Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help with my site

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
_

Comments

• Options
    welcome to the origional sonic page suggests you are the first ever person to make a sonic webpage
  • Options
    Heya, can someone please help me with my site?
    www.original-sonic.iwarp.com
    (I don't want any comments, there's nothing wrong with Sonic ;) )
    Any hoo, as you can see when you go onto it, there's a marquee program, now, the idea is, I want it to go from the middle of the screen, to the left of the screen, to the right of the screen, back to the middle then stay there in the middle. Can anyone help me do that?
    Not sure if this is in the right section, hope so

P.S
    My marquee at the moment is different depending if yo use IE or firefox, I want it to be the same on both browsers, thanks

I could probably help, but my view is that marquees are the turgid spawn of the devil, so I don't think I will.

You should concentrate on your content first, then sort out the presentation.
  • Options
    Agree with Mist. Marquess, unless you're a news or corporate site (the BBC one is a notable exception - like everything else on that site), generally look tacky.

I am, or was until monday, a web designer and personally, in all my time doing sites, I've only used a marquee once (www.egbcc.org) at a request of the guy I was doing the site for.

If you've got something like that, perhaps a Flash banner would look better? It would certainly allow you to do whatever you wanted with it.

Plus, as a piece of constructive criticism, I think the font that you've used for the marquee looks tacky and like it should be on Nickleodeon or something.

If you can't do Flash, I suggest you check out Dynamic Drive who have a shit load of DHTML scripts for your pleasure. They show you an example and then all the code you need which you just put straight into the code of the site.

Just out of interest, what design program are you using? Is it Dreamweaver or something else?

And the browser issue - some things just don't work in some browsers or look different. It´s just the way they are. For example, Firefox doesn't render custom scrollbars (ie, as dictated by a css) and frames can sometimes go all over the place. Sadly it's just down to the code of the browser and how each browser interprets proportions and so on within a website. Though I use Firefox, I do all my sites to look as they should in IE first as that's the browser of choice of most people in the world. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Ok, I just checked the code and you have used Dynamic Drive. Without PHP Nuke which sadly isn't installed in this damn internet cafe, I can't help you with the browser issue so probs best just to get it to work in IE and accept the fact that without something universal like Flash or PHP, as long as you use DHTML scripts, you sadly can't please everone. There's always some arsehole who emails me from one of my sites telling me it doesn't work properly in Opera or Safari. Dicks.

You probably know this but I would seriously consider editing the menu colour sceme.
  • Options
    well, if designers didn't keep designing for IE it wouldn't stay the browser of choice/or most commonly subjected upon, for much longer.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    well, if designers didn't keep designing for IE it wouldn't stay the browser of choice/or most commonly subjected upon, for much longer.

You do talk some rubbish sometimes.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

designers make their site so people will visit it, which wouldnt happen if it wasnt working in IE
  • Options
    what would be useful was if there were a universal standard, one that was a best fit for the best current browsers, and then future browser developers would go by the standard.

Mist: what's the point in rubbishing what I say? If you have a point to make then make it but don't just post 'rubbish'.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    what would be useful was if there were a universal standard, one that was a best fit for the best current browsers, and then future browser developers would go by the standard.

Mist: what's the point in rubbishing what I say? If you have a point to make then make it but don't just post 'rubbish'.

But that was my point.

Anyway, to expand, designers design for IE because most people browse in IE, and fundamentally most designers are designing around a business decision that they want to present themselves to the widest audience possible in order to maximise possible returns.

To suggest that everyone should simply buck such a trend is rubbish and is not going to happen for the simple reason that there's no point designing a site around A.N. Other browser when it has low market share.

To answer your other point, there already are universal standards, it's just that they aren't implemented properly.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

That's a complete load of shite.

Designers can't do anything about the fact that most new PCs come with Windows rather than Linux or MacOS and Microsoft are not about to include Firefox on their Windows package and most people can't be bothered to change from IE.

In short, designers have no say about it so what you said was complete bollocks.