Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

getting the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i'm wanting to try the pill to see if it helps my bad period pains (which i have to have prescribed painkillers for). And of course then i know exactly when my periods coming and eventually i can use it for contraception. I asked my mum this morning if i could try it for my pains, she got in a huff saying ''oh why bother to take a pill every day when you can just take one when you need it?'' But thats the thing, hopefully generally they'll hurt less which will make life easier for me. Then she got in more of a huff because she thinks i want it because i want sex. I'm not planning to have sex any time soon but at least when i do i'm being sensible about it?
My 2 best friends are on the pill and they said you have to go see a doctor/nurse. And they figure out which ones best for you. Would it be wise to go about doing this on my own? Do i just phone up and get an appointment? I don't know how to do it without my mum finding out though.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what you say to the doctor is confidential between him/her and you and they can't tell your mum.

you could always go to brook or the FPA if you aren't comfortable with going to your GP though.

edited to add, they put u on one and if you get side effects they will change it til they find one that works for you, then you go back every three or six months to get your Blood pressure checked etc and get your new lot.
    Well I know the system is completly differnet from here and ther, but I can only assume the procedure is the same. When I first wanted bc I called up an OBGYN, made an appt and a week later was on something.

I know alot of girls who in their very early teans were started on bc pills purely for the fact of regulating their period and for pain. Its not uncommon. And very simple.
    i thought that the doctor automatically has to keep confidentiality anyway? i'm over 16 aswell
    i don't think you should hide it from your mum because im pretty sure she will come round to the idea. its probably just bit shocking at first for her because she will still think of you as her baby (my parents do and i'm almost 22!). also i think if you try to hide it she would find out anyway, like she might see your pill packet or something.

as for getting the pill, you just need to book an appt. with the doctor. he will check your weight and blood pressure and ask you some questions about you and your family history.
    Ballerina wrote:
    i thought that the doctor automatically has to keep confidentiality anyway? i'm over 16 aswell

well yeah, but you seemed worried about your mum finding out, how would she? :confused:
    Why not just tell your mother you're considering options becaus of the pain your period causes you? Most bc's comat that. Just because its clasified as a birth control pill doesn't mean its only given out for that reason. As I stated before, I've known plenty of girls on pills since they started their period, soly becouse of pain and irregularity.
    well she put her foot down and said no, so how can i get it with her knowing?
    if i say both my best friends are on it she'll just think i want it because they're on it.
    my_name wrote:
    Why not just tell your mother you're considering options becaus of the pain your period causes you? Most bc's comat that.
    thats what i told her i wanted it for, for my pains
    as above. if u really dont want her to know just be careful to hide them, although i don't know why she has such a problem with it.
    if it was me i would say: would you rather me lie to you and go behind or your back? or tell you what is going on in my life so you can be there for me. (guilt trip type thing always works).

but seriously just go get the pill, whether she likes it or not. its you who has to deal with the painful periods, not her.
    if you go to the docs she doesnt have to know about it. but mums are good at sussing things out, i guarantee she will find out later on.
    i think it was good of you to speak to your mum about it in the first place. sure, she says no but like you say you're 16 now. if you want to regulate your periods then go to the doctor about going on the pill. maybe see if your mum will come with you then she can talk to the doctor herself or something.
    Hmm. Seems a bit unfair of your mum to react like she did (although I can sort of understand why if she's worried about you going off to have sex...). Just thinking it might be sensible to try and have another talk about it with her (course I don't know your mum, you might think it unwise). But you know the pill was originally created for people with bad periods, and pain killers aren't great to be eating like sweets cos they have affects on your body and you might want to point these things out to her and maybe suggest she goes with you to the doctors to talk to them about it... maybe if you show her you're willing for her to be part of it all she'll be more reasured that you want to be on it for your pain and not cos you want to start sleeping round?
    Just an idea... :confused:

P.S. I've been taking the pill for bad period pains... well it didn't work at first cos my gynae problem had got too bad and I needed surgery.... but since then it seems to have helped a lot. I think I even had a period with taking no pks at all the other month.... It might be worth asking the doc if its possible to try-cycle too cos I've found that really helpful.
    I remember when i went on the pill i said to my mum
    'mum make me a doctors appointment please'
    her 'why do you want to go on the pill or something'
    me 'ermm yeah'
    her 'ok then you might not be able to get one untill next week though.

I was quite scandalised she had guessed, but then i suppose it was obvious i was havign sex by then anyway and she'd prefer me to be carefull and what not, so i suggest you have another little chat with your mum and just go over everything, maybe even offer for her to come to the doctors with you and then she can listen to what he has to say and it might ease some of her worries or what not.
    i want to try again but she'll probably just get in more of a huff
    she got put on the pill when she was my age for bad period pains (hers were worse than mine) and it sorted them out
    i just want to give it a go, because i'm sick of being caught out when it comes on and the cramps. The cramps usually come for up to 2 weeks before it actually starts. And i have to wait till i get the cramps before i have to go and get a painkiller. Which is annoying when i get them when i'm at school or at the bus stop or something. I'd rather take the pill everyday and not get them at all. Or at least bearable so i'm not gasping and doubled over.
    Any ideas on how to bring it up again? Even if i did want it for contraception its not really fair of her to say no because i'm not under-age.
    I think it's great that you felt you could go to your mum, really I do, but clearly she's taken it the wrong way and she's made her feelings quite clear. Only you will really know but do you really think there's a chance of her seeing sense and being reasonable if you approach her again?

If not I'd make your own decision, frankly. You say she's said no, but how will she stop you?
    It seems odd she's so against you going on the pill if she did for the very reason you've told her you want to go on it. :confused:

Do you know if it helped her much? And did you mention all this stuff about how annoying it is having to wait for the cramps before you can have painkillers and how long you have them for and all of it?

You could try the 'look mum, I'm going to get it anyway, I just want your support' route... but maybe not if you think she'll have a go at you... hmm it's a tricky one.

Do you know roughly how many painkillers you have to taken each month? If it's quite a lot you could try the 'I'd prefer to take one tablet a day then have to have about 8 each day for over a week' thing...

:chin:
    I know the pill was a godsend for her because she has a tilted womb so she got labour cramps every month. She even had an operation which did nothing. But the pill sorted her.
    I think she thinks i want it because i'm back with my boyfriend....he's 19 and i've just turned 16 so she probably thinks im wanting to sleep with him asap. Which is bollocks. But even if i were....at least i'd be being sensible right?
    I'm really paranoid about just relying on condoms because they split, so i'd like to be on the pill for a backup when i do start having sex. So if i start now, then at least i'm used to it and know how my bodys working when it does come to that.
    I only need to take 1 painkiller and it sorts it out for a few hours. But the thing is, i don't really want to be carrying prescription painkillers around in my school bag because it isn't unusual for people to go rooting around when you leave your bag in the changing rooms. And i don't really want to be gasping and keeling over in the middle of a lesson, then having to ask if i can go and take a tablet.
    Make an appointment yourself to see your GP. Your mum cannot stop you making an appointment with a doctor - nor does she need to know about it.

When I started the pill they started me on 3 months worth and asked me to come back for a check up after 3 months. After that I was given 6 month supplies and only have to have my blood pressure taken every 6 months. (which is handy if you don't want your mum becoming suspicious about your trips to the docs).

Maybe after you've been on the pill for a while, you can let your mum know...

Ilora x
    Make an appointment yourself to see your GP. Your mum cannot stop you making an appointment with a doctor - nor does she need to know about it.

When I started the pill they started me on 3 months worth and asked me to come back for a check up after 3 months. After that I was given 6 month supplies and only have to have my blood pressure taken every 6 months. (which is handy if you don't want your mum becoming suspicious about your trips to the docs).

Maybe after you've been on the pill for a while, you can let your mum know...

Ilora x
    my mum has a blood pressure machine that she uses for work and sometimes does ours....she'd probably figure it out anyway
    How would she figure it out?

TBH, I don't see what the problem is with the Pill and young teens - why are parents are so worried their kids are having sex, surely they should be pleased their doing it safely!? - reminds me of Sally from Corrie - now there's a woman I could take a swing at :yes:

Ilora x
    How would she figure it out?

TBH, I don't see what the problem is with the Pill and young teens - why are parents are so worried their kids are having sex, surely they should be pleased their doing it safely!? - reminds me of Sally from Corrie - now there's a woman I could take a swing at :yes:

Ilora x
    because mums can read minds...and i've never been to the doctors on my own. So it would look a bit obvious, she said i couldn't go on the pill and now i'm going to the doctors on my own.
    Well if the kids are underage its understandable...but i do think some parents over-react by refusing to let their son/daughter see their boyfriend/girlfriend because they're having sex
    The chances are they were never saints when they were teenagers either.
    well aren't there other options that are just for period pains and not for contraceptive purposes? maybe you could look into that.
    maybe you could tell your mum that you want to make an appointment to ask about the best way to manage your period pains.

then when you come back, you could always say the doctor said the best thing was the pill after all.
    Or... take your mum with you, and get the doctor to explain to both of you the options - including the pill.

Maybe if she hears it from a doctor, she'll have a change of heart?

Ilora x
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    If it's of any interest, I used to get really bad period pains when I was about 16 and my GP suggested using the Pill to help out (and also to regulate my incredibly irregular periods)

I remember being worried about my mum finding out I was on the Pill because I didn't want her to think it was because I was having sex, but in the end I'm sure she believed me and didn't kick up a fuss about it.

In any case, the important issue here is that if your period pains are causing you trouble you should ask your GP for advice anyway. And if the Pill is prescribed perhaps you could explain the concerns you have regarding your mum to the doctor - he/she might be able to give you some tips on how to explain the situation to your mum. Of course, that's if you really think your mum should know, since you have a right to keep it a private matter.

Lovely facts about periods
    You really should explain to her how you feel and like someone else said get her to go along with you. Otherwise go on your own, or take a friend of yours to sit in the waiting room with you. Your 16, its your body and you can do what you want, you also seem to be mature enough to make this decision for yourself. My periods where erractic for 6 years before I went on the pill, it does make your periods a lot lighter and a lot less painful. I went from two weeks of depressive PMT to three days of being a grumpy bitch in about three months of being on it.

Also contraception is free on the NHS so you dont have to worry about paying for it.