Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

College Scholarship resources

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know I'm just like every other student out there but I am struggling to pay these tuitions along with my other bills BADLY. I was hoping some of the knowledgable posters on here can post any information on Scholarships that they have. My counselors at school are pretty useless......

In terms of the scholarships, I'd say limit them to the ones geared toward the "everyman" student. I am no genius, heheheh.

Hopefully I am not the only one who can benefit from this thread. I know that I am not the only one dreading these building student loans and every dollar I can save counts.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe your college has a hardship fund? Otherwise, there are charity that help to support students- though they usually have pretty tight guidlines about who they can support. Your student advice centre can point you in the right direction, or check out your institution's website. Try a job?

Good luck
    Thanks for the responses. Outside perspectives are really helping me, because out of everyone in my family I am the only one who went/is going to college. They are of no help. I'm thinking if I can get a few of these 1000 dollar amount scholarships, they can really but a dent in the debt that I'll end up having.

www.progressingreward.com - allready applied
    www.wiredscholar.com - allready applied
    www.thesalliemaefund.org
    www.fastweb.com
    www.scholarships.com
    www.srnexpress.com
    www.studentaid.ed.gov

This seems like a start!
    Find a connexions branch near you, it's the government nationwide youth's jobcentre/counselling service i think. They have a computer program called Funderfinder that you put loads of details in, including parents jobs etc cos there are funds that you can get money from cos your father was a builder or certain trade, and then apply from those addresses too!
    I know I'm just like every other student out there but I am struggling to pay these tuitions along with my other bills BADLY. I was hoping some of the knowledgable posters on here can post any information on Scholarships that they have. My counselors at school are pretty useless......

In terms of the scholarships, I'd say limit them to the ones geared toward the "everyman" student. I am no genius, heheheh.

Hopefully I am not the only one who can benefit from this thread. I know that I am not the only one dreading these building student loans and every dollar I can save counts.

are you in the UK / US?
    most scholaships you can get from universities in the UK are of very little money... most are just a few hundred quid <£500 / yr. - talk to your university as they would be the best to advise you.
    also, there are hardship funds avaliable at modt universities which are avaliable to most full time students who are struggling financially.
    best bet is a part time job tbh... it will take a lot of the financial strain out of your studies... you just need good time management skills. :)
    otter wrote:
    are you in the UK / US?
    most scholaships you can get from universities in the UK are of very little money... most are just a few hundred quid <£500 / yr. - talk to your university as they would be the best to advise you.
    also, there are hardship funds avaliable at modt universities which are avaliable to most full time students who are struggling financially.
    best bet is a part time job tbh... it will take a lot of the financial strain out of your studies... you just need good time management skills. :)

Yep, the part-time job is a must.... although I need to really work on my time management. Right now I am too used to having free time but I know it is a fading reality.