Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi has anyone got any tips on how to grow them I seem to do so well then one breaks then they all do!
any tips would be appreciated!
thanks

Comments

• Options
    keep your hands in water - it does work ;)
    also don't cut / tear / bite them or anything. :p
  • Options
    i wash them a lot, shower etc, erm, always use hand cream 2
  • Options
    i find giving mine a little trim every now and again improves their condition/makes them stronger so while that might help in that respects, it'll just take a while longer for them to grow.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    keep them all filed and in shape, try to drink milk to strengthen them.
  • Options
    Do you have Sally Hansen products there? If so, there is a bottle of polish, miracle nail grow I believe, its the one on the gold bottle. I swear by it. My nails have never grown faster and they rarely break anymore.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    keep them all filed and in shape, try to drink milk to strengthen them.

Keeping them filed is a good plan, because it gets rid of snags that you could catch things on, thus tearing the nail.
  • Options
    I have to grow my nails long to play guitar, they used to constantly break but i figured this out..
    Epoxy ontop of the fingernails makes them supa strong :D
  • Options
    I have to grow my nails long to play guitar, they used to constantly break but i figured this out..
    Epoxy ontop of the fingernails makes them supa strong :D

Aren't you male :yuck:?
    I used to play guitar, nails inhibit.
  • Options
    Hi
    Yeh I've used them before, I've just ordered the Maximun growth cos mine from years ago has gone all solid! and I've seen the gold bottle nail growth miracle which is best?
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote:
    Hi
    Yeh I've used them before, I've just ordered the Maximun growth cos mine from years ago has gone all solid! and I've seen the gold bottle nail growth miracle which is best?

Well I've actually only tried the gold one, but I love it.
  • Options
    I have to grow my nails long to play guitar

No you don't. Apparantely, it's best to keep them short, else you'll catch your nails on the strings above/below... Also, I always got told off by a friend of mine to keep them short to play guitar. (On both hands)
  • Options
    No you don't. Apparantely, it's best to keep them short, else you'll catch your nails on the strings above/below... Also, I always got told off by a friend of mine to keep them short to play guitar. (On both hands)

I tend to keep mine paticularly short on might left so i can get at the frets proplerly but let them grow on my right so that the ends of my fingers don't get sore when i've been strumming with them for hours..
  • Options
    I use hand cream that has a nail strengthener in it also file and shape my nails all the time.
  • Options
    whats the hand cream? Sounds like a good product?
    can you tell me its name so I can buy some please?
    Thanks for eveyones advice too!
  • Options
    No you're wrong. ;) Depends what you are playing. I play alot of Flamenco and Classical music, having long finger nails is like having a pick on every finger. It allows me to play strings that arn't right next to eachother at the same time.

like this..

And yes I'm male.
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote:
    whats the hand cream? Sounds like a good product?
    can you tell me its name so I can buy some please?
    Thanks for eveyones advice too!

I use loads of different hand creams, at the moment I am use a dove hand balm during the day and a dove night hand cream at night.

Just get one that says for hands and nails.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I use loads of different hand creams, at the moment I am use a dove hand balm during the day and a dove night hand cream at night.

Just get one that says for hands and nails.

Ok thanks!