Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Just installed XP again...

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
As I installed a new HSF to the P4 rig today, I took out the two HDD's in it to put in new pc when it arrives to save the effort. I noticed how much I have to do to set it up has gone down so much with newer windows... all I have to do is change a few things and install a couple of bits once it has done. In days gone I would have had to do a mountain of work.

How long before I don't have to do anything do you think? Before computers just seem to "know" what I want, how I want it to run? My custom settings are known as soon as it has installed... it could be done by logging into an online internet account once windows installs, and it downloads your settings and info?

How cool would that be? :D

Edit: BTW, P4 Willamette 2.0ghz @ 2.18... apparently it shouldn't go over 2.15 witohut dieing according to some people online... well... EAT THAT! :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Half the fun is playing and messing with settings.... If you can't deal with it then don't do it.

Also I hope you put some thermal paste (artic silver 5 prefferably) between the CPU and HSF! Make sure those temps are low! 30-40 or lower.... anything over 50 isn't good.

Also why are you even overclocking that CPU? You are going to see hardly any improvement with 180mhz increase!

I think I read you are getting a 7800GT awhile back....well don't because you will have some major bottleneck with that CPU.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nash wrote:
    Half the fun is playing and messing with settings.... If you can't deal with it then don't do it.

Well, it is fun. But I just think that half the OBVIOUS stuff is a pain in the arse. Or some of the stuff it just isn't easy to change. Setting it up to run sweet as a nut though is always satisfying.
    Nash wrote:
    Also I hope you put some thermal paste (artic silver 5 prefferably) between the CPU and HSF! Make sure those temps are low! 30-40 or lower.... anything over 50 isn't good.

Well, duh :p If I hadn't put any paste on, it'd have turned itself off. Or I could be like that old picutre on the net, where some arse put the paste between the socket and processor. :eek2:
    Nash wrote:
    Also why are you even overclocking that CPU? You are going to see hardly any improvement with 180mhz increase!

I am steadily overclcoknig each time I restart, seeing how far it will push.
    Nash wrote:
    I think I read you are getting a 7800GT awhile back....well don't because you will have some major bottleneck with that CPU.

I am getting a whole new PC with the 7800gt :p Plus, since when did socket 478 come with PCIe? (Although my mate wants a mobo that does that - his PC isn't that old, he has a 2.66, but doesn't want to waste money on an AGP card. So he has to buy a wohle new rig.)
    7800GT for AGP soon ;)

It wouldn't switch off if you didn't apply thermal paste.. just run hot, maybe dangerously.
    Nash wrote:
    7800GT for AGP soon ;)

Hahaha. I know you can get 6800's for AGP now. Hehe...
    Nash wrote:
    It wouldn't switch off if you didn't apply thermal paste.. just run hot, maybe dangerously.

It is set to switch itself off it gets above 75 degrees C, as I leave it alone for long periods on. So I don't want to come home and find it fried because the fan died or something daft.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Hahaha. I know you can get 6800's for AGP now. Hehe...

Yeh the 6800's have been around for awhile... and the 7800gt for agp isn't a joke :D

Anyway off to bed!
    Nash wrote:
    Yeh the 6800's have been around for awhile... and the 7800gt for agp isn't a joke :D

Anyway off to bed!

Yes, bed. Good idea. 7800gt for AGP.. really? Kindof, wasted... hmm. I mean, who will actually buy one? And why?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes, bed. Good idea. 7800gt for AGP.. really? Kindof, wasted... hmm. I mean, who will actually buy one? And why?

Well, people like me for a start, who specifically bought a socket 939 chipset motherboard for expandibility and then suddenly found the upgrade market disappear when everyone decided to stop making top end cards for AGP.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Edit: BTW, P4 Willamette 2.0ghz @ 2.18... apparently it shouldn't go over 2.15 witohut dieing according to some people online... well... EAT THAT! :p

hehe careful with that :p
    Mist wrote:
    Well, people like me for a start, who specifically bought a socket 939 chipset motherboard for expandibility and then suddenly found the upgrade market disappear when everyone decided to stop making top end cards for AGP.

I agree, the majority of people still own an AGP board and don't want to unneccesarily upgrade in the near future. I own a DFI socket 754 board which is AGP, and I would consider buying a 7800 as a last card for this board. But I can't see them going any further after this. ATI might... who knows..?

lol Replicant, seen that one before... now that's not what you want to do at home!
    How much is it going to cost to upgrade to a PCI-E based motherboard, including the new processors and stuff? They're already developing the next stage which, surprise surprise, isnt compatible with PCI-E motherboards. Multiple processor boards are coming out now. Which I will never need as I only do one thing at a time.
    But... AGP would pretty much kill the 7800. It'd be like putting a V8 in metro witohut upgrading the gearbox... the engine wouldn't like it at all.

Upgrading with new processor? Cost me about £200 for a SLI Gigabyte Board with a 3200 Athlon! It arrived today (excitement woo woo woo) except hte 7800gt comes tomorow because of Ebuyer going outof stock WHILE my order was ALREADY place. (Bastards.) Oh well. Most coolness, you get pictures once it's finished. So proud. :D
    Look forward to that Gerbil :) I wish I had the money to spend!
    GOD.

Ebuyer are so gay.

Right. So apprently I am refunded for the 7800gt I ordered, when there were 50 IN STOCK, but they apprently went OUT OF STOCK between then and shipping. So I was apparently REFUNDED. So I order another 7800gt. OH, but NO, there isn't enough money in my account. SO WHERE THE FUCK IS IT? And more to the point, am I going to get a fucking card?

Fucking Farce. What good is a PC with no fucknig display output. Either way. I want them to resolve this.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    GOD.

Ebuyer are so gay.

Right. So apprently I am refunded for the 7800gt I ordered, when there were 50 IN STOCK, but they apprently went OUT OF STOCK between then and shipping. So I was apparently REFUNDED. So I order another 7800gt. OH, but NO, there isn't enough money in my account. SO WHERE THE FUCK IS IT? And more to the point, am I going to get a fucking card?

Fucking Farce. What good is a PC with no fucknig display output. Either way. I want them to resolve this.

Phone them up, bitch a bit, and they might give you free delivery or something.

If you dont ask you dont get :)
    Multiple processor boards are coming out now. Which I will never need as I only do one thing at a time.

Multiple processor boards have been available for a good while now - they do have their benefits, though for most general use a single processor based system is pretty much as good.

Newer technologies are rarely compatible with existing technology - if they were, people would upgrade less and less. If people aren't buying new products, companies go bust. :)
    Multiple processor boards have been available for a good while now - they do have their benefits, though for most general use a single processor based system is pretty much as good.

Newer technologies are rarely compatible with existing technology - if they were, people would upgrade less and less. If people aren't buying new products, companies go bust. :)

Aye, but they're being seen as the way forward now, rather than a niche in the market. Rather than faster clock speeds, we have dual core processors and new duel processor motherboads. Same with GPUs, rather than having faster ones we're just linking them up now.

I think AGP did pretty well, I did upgrade several times, what I hate is not knowing which technology to invest in because if you want to upgrade one bit you have to upgrade the whole system. Defeats the point of having a PC imo.
    Aye, we're running out of mhz at the moment. The rate of increase has already started to slow, and will drop off hugely - if not go backwards. Intel have finally figured that it isn't about clock rates, it's what happens inside the processor for a given amount of time. Hence, to get more work done in a given amount of time, rather than going faster we have to have processors that can just do more - the simplest way to do this is to double up on brains, in much the same way as SLI is used on video cards.

AGP has been nice - it has lasted a long time. As has USB... it's always naff when new technology comes out; you never know which one to invest in. USB pretty much killed off firewire, PCI killed off VLB, etc, etc. One will succeed, one will fail. Get the winner and you're laughing, get the wrong one and you're somewhat limited.

We're going to see it with the new DVD formats too :).
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But... AGP would pretty much kill the 7800. It'd be like putting a V8 in metro witohut upgrading the gearbox... the engine wouldn't like it at all.

Upgrading with new processor? Cost me about £200 for a SLI Gigabyte Board with a 3200 Athlon! It arrived today (excitement woo woo woo) except hte 7800gt comes tomorow because of Ebuyer going outof stock WHILE my order was ALREADY place. (Bastards.) Oh well. Most coolness, you get pictures once it's finished. So proud. :D

It would work great, albeit slightly slower than a PCI-E version.

You are going to bottleneck that 7800GT big time with that athlon 3200, it stock speed is 1.8GHZ, so in theory the max you will get by overclocking is 2.4GHZ at a push. I can get that with my AMD 64 3000 (stock 2.GHZ) so you might get less. Idealy you need awesome processing power for the best cards... 2.6GHZ+

Use overclocker.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk
    edit
    Nash wrote:
    It would work great, albeit slightly slower than a PCI-E version.

You are going to bottleneck that 7800GT big time with that athlon 3200, it stock speed is 1.8GHZ, so in theory the max you will get by overclocking is 2.4GHZ at a push. I can get that with my AMD 64 3000 (stock 2.GHZ) so you might get less. Idealy you need awesome processing power for the best cards... 2.6GHZ+

Use overclocker.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk

The 3200 runs at 2ghz. The 3000 runs at 1.8. AMD are generally better for these problems anyway, you can't fuck em up easy.

Also, should be fine according to PCGamer... oh well... would you say two 6800gt's would be better?
    If you get one 7800, then you can buy another one at a later date. I think performance wise (i read this somewher but i cant remember so im going to be vague) they'll be fairly similar.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The 3200 runs at 2ghz. The 3000 runs at 1.8. AMD are generally better for these problems anyway, you can't fuck em up easy.

Also, should be fine according to PCGamer... oh well... would you say two 6800gt's would be better?

Yeh you're right, my socket 754 CPU is a 3000 but it's stock speed is 2ghz. Different than 939's.
    Nash wrote:
    Yeh you're right, my socket 754 CPU is a 3000 but it's stock speed is 2ghz. Different than 939's.

Fair enough. Im on 939... so I have a 3200 at 2ghz, when I build it. When I get a gfx card... goddamn Ebuyer.