Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Abroad first time - ideas most appreciated

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Never been abroad and will go this year with my girlfriend.
Really somewhere of beauty, culture, scenery, beaches, and nice weather.

Any recommendations most appreciated, I am unsure where to start...

Any thoughts on Sardinia ?

Sorrento & Sicily have also been recommended highly.

Thankyou
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sardinia is supposed to be lovely, but can be on the costly side, especially getting there.

I went to Malta earlier in the year, thats worth a visit, cheaper than Italy and got culture by the bucket load, not many beaches though, clean sea however.
  • Options
    I went abroad for the first time last summer an booked last min with my other half and ended up in a really nice town in turkey, with lovely beaches, beautiful mountains around an lots to do, an it wasnt that busy. I've always fancied Sardinia though but havent been able to afford it yet.
  • Options
    I've only been to Sorrento of the three, and it's a lovely place (though not ideal if you're after a "beach holiday") although it too can be a bit expensive if you aren't careful. However it's a good base for cultural/day trips, I went to Pompeii when I was there and also on a boat trip to Capri which was stunning (although it made me feel very, very poor). We also drove along the Amalfi Coast and went to Positano...it's a cliche but it's worth a visit.

Sicily and Sardinia are supposedly both wonderful places, although I'd have thought expensive too. I know my cousins spent a month in Sardinia two summers ago, hostelling and camping which didn't work out too expensively.

I know it's not all that exotic, and some of them are like hell on earth nowadays, but I'd recommend a Greek Island for a first holiday abroad. If you're after a bit of everything - culture, nightlife, beaches then you couldn't go far wrong. Anywhere you go in Greece really will have culture though, as they have such an anicent heritage...but Crete is great (IF you choose your base resort wisely). I also really, really liked Kalymnos...it's gorgeous and sunny and there's sponge-diving. What more can you ask for!? :D
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have you had a look at TheSite's travel top ten?

Happy holiday hunting :)
  • Options
    I took my mum to Nerja in Spain for Christmas 2 years ago.
    It was very quiet but there was plenty to do and the hotel we stayed in, Club Nerja, had packages with trips to Gibraltar, treks around the mountains etc. We went on a jeep ride/trek and had a barbeque at 15,000 ft on December 18th. It was gorgous!
    There's the cueva de nerja aswell...amazing caves! I've never seen anything like it.
    The hotel was clean, the staff were really friendly and it wasn't ridiculously expensive either.
    Weather was nice, beaches were 5-10 mins walk away, town was gorgous, resturants were good (and bloody cheap!)
    I highly recommend it to anyone that asks! :thumb:

ETA: link for website with the hotel... http://www.holidayhotels.com/hotel.php?HID=20030919113813506010
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Have you had a look at TheSite's travel top ten?

Well I guess it´s all subjective. I don´t agreee with any of that but hey ho.
  • Options
    I spent my honeymoon in Rome and it was everything they say. It had beautiful scenery, architecture and, as they say, it's a city of love. :)