesn't get away from my point, your thesis on ghetto culture is very simplistic, even if you say it only "might" be something to do with history of slavery and racism.

Oh christ. :banghead:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think racism and the history of slavery plays a big part.

Why did you say "O Christ :banghead: " When I questioned this.

And I've never just winded people up on purpose without having something constructive to say also. I aint no Born Slippy.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why did you say "O Christ :banghead: " When I questioned this.

And I've never just winded people up on purpose without having something constructive to say also. I aint no Born Slippy.

So posting about The Bell Curve is constructive is it?

Also, if you notice, in my original point about slavery etc, I wrote "just a thought", thus indicating that it wasn't a totally developed line of argument, just something I tossed into the thread in a spare moment.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So posting about The Bell Curve is constructive is it?

Also, if you notice, in my original point about slavery etc, I wrote "just a thought", thus indicating that it wasn't a totally developed line of argument, just something I tossed into the thread in a spare moment.

Erm I've just said I've read about it, not that I believe it.

And I believe I have a right to mention it in a political debate without having you going nuts about it and calling me a troll.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Erm I've just said I've read about it, not that I believe it.

And I believe I have a right to mention it in a political debate without having you going nuts about it and calling me a troll.

I wasn't calling you a troll. I was asking if you were trolling. See the difference? I do actually (usually) choose my words carefully. Not due to you posting about The Bell Curve, but due to your (seemingly deliberate) misinterpration of my post.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    it might have something to do with the history of slavery and racism

But that idea doesn't stand up to much scrutiny either.

Otherwise why don't the Welsh, Scots, Irish and northern English spend their days raping and murdering each other?

The choice of target could sometimes show a racist influence- particularly the way young Asian men target blonde teenage girls for group rape- but other than that, I don't really think it does.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Otherwise why don't the Welsh, Scots, Irish and northern English spend their days raping and murdering each other?

Are you saying that that's what black people do?
  • Options
    Get a grip people, everyone is jumping on everyone without really reading the posts they put here.

Black culture as i said is not one culture, there is north american east coast black culture, and southern american black culture and london black culture, etc. Just as there is white french culture, white british culture, etc. There is no such thing as "Black Culture" in one big generalisation.

Also the idea that all black people are in anyway inherantly criminal or less intelligent is just plain bollocks and you all know it. No one is saying that, or if they are they a complete tosspot.

As for the example of all Italians been mafia, associated with the cosa nostra, thats just silly too! It is not a case of ALL Italians are in the mafia, its a case of all Mafia been Italian. That means MOST Italians are not associated with organised crime.

It is not a case of poverty as a sole reason, or persecution for that matter, it is a combination of social and yes cultural factors working in conjunction that affect the criminal rates of a particular culture of a group in society. Not forgotting influences of foreign but relatable cultures.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

And exactly how am I supposed to read that in any other way other than you believe black people spend their time doing those things.

Remember your talking about a tiny minority of a huge group of people, and you're doing it in a way that is painting all black people and especially all young black men as something that is aborrent and disgusting to them and to everyone else.

White men are the largest group of rapists by numbers in this country, would you like be called a rapist everytime you read a post in this thread?

The largest number of racist attacks in this country, including the appalling murder recently a young black man in Liverpool, are by white men. Does that mean you are a murderer and a racist?

Branding all black men as the same is racism, it's exactly what racism is.

If you can't debate the issues involved here without sounding racist, then I'd suggest you take a look at where your feelings on this issue are really coming from. I don't know how many young black people you work with, but I can imagine how those who work at TheSite towers would feel to be told they 'spend their days raping and murdering each other?'.