Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Iran...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I never said i disagreed with your statemenets on the petrodollar CLandy or on Americas fears of a Nuclear Iran, you were the one who ignored that i said all that and then did what you always did by insulting me. Then funnily enough went on to say exactly the same thing but insult my source because i saw it in a tv show and you read it in some long winded book.

I know all about William Clarke's original theories on the Opec/Petrodollar relations over Iraq, which is where it really comes from the fact that Iran is just a next step in regional control. *yawn* It is common sense after all. But you missed the fact it was the stealthly theft of the worlds second largest oil reserve as a fear over the Chinese debt purchase totalling some $200Billion. Even the Japanese markets have not bothered to pick up the slack as expected by the USA, which is why the fear of the Euro as an alternative global currency exists removing Americas two primary pillars of domination. The economy been one, the military been the other. It is all quite simple as i stated, and i didnt need to put in a boring never ending book quote. I read it myself and then wrote it.

William Clarke's book the Petrodollar Warfare, i think it is called, was a slightly slow read, but at least it explained everything.

The reason for my list of names was, as i said, unlike you i do not see the need to go on at length reciting what other people said, instead of saying it for myself. I was giving examples of educators and where i get my knowledge from. I understand this as well, maybe better then most as i have studied this a hell of a lot more. Now forgot this Vendetta, please. I am asking you to stop been insulting and childish and start been civilised. The constant spelling correcions is not smart either, as i can do that to you as much as you can to me, so stop needling me and get on with the thread.
    NQA wrote:
    You're kidding right? A country which can't even feed its own people isn't going to be one of the top military powers - its a bit more difficult than kidnapping innocent Japanese citizens
    Perhaps one of the reasons they can't feed their own people is because they devote all their resources to the military.

North Korea is actually very capable of developing their own missiles, and are said to have a formidable anti-shipping missile capacity. They are very capable of sinking the crown jewels of the US Navy if the Americans dare to bring them any close to them. And they have a motivated, large army on the ground.

In short, they would put a formidable fight, and the US would not have the walkover it enjoyed with Iraq, by any stretch of the imagination.

Add that to their all-but-confirmed nuclear capability, and NK is as safe as any country can be against Uncle Sam.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps one of the reasons they can't feed their own people is because they devote all their resources to the military.

North Korea is actually very capable of developing their own missiles, and are said to have a formidable anti-shipping missile capacity. They are very capable of sinking the crown jewels of the US Navy if the Americans dare to bring them any close to them. And they have a motivated, large army on the ground.

In short, they would put a formidable fight, and the US would not have the walkover it enjoyed with Iraq, by any stretch of the imagination.

Add that to their all-but-confirmed nuclear capability, and NK is as safe as any country can be against Uncle Sam.

Silly you. This is a North Korean tank:

I have the USMC handbook to Korea, btw... don't ask... I just do. It makes me laugh... "Do not drink river water." "Do not sleep with Prostitues." "Do not adopt local animals as pets." :lol:

TBH, the T-34 picutred could shoot all it has at an Abrams, without doing significant damage. It's a WW2 tank. Their Airforce is also pants, containing jets from the Korean War. Their Infantry might be the only fight the US face. Guerilla Tactics... but still. The only detereant, is, the fact they now HAVE nukes.
    They have nearly 3,000 more modern tanks, such as the T54,55,59 and 62.

Still old equipment compared with latest generation tanks though.
    North Korean missile capabilities are a real concern, but still, with the Air superiority of of America or China, you have to wonder how long they would last, if they didnt have nuclear capability, which i think they do.
    subject, enough with the persecution complex please. I have no "vendetta" against you. You constantly demand "debate" and thereby should be prepared to demonstrate accepted debate process, with supporting references for your claims.

You'll find, as I have over the years, that people here have no interest in your "say so" regardless of what qualifications (academic or professional) you may claim to have. I too can produce a roster of PhD's from whom I have earned my degrees, but to the other posters it's worthless since few if any know each other personally.

Now, back to the topic at hand.
    Concerning the current push from US/UK leaders against Iran, the real threat is likely to emerge in the coming months in the form of the proposed Iranian exchange which could set in motion the final decline of the dollar with the inflationary effects to be felt most strongly by those currencies pegged to the dollar.

I suspect we shall be seeing China making some bold economic shifts toward the Euro as a reserve currency in the next few years, if not directly following the inauguration of the Iranian exchange. Given that China sources 13% of its oil from Iran, they will certainly not cater to any UN moves against them.
    Are we agreed things will be civilised from now on Cland?

I agree that we will see a shift from China towards the Euro. As i said, China has moved some £200Billion in ourchase of American debts. However, i still think the Dollar will prevail. A huge downturn is definately coming and a recession in its wake, but with America's economic capacity and the lack of strength supporting the Euro, i still can not see the American economy losing its world leader status.

Certainly not when Hillary Clinton is President and reverts to "third way" economics.
    Firstly, I would have to disagree with the oft touted and largely proverbial US "economic strength". With the steady erosion of the US industrial base and the now well advanced export of those former jobs to more easily exploited markets, America's hefty trade inbalance and now staggering foreign financed debt (thanks to the renewed myopic militancy of the neocon radicals) needs only the abandonment of dollar reserves by the top serveral petroleum consumer nations to push it over the precipice.

Once the switch to the more stable and substantively backed (15% gold backed) Euro as the reserve currency of choice for China and subsequently Japan is made, the Fed will be forced to raise interest rates, thus beginning the inflationary cycle. Without the recycling of petro dollars for goods, the American public will feel the full weight of non-deferrable interest demanded by the longtime foreign creditor nations.

Knock on effects of this will be felt worst by those nations whose currencies are still pegged to the dollar.

Little wonder why significant political opposition is now rising within the US's longtime sphere of influence in Latin America with Venezuela as well turning to the Euro standard.

There simply isnt the military capability, for all its sole hyperpower status, to halt this process through bully boy tactics. In fact, as I have long argued here and elsewhere, it is precisely this arrogant and brutal use of unilateral force against Iraq and Afghanistan to retain global hegemony through energy blackmail that has hastened, not slowed my nation's economic demise.

I for one wish the full weight of these criminal ideologues' agenda and actions (i.e. total betrayal of the norms of international law and Constitutional limitations on Federal powers) to be their undoing and hopefully the catalyst for their extradition, in chains, to the next Nuremberg-styled tribunal.

Further, I wouldnt count on Hillary Clinton ever gaining the Oval Office or "third way" economics saving the ship. Pandering to the deregulatory PR of grasping MNC interests is precisely what has led us, irresponsibly and unaccountably to the brick wall we are soon to hit.
    the only chance america has to gian back its economic prosperity is to get a Democrat back in the White House, and if Hiliary is anything like her husband with economics then they need her to win the presidency very soon.
    Walkindude wrote:
    the only chance america has to gian back its economic prosperity is to get a Democrat back in the White House, and if Hiliary is anything like her husband with economics then they need her to win the presidency very soon.

Unemployment in America is low - below 5%. The Dow Jones hit 11,000 for the first time since September, 11th. Doesn't sound too bad for me. When was the last time unemployment was below 5% in France or Germany? And for the foreseeable future it’s an impossibility that unemployment could ever be as low in France and Germany as it is in America at the moment.

I don't see how America needs to ‘gain back’ its economic prosperity, I think you're confusing the United States with France and Germany.
    No, America is one step away from a huge swing downwards economically, its plain to see. The current government is holding on to this "boom" by throwing eveything it can at it, but that will not last much longer.
    You should be smart enough to realise that unemployment figures are largely a PR scam, dis. They have never taken into account those whose unemployment has endured long enough for them to lose all benefits and thus have ceased to apply for compensation. As for the Dow, once again, the foibles of the stock market itself are based on the maintenance of the dollar hegemony as the global reserve currency to stay afloat and provide the illusion of growth (and even that for none but the top 1% of stockholders).

Once the petrodollar hegemony is overturned, youll see the Dow plummet worse than it did during the crash of 1929. What's worse, without the industrial base of that bygone era, recovery wont be forthcoming without greater suffering and sacrifice and rebuilding than my nation has ever had to face.
    subject13 wrote:
    No, America is one step away from a huge swing downwards economically, its plain to see. The current government is holding on to this "boom" by throwing eveything it can at it, but that will not last much longer.
    Well there's nothing like a good war to boost the economy.
    aye, unemployment is acually pretty high I thought, adn they have gone back into deficit, after being multi million sin credit. Bush has done that in waht 5 years of office? not good.
    Bush's Half a Trillion dollar tax cut didnt help the US economy. People didnt suddenly go spending!
    subject13 wrote:
    Bush's Half a Trillion dollar tax cut didnt help the US economy. People didnt suddenly go spending!
    no cos the super wealthy aren't exactly going to go out and spend their windfall down the shops are they.
    but ...if that half a trillion dollars had been put into those at the bottom to middle ...there would have been a spending and investment boom.
    Im sure it was an across the board taxi cut, but then again i didnt really check.
    subject13 wrote:
    Im sure it was an across the board taxi cut, but then again i didnt really check.
    it was to an extent ...the poorest ended up about three hundred quid a year better off ...not exactly going to be rushing out to buy or book much me thinks.
    You have the right of it. The winfall of that "tax cut" was to the wealthy.

What isnt mentioned by the roster of "usual suspects" touting the official line in the media is that the additional knock on effect of that tax cut was a severance of ongoing state budgetary financing which left most middle income families with the lion's share of the bill (far exceeding the paltry returns) at state and local levels, thus nullifying the oft touted, but fraudulent "across the board winfall".
    Don't forget that with a fiat currency, if you halve taxes it's meaningless, because you can pump as much new cash out as you want because it's just paper to put everyone back where they were.

It's not like you found a new gold mine or anything.

In fact, the only point of taxation at all is that it makes something almost valueless (paper) have a value - i.e. it can be used to get rid of the violent kidnappers of the IR/IRS/other alphabet soup agency.
    Maybe with all the debt of the US, they will do a Germany and just print more money!
    Maybe with all the debt of the US, they will do a Germany and just print more money!

Yes, they will do.

The owe trillions but there is only money in existence (abou 0.9% of total debt) to pay back a fraction of that. Our system is exactly the same. The bank doesn't have any money, it just has lots of promises to provide money later on. This means that all banks are engaged in fraud beyond imagining. It also means that most are paying for a mortgage that they don't even owe.
    quite shocking really.

its amazing they have the money to pay the staff and keep the lights on. The richest countries in the world actually in debt by trillions? amazing.
    Please...it costs a Billion $dollars$ just to switch the lights on in the Pentagon!
    I bet!!

how the hell do they afford it all. Is it all from taxes?
    By mortgaging the futures of young Americans and those yet unborn.
    subject13 wrote:

They have to keep printing more all the time... half of it heads back to Russia as the Russian Mafia in the US sends it home. If Russia actually returned all her Dollars... the US economy would collapse! :shocking:
    The people should simply bypass the government and start using Monopoly money.

If enough folk joined in, it'd work!

:p
    Haha... top idea. Let's ALL do it!