Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Asking for a raise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been in my job since October, and in that time, my number of responsibilities have been growing steadily, to the stage where I've decided I don't get paid enough (not that I did in the first place anyway). I need to know how you broach the issue of a raise. It was strongly suggested at my interview that I would be given periodical raises, and I know that I don't get paid nearly as much as my predecessor. So what do I do? Do I just straight out ask for it? Or do I ask for a review in a few weeks, to give them a chance to assess my progress (which they should know anyway, since I work closely with the manager)? We have stocktakes every now and then, which are a decent indicator of how well things have gone, so that could be a review date, but the last one was only last week, so I'd have to wait a while. Basically, April is the date when I will really need the extra cash, purely because I will start paying tax proper then, but I would like more cash as soon as possible. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never known a place of employment to give a raise for a person working less than 6 months.
    Well I've already had two. Admittedly only 25p a time, but still. I know that the previous person got a similar kind of thing, so it's not as if I'm asking for something out of the ordinary.
    You will have to pay tax proper anyway- students don't get tax exemptions apart from for council tax. Any raise will be taxed more.

Are you directly employed, or are you employed through an agency? It's quite a tough one to broach, really. Don't go marching in demanding a raise, but certainly don't pussyfoot around the subject if you feel you are underpaid. Look around for other roles of similar experience and stature, and if everyone else is paying more then suggest it to your boss that it would aid productivity if your wages were competitive.

Don't fall out over it though. I've found that working in an environment you like is worth at least £1 an hour.
    Kermit wrote:
    You will have to pay tax proper anyway- students don't get tax exemptions apart from for council tax. Any raise will be taxed more.

Are you directly employed, or are you employed through an agency? It's quite a tough one to broach, really. Don't go marching in demanding a raise, but certainly don't pussyfoot around the subject if you feel you are underpaid. Look around for other roles of similar experience and stature, and if everyone else is paying more then suggest it to your boss that it would aid productivity if your wages were competitive.

Don't fall out over it though. I've found that working in an environment you like is worth at least £1 an hour.

I'm not a student any more. I'm just hardly paying any tax at the moment because I haven't earned enough this tax year. I'm directly employed, and I'm the only person in my company that does what I do, so it wouldn't exactly be great for them if I left either (probably a couple of months of chaos, plus a lot of work undone, while they get a new person and teach them what to do) think I'll just ask them to give me a date when we can review my wages, rather than ask outright for a raise. I think that kind of gives the impression that you don't just expect one without doing something to earn it.
    my_name wrote:
    I've never known a place of employment to give a raise for a person working less than 6 months.
    I have just been given a 1k pay rise from my employers and I have been working here for 3months! It does happen!
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    I have just been given a 1k pay rise from my employers and I have been working here for 3months! It does happen!
    Quite often, i think employers will put you on a trial at a reduced wage, with a view to increasing it once you've settled into the job a bit.
    I have been working at my job for 3 months and I got a £500 raise (not much but still).
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Quite often, i think employers will put you on a trial at a reduced wage, with a view to increasing it once you've settled into the job a bit.

:yes: I've seen that happen often