Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Beds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving in with my boyfriend soon and we need a bed. Can anyone suggest somewhere we can get a decent comfy bed that doesn't cost loads.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd assume Ikea would be a good bet if theres one local.
    I've only just realised that thats a guy at a computer on your av, before I thought it was just a guy and his dinosaur!! :D
    Renzo wrote:
    I'd assume Ikea would be a good bet if theres one local.
    :thumb: but you may have to buy your sheets there as well - they aren't all UK bed sizes (which is a good thing if you're tall)
    I've only just realised that thats a guy at a computer on your av, before I thought it was just a guy and his dinosaur!! :D

I seriously fail to see how the hell that can look like a guy with a dinosaur...
    I seriously fail to see how the hell that can look like a guy with a dinosaur...

I thought it was a dinosaur... :o
    The best advice I can give you is shop around. At this time of year a lot of places will probably still have sales on. Don't know where you live, but we got ours at Dunelm Mill vastly reduced in a sale and it was extremely cheap for a kingsize bed with matress.

ETA: Before someone points it out yes I just looked, I know it's Manchester.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Argos do some good beds too :yes:
    We got our bed at Benson Beds in Debenhams. They had the sale on and we saved quite a bit on the original price. Yum.
    ikea has got 20% off bedframes at the moment i believe (at least thats what the note said that they pushed through our letterbox the other week)
    I got a double bed plus matress for £99 from argos about 3-4 years ago. Going to buy a new one soon though cos the other day i just lent on the very edge of the bed with my knee (how heavy must i be!) whilst play fighting with my boyfriend (ahem!) and we heard a crack. I broke one of the slats! Not a tragedy but a good excuse to get a new one! I'm going to get mine from Ikea, not just cos i love that place, but also cos they have 20% bedframes at the mo :D

So yes, the moral of my story is watch where you put your knee...and go to Ikea :thumb:
    So yes, the moral of my story is watch where you put your knee...and go to Ikea :thumb:

:yes:
    i was miffed cos mum was going to get me a new bed and got a nasty second hand one with permenent marker writing on it and broken slats. but at the end of the day a bed is a bed!
    Argos are fairly cheap, but don't go with their standard mattrass's because they are rubbish and after a few months you can feel every spring in your back.
    do not, i repeat, do not, buy a bed with ametal frame! we've had 4 so far+they've all broke, and the last 2 were very expensive!!!
    argos's own devans are fine!
    I got my bed from a local store for only £300 (double + mattress), so shop around, and ask other people where they would recommend locally
    i would recommend ikea, too. you will not get the same decent quality elsewhere for anywhere near that price. to solve the wrong sized bedding issue, buy your duvet elsewhere (tesco etc have cheap ones) so you can use normal sized duvet covers, then you can either use a regular flat sheet, or stock up on a few ikea fitted ones for minimal hassle.

argos beds are a false economy. the quality is shonky as hell. a decent quality bed should last you 10 years. their's won't. it's worth spending as much as you can afford. it will work out cheaper.

if you want to buy a branded bed set, try them out in a bed shop, note the name and brand, then order from the internet. you will save money. but don't order from bedworld.net or i'll be forced to shoot you in the face.

and if you want any bed information i know pretty much everything there is to know about them.
    Often you see second hand beds advertised so if you're not too fussy and are after something cheap it might be worth looking. Personally I'd buy a new mattress though. Also be warned that the matresses that come on beds are often not great quality and you are better off replacing the matress with a higher quality one to save your backs.