Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Football Racism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Cant find an article but just seen on the news. Samual Eto spat (disgraceful) at a Athletico Bilboa player. Then the Bilboa coach says that what you get from players who desend from trees.

The Spanish game has a real problem and serious action needs to be taken.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    film_buff wrote:
    Cant find an article but just seen on the news. Samual Eto spat (disgraceful) at a Athletico Bilboa player. Then the Bilboa coach says that what you get from players who desend from trees.

yeah seen that on the news tonght as well, wasn't just a wee bit of spit either was a full on in the face mofo,

this from the second best player in europe, nice example to set eh?

even better from the bilbao coach, idiots like that should be sacked on the spot for saying things like that.
    My immediate reaction when seeing is was why Eto'o spat at him. Eto'o isn't reknowned for that sort of thing; he is famous for being one of the biggest targets of racial abuse, mostly because of who he plays for.

The Spanish game has huge problems, but whilst the Spanish continue to deny there is a problem then nothing will get done. The English game is no better; as I've said before, Bradford City's Jamaican goalkeeper was sent off for pointing out the score to a racist abuser at Southend (and the abuser was nicked for it, for the record). His loss knocked us out the cup too.
    film_buff wrote:

Samuel Eto'o should be condemned for doing this, but you have to wonder what sort of abuse led to this kind of behaviour, because from what I've seen, he's a model professional, not in the same category as Diouf or Totti (I presume he's 'decended from trees' too)
    Equally, the Bilbao coach should be sacked, as the Spanish coach should have been after the Thierry Henry incident.
    Basically, all it takes is for FIFA to hve to balls to ban the country from the World Cup. After the England fans "I'd rather be a **** than a Turk" chants, England were (rightly) given a final warning that any further incident would result in expulsion from the World Cup (edit: I didn't know it edited racist terms out, because I wanted people who didn't know about this chant to hear what it was. Someone from Pakistan, for anyone who doesn't know). Why have Spain not been given warnings for similar offenses, including the disgraceful behaviour in the friendly match over England? A lot of 'fans' argue that getting rid of this would mean losing the 'ultras' and sacrificing some atmosphere, but I don't see why children watching the match (which is why televised matches are the most important ones to deal with first) should be taught that this kind of abuse is acceptable. I think it says a lot that even some of the footballers themselves seem to treat it as just 'a bit of stick' and that fans do it even when they too have black players on their own team. This is a dangerous level of acceptance, because this type of behaviour trickles down into the rest of society. How long before it reaches school football matches or the playground?
    I couldn't care less if the whole of Spanish (and any other, including English) football has to be punished for things like this, because the bottom line is that the Spanish FA and it's clubs have proved completely inept at stamping out this kind of abuse, and it's not something that they should be allowed to inflict on the rest of the world. It will take either FIFA to have the balls to ban countries, where they've made no effort to stamp out the problem, from the World Cup or European competition, or a country will have to walk off the pitch after this kind of abuse (preferably the team who's fans are responsible), and FIFA will have to back them by banning the opposing team. I would have huge respect for the England team to walk off the pitch during the World Cup final if some of it's own fans were being abusive towards black players of another nation, even if it meant sacrificing the World Cup. I'd rather our national game had morals and a sense of fair play than the title of best in the world.

But then again Spain brings so much money to football, why does it matter? :rolleyes:
    Chances are Eto'o was racially abused. And yes, there is a nagging problem that won't go away, though incredibly the perpetrators (be sections of the public or fellow players) claim they're not racist but they're just doing it to ''wind the player up'' and make him have a bad game... :rolleyes:

For the record though, Eto'o is a cocky arrogant cunt.
    Aladdin wrote:
    For the record though, Eto'o is a cocky arrogant cunt.

Who happens to play for Barca ;)

I'll be shocked if there is any action taken against anyone involved in this sad incident...
    No, he really is. Ronaldinho also plays for Barcelona and he actually got a standing ovation at the Bernabeu. Because not only he's a superb player but a decent human being.

Eto'o on the other hand is a shit-stirrer of the worst kind.

Back to the racism issue, things are bad everywhere but Italy seems to take the biscuit. I couldn't find a link online but I was reading in the Observer the other day about Di Canio's latest antics. When a black team-mate scored a goal, Di Canio proceeded to "play-strangle" him and pull his ears hard as a 'celebration'. There was a picture of it in the paper and the black player didn't look very happy about it. And then, the fans from both teams, including obviously the team that had just conceaded a goal, started chanting "Di Canio is our man, he's one of us".

:no:
    I would have huge respect for the England team to walk off the pitch during the World Cup final if some of it's own fans were being abusive towards black players of another nation, even if it meant sacrificing the World Cup. I'd rather our national game had morals and a sense of fair play than the title of best in the world.

Fully agree with you here if they did it they would have my full respect, even if we went out because they did it (We'd be thrown out cause its England). I imagine if they did though the News of The World would slate them for a long time.

Whats surprised me is that players havent walked off yet, if i was getting abuse like that i'd walk straight off. Im glad our FA are attempting to rid the game of racism its just that a few wankers remain. A couple of seasons in a game i went to see a black player was fouled (a actual foul) in the box and then converted the penalty. Some guy quite a few rows away stood up and shouted "you fucking black bastard go back to where you belong, yes this is to a english player. At least this thug got what he deserved 2 guys in front turned round and smacked him, much to the cheer of the fans in that section of the crowd.
    god Di Canio is the worst for this, he openly admits in interviews to "being a fascist, but not a racist"

ive seen loads of pictures of him doing nazi salutes etc... mainland europe really does have a greater problem that the UK

_41139432_di_canio203_270.jpg
    koe_182 wrote:
    god Di Canio is the worst for this, he openly admits in interviews to "being a fascist, but not a racist"

ive seen loads of pictures of him doing nazi salutes etc... mainland europe really does have a greater problem that the UK.

But he does play for the most fascist club in the world. I mean, they were Mussolini's favourite team after all.

Eto'o is a shit-stirrer but the same happened in Italy to Ivory Coast Defender Marc Zoro who plays for Messina. The worst abuse happened against, surprise, surprise, Lazio. Here is the article.

I think the best bit about it was when the team blackened their faces as a shot of solidarity. That was a great gesture.
    Who happens to play for Barca ;)

He also rejected Real Madrid:p

All the latin countries have huge problems with it. Spain and France are by far and away the worst for it, but Portugal and France have big problems too.

England aren't as good as they like to think, but English fans who racially abused the Turkish were condemned for it. Oddly, the Spanish, Italians, Turkish and the plethora of Eastern European countries aren't. Funny that.