Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Keyboard help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

A while ago, my computer went barmy, so my dad took it to his mate who's quite good with computers to wipe it all and start again. He did so, but when it came back, for some reason, it wasn't recognising my keyboard properly. The keyboard worked, but it was displaying different characters, such as if I pressed SHIFT + 2 it would display @ instead of ", and vice versa.
I remembered from my nans PC (she lives in Spain) that Spanish computers are set by default to this, and their keyboard has all the special characters and stuff that are used in their language, so I figured the computer had been set to a European setting as opposed to a U.K one.

The computer has since been to an actual PC repair shop but they hadn't noiced/changed this problem, just fixed what was making it break down. I also have a new keyboard (due to my sister spilling lemonade on mine.... :rolleyes: ) but I've just put everything together and the problems still happening. Is there any way of altering this setting as it's almost impossible to do my work on!!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's probably set to American keyboard layout.

Go to control panel, Regional and language settings. click the Languages tab then the Details button.

Add the keyboard "English (United Kingdom) and remove English United States, also go into Language bar and make sure "Show the language bar on the desktop" is unchecked.

The mappings should now be correct, You wont need to restart (Only to remove the US mappings)
    You. Are an absolute god. I'd tried everything I could think of for the last 6 months trying to change that, thankyouuuuu! :)
    Anytime :)
    LOL!! Funny how many people put up with stuff that is so simple to change ;).
    Simple, but only when you know how! I'm useless with these bloody things, and trust me, I haven't just put up with it at all... I've got so angry with it that I've saved whatever I'm doing, and stormed around to my boyfriends (even when he's not been there)