Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats more important to you - Sex or Love?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    aye.

I think people should see a great film called "Chasing Amy", written and directed by Kevin Smith, starring Ben Affleck and Jason Lee. Its a funny and beautiful film that shows how sex can ruin a relationship where people are perfect for each other.

I'll be honest. I like sex, I want sex, sex also interests me but I don't think it can beat love and I don't think its as important as love, and I'd rather have true love then all the sex in the world.
  • Options
    Love. no question
    I don't think i'd ever have sex if i wasnt in love with the person.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Its a funny and beautiful film that shows how sex can ruin a relationship where people are perfect for each other.
    And then see Tron, a visually stunning film that shows how computers can kidnap you with laser beams....
    and I'd rather have true love then all the sex in the world.
    I'd rather have both.

But a choice between the two. Tricky. I'd happily give up wanting sex in return for guaranteed mutual love, if either were possible, but neither is. I don't think I would give up the capacity to love in exchange for guaranteed sex. Does this suggest I value love over sex?

If I were in a closed relationship, I would have ended it in the last three months so I was free to have sex. This would have been incredibly painful - I was considering suicide as the break-up method. (Fortunately, I realised that being in an open realtionship meant I could have sex with other people too). So you might argue that I consider sex to be more important than love.

On the other hand I expect I would give up having sex for love - even expecting to keep to it, despite now knowing I couldn't. I'm sure you'll consider this logic crazy, but love defies logic
  • Options
    I really think you talk round in circles frankly and the film comment was not needed. Obviously you didn't read the mod's messag eon this thread. Why do people inist on turning a serious subject into something to have a go at someone for? its pathetic.

Love for me over sex.

more opinions please.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    While I agree the film comment wasn't needed - at the same time I don't think telling Carriage Return that he talks round in circles is particularly helpful either. If anything his comments emphasise how complex this issue really is for some people. I'm not taking sides - I also admire your ability to be so clear with your opinion on this.

So yes more comments would be fab - especially if it means you two stop provoking each other in a negative way :p
  • Options
    love
  • Options
    Sex thus far. I've seen how bad relationships can be and the only good I have observed from it is sure-fire sex.

Of course I haven't experienced either, so my opinion is purely based on observation. That and I'm not a very mawkish person.
  • Options
    Love is by far the best as without it, the sex becomes rubbish as well.
  • Options
    Love is by far the best as without it, the sex becomes rubbish as well.

Agreed...as without sex, you should also still have love. Love is the best feeling in the world. don't get me wrong, sex is pretty damn amazing as well...but so much better when love is involved :yes:
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    aye.

I think people should see a great film called "Chasing Amy", written and directed by Kevin Smith, starring Ben Affleck and Jason Lee. Its a funny and beautiful film that shows how sex can ruin a relationship where people are perfect for each other.

I'll be honest. I like sex, I want sex, sex also interests me but I don't think it can beat love and I don't think its as important as love, and I'd rather have true love then all the sex in the world.

You're talking sense although i don't like Chasing Amy. Pretty bleak film from what i remember...never thought Kevin Smith's attempt at the serious was as insightful as he seems to think.

I think love can exist in a sexual sense, where you're drawn to someone instinctively just by their looks and think they can do no wrong as a result, which is different from love in an emotional, personal sense which is more "virtuous".

Love and lust are two sides of the same coin - combine both and you're onto a winner.
  • Options
    I think its a beautiful film, although it doesn't have the happy ending that one would expect, which I admire, even though I do like a happy ending. But I repsect you ropinion on it, least someone else has seen it!

true on th elove sex thing. There are also those relationships that are pure sex, I mean they couples hate each other and can't do normal things but have crazy hard compatible sex. They are interesting as they can bring great pleasure but great pain as well.

I'd love to find a girl I truely love and who truely loves me, and together have great sex lol.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    While I agree the film comment wasn't needed
    I'm sorry, I find it ridiculous to refer to a work of fiction created for entertainment purposes (and gernerally conformant to american moral standards) in order to demonstrate a principle.

However, in the interest of being constructive; for those that think hollywood is a good source of information, I recommend "Kinsey (Lets talk about sex)" which shows how different people can react to sex outside of the loving relationship - and also restates the observation "in general, when it comes to sex, people believe what they do is normal; and everyone else does, or should do the same"
  • Options
    sex is pretty damn amazing as well...but so much better when love is involved :yes:
    Sex with strangers, sex with friends and sex with one's love(s?) are different; but better? it's like comparing cake to ice cream to strawberries - they're all sweet but which is better can depend on what mood you're in (and what quality each of the offers were - I'd go for strawberries over Mr Whippy, but Ben & Jerries dough balls would probably win out)
  • Options
    if you think that film was made to appeal to hollywood masses and give them cozy warm feelings of love and was an utter piece of fiction then you know nothing of the film or Mr Smith. I suggest you find out more on both before commentating on that again.

so what are you actually saying? That love doesn't matter if you can get great sex somewhere else?

Take this example. You are with somone you love and have been with for a long time maybe. You are great together and the sex is good, but you get the chance to have sex with someone else, fufgil a fantasy, some1 who will be wilder then your girl would ever be, some1 famous maybe.

do you cheat on them and have the great sex or stay true to your love.

what wins, sex or love?
  • Options
    love definatley
  • Options
    Am I still allowed one purrrson sex? If so, I pick love.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    yeah I'd agree its very selfish.

One example of love I heard is something that happened to Jonathan Ross. You may say its not true but I reckon it is. Anyway, he interviewd this female celebrity he had fnacied for ages, really hot and that. After the interview, she invited him to her hotel room for obviously sex. He told his wife this and she said maybe he should go since its a fmaous perosn he fancied for ages, one off opportunity. And he said no and didn't do it, he didn't want to do it. He had permission from his wife to have sex with his celevrity crush and he didn't do it. Thats impressive.
    I remember that. It wasnt his celebrity crush, It was Liza Minelli, and he asked his wife and she said "well it IS liza minelli, maybe you should, but he didnt - then again, have you seen Liza Minelli lately :shocking:

my answer would definitely be Love, but true love without making love would be painful, although id still rather have true love without sex, than a lifetime of sex without ever loving someone.
  • Options
    aw, well put- gets my vote for post of the week. Well, it will do when that thread starts.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    do you cheat on them
    no
    and have the great sex
    yes
    or stay true to your love.
    yes
    what wins, sex or love?
    It's a win-win situatuion.
    if you think that film was made to appeal to hollywood masses and give them cozy warm feelings of love and was an utter piece of fiction then you know nothing of the film
    imdb wrote:
    The single GREATEST romantic comedy ever made.
    I indeed know nothing of the film, but you'd have to be pretty naive to see a film and say "life's like that"
    so what are you actually saying? That love doesn't matter if you can get great sex somewhere else?
    If you ever thought I was saying love didn't matter to me you are clearly a moron. As you either haven't bothered to read what I've written, or failed to understand it, I see little point in continuing a dialog with you.
  • Options
    but true love without making love would be painful, although id still rather have true love without sex, than a lifetime of sex without ever loving someone.
    Both sound like terribly cruel punishments. But perhaps not nowing what you were issing would help
    My upbringing tells me it is more socially acceptable to choose the former, but I know 4 years without sex is about all I can take, so I'll go with the latter
  • Options
    can you imagne being in love with someone you couldnt have sex with though?
    ummm... yea.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    love...everytime!
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    People don't suddenly choose to have an affair because they can - they feel the need for it, and that need is outwith their control.

Now that's bollocks, you can't accidentally have an affair. You have to make a conscious decision to do it, even if that decision is influenced by drink or drugs. No person is ruled by their cock or fanny alone.

When people say they "can't help it", generally it means they are either terrified of commitment, or their relationship is going through a bad spell. But they can help it, they simply choose not to.

People can, on the other hand, separate love from sex. As I've said, people cheat, and they can't all be heartless bastards. Generally people cheat when they either are terrified of commitment, the relationship is having a bad patch, or they're having a mid-life crisis and they want to see if they've still got it. Certainly in the latter category you can love your partner whilst still sleeping with a person 20 years their junior.

It simply isn't as cut and dried as saying that if you cheat you hate your partner. People are more complex than that. You can help cheating, and it is always unforgivable, but you can love someone and still sleep with their sister or friend.

And no, you cannot be lovers and not have sex. Sex is one of the most important parts of a relationship. A lack of sex for no reason can, and does, kill a lot of relationships. If your partner gets paralysed from the neck down that is different, but a lot of people would still need to get sex elsewhere. A good example is when Nigella Lawson's husband died of cancer- whilst he was dying, he allowed her to go and have sex with other people because she couldn't have sex with him. A shame she chose a married man, but hey ho.
  • Options
    Carriage return I do not get what you say. I made a civlised, simple, easy to read post giving you a direct question and you reply with insults and points that don't make sense.

You claim you choose love bu tthen in line sfurther down your saying you couldn't go 4 year swithout sex, and saying you would choose to cheta an dmake out its some win-win situation.

Its a simple question. Would you cheat on some one you love? I think from your answers you would. If that is not the case then please say so.

I don't think film is real life but conisdering Kevin Smith worte the film based on his own experiences and having THAT conversation and people he knows having THAT conversation (see the film an dyou will know what that conversation is) then I do give it a lot of credit.

oh rainbow brite- I didn't know it wa sLiza Menilli"!!! wow, I wouldn't have gone with her either. but thats a personal thing, not attracted to her at all.

I'm glad people here are choosing love, it gives some hope.
  • Options
    walkindude: its pretty obvious that carriage return is in a an open relationship with someone he loves. he is not cheating on his partner because they have made an agreement to be able to have sex with other people as long as they follow certain rules such as using a condom.

(carriage correct me if im wrong :/)

i think this question is balls tbh.
  • Options
    To answer your naive, black and white question - at your stage of life I would have said "I'd choose Love".

There, isn't life cosy.

Walkindude wrote:
    Carriage return I do not get what you say.
    That is becoming pretty obvious...
    I made a civlised, simple, easy to read post giving you a direct question and you reply with insults
    I don't consider your phrasing civilised, and I see no reason to extend you any civility either. The answer to your question "both, or neither" was perfectly predictable from my earlier discourse.
    and points that don't make sense.
    to you
    You claim you choose love
    read more carefully: I said given the choice, I would choose love, discarding wanting to have sex.
    but then in lines further down you're saying you couldn't go 4 years without sex
    exactly - it isn't possible to choose to not want to have sex.
    What was most galling was realising my increasing frustration had caused a degree of unhappiness to the one I love.
    and saying you would choose to cheat
    read more carefully: I said I wouldn't cheat (would you cheat? no), but that I would have sex with my partners consent.
    and make out its some win-win situation.
    which it is
    Its a simple question. Would you cheat on some one you love? I think from your answers you would. If that is not the case then please say so.
    I would not - and it is just this insulting approach you have maintained that has infuriated me.. I would end the relationship before cheating - (or shamefully just after cheating. - I hope the former). I believe trust is the most important thing in a relationship.
    I will also remind you I'm more virtuous in my love than you are in yours - you have admitted you would look, I have said in a monogamous relationship I would not.
    I don't think film is real life but conisdering Kevin Smith worte the film based on his own experiences
    Based on. Fictionalised. Irrelevant.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    (carriage correct me if im wrong :/)

i think this question is balls tbh.
    Oh, you have shamed me.

A calm and clear response, instead of a splurge of rage.

How can I learn to be as cool as you?

ETA: but having spent 2 hours fuming while writing it, I'm not gonna undo the theraputic benefits by deleting it. :p
  • Options
    I think love is inseparable from sex but not vice versa. You don't have to be in love to have great sex but sex is a part of love.

I don't see anything wrong with open relationships if both parties are willing ... one man's definition of love and loving relationships will not be the same as anothers.

I couldn't choose to give up love or sex. A month without sex feels like an eternity to me, let alone a life time. And while I like one night stands/having sex with different girls I can give that up for one girl.
  • Options
    Oh, you have shamed me.

A calm and clear response, instead of a splurge of rage.

How can I learn to be as cool as you?

ETA: but having spent 2 hours fuming while writing it, I'm not gonna undo the theraputic benefits by deleting it. :p
    lol, the rage and frustration is understandable ;)
  • Options
    Personally myself I dont agree with what Felix has just said above. Me and my boyfriend lasted a good few months perfectly happy until sex came into it and tbh sex has caused more problems for us.

Loves much more important to me and I could easily go without sex myself. As long as I have that feeling of love then who needs sex? Its only a physical action. Loves a feeling.

Thats my views anyway.

It depends on how long you've been with someone. Say 5 years with someone and 3/4 years with no sex or only sex has been had 2/3 times in that time then your gonna get bored and look else where.