Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What should I do when I leave school?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, as I'm from the UK, I obviously leave school at 16 and I'm suck at what to do afterwards and leaving is coming pretty close. Currently, I'm not in school but going to a board school in 2 months and leave there at 16.

So, really, my options are:

1). Do A levels - if I do well with these, this will gear me up to get on a degree course the easy way (it's possible without A levels).

2). I have the option to do the equivilent of A levels in Calgary, Canada (a High School deploma which is regarded the equavilent of A levels in the UK) - if I took this option I'd have somewhat of a "new start" in a new place (I'm known by a lot of people round here, and not in the nicest way :P). I'd leave when I'm 18, same as A levels so it would be 2 years, homestay in Calgary, it would probably be pretty fun.

3). Join the army - if I joined the army I'd go in slelecting a trade so I'd come out with a lot of traning and I'd know a trade pretty well.

I may only be 14 now, but it's only just dawned on me how fast this shit is coming around.

What would you choose?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if i was 14 now, i'd drop out of business studes et al at GCSE and learn a hobby by myself, like fixing computer networks etc etc far more useful in the longrun - i'd also of not bothered with the girls then and focus on things for myself like learning an instrument or something...

in terms of leaving school, i wouldn't choose the army unless you're certain, the navy or RAF would be a better bet

personally id go to 6th form college like i did, i didnt have to be there 9-4, and i was treated like an adult and was made responsible for my education to a larger extent

its your choice anyway :)
    Well, as I'm from the UK, I obviously leave school at 16 and I'm suck at what to do afterwards and leaving is coming pretty close. Currently, I'm not in school but going to a board school in 2 months and leave there at 16.

1). Do A levels - if I do well with these, this will gear me up to get on a degree course the easy way (it's possible without A levels).

2). I have the option to do the equivilent of A levels in Calgary, Canada (a High School deploma which is regarded the equavilent of A levels in the UK) - if I took this option I'd have somewhat of a "new start" in a new place (I'm known by a lot of people round here, and not in the nicest way :P). I'd leave when I'm 18, same as A levels so it would be 2 years, homestay in Calgary, it would probably be pretty fun.

3). Join the army - if I joined the army I'd go in slelecting a trade so I'd come out with a lot of traning and I'd know a trade pretty well.

I may only be 14 now, but it's only just dawned on me how fast this shit is coming around.

What would you choose?

Have you spoken to your careers advisor? My personal opinion that only do A'levels if you're going to University, otherwise your prob better to leave at 16 and pick up a skill.
    i'd choose canada if i had the option, sounds pretty awesome, having fun and doing the same as A levels at the same time.

also, i saw your thread about not having a gf, going to canada will give you a chance to meet some girls and it'll be easier in canada because people are generaly more open.
    God yeah, get yourself over to Canada if you can! Calgary is, by all accounts, a great place and we'd all have loved that kind of 'fresh start' opportunity when we finished school.

Failing that, I'd say do your A-Levels, but as NQA said it would be well worth speaking to a Careers Advisor.
    NQA wrote:
    Have you spoken to your careers advisor? My personal opinion that only do A'levels if you're going to University, otherwise your prob better to leave at 16 and pick up a skill.

Yeah, I think I do intend to go to university actually. I'm currently not in school (will be back in, in 2 months), but I spoke to the careers advisor in my old school and his emphasis was on if you're academic and are obviously going to get good GCSE results, do your A levels and go to university, if you're not overly academic, choose a trade like plumbing.
    Do something that will keep your options open. Chances are as you get older you will change your mind which is why half decent GCSEs and A-Levels are really useful.
    NQA wrote:
    only do A'levels if you're going to Universityl.

But aren't there some jobs that require A Levels but not a degree?
    If you don't go for a-levels you could see if you could get an apprenticeship doing something. It's easy enough to get into and they'll put you through college/university if you need it. My brother left school at 16 and was doing a plumbing apprenticeship. He had to stop for personal reasons but they were putting him through college and he got to do hands on work from the start.

A-levels and university's the way to go though, imo. Keep your options open then you can choose later on or fall back on your qualifications and start again.
    But aren't there some jobs that require A Levels but not a degree?
    Tbh, A-Levels are an academic qualification and are of limited use for anything other than academic progression (e.g. university, higher education college).

There are some jobs that require post-16 qualifications (but not a degree) but these are generally vocational qualifications such as GNVQs and BTECs etc.
    if i was 14 now, i'd drop out of business studes et al at GCSE and learn a hobby by myself, like fixing computer networks etc etc far more useful in the longrun - i'd also of not bothered with the girls then and focus on things for myself like learning an instrument or something...
    But to progress academically you need the GCSEs. You don't need to know what you learn but you do need the bits of paper with the grades on. You wouldn't be at university now if you had done the above.

Skills are useful but these days employers seem to want the qualifications too to prove what you claim you are good at. Just read NeoNero's thread.
    No, you need english maths and science, but business studies?
    My english and science were both double award, which meant with maths, i had the 5 GCSE's needed, and so technically (If the school had have allowed it) wouldn't have had to do French, electronics, business and all that other rubbish.

I'd say A-Levels at a sixth form college. Not sixth form. Like someone said, you're not there 9-4, it's way more relaxed and self guided, so you should only really go there to do courses you know you want to do.
    So, according to what you've said, having A levels means about just as much to an employer as having GCSEs?
    Of course A-Levels are better to have, but they're really a path onto another route, because A-Levels won't really get you into any jobs that GCSE's won't. (though you may be favoured over an applicant with only GCSE's).

It's sort of a bit difficult to explain, but basically after GCSE's you can do an apprenticeship in plumbing or whatever, but after A-Levels you could also do plumbing, but you'd have more options to go onto further courses.

Neither are going to get you that far past the supermarket by themselves unless you take up an apprenticeship,uni, or have additional skills. (like someone said, comouter networking or whatever)

Edit: Don't take this as that you don't need A-Levels because they're not worth that much more than GCSE's to employers though. They are.

What would you choose?

You're more mature than i was at 14, having a spectrum of definite ideas for your future is something even to this day i lack.

I'd suggest definitely doing your A-levels - whether abroad or in the UK. Don't know your exact situation with the locals exactly but i can empathise ;)

If you join the army, do University first then go to Sandhurt and become an officer. Wouldn't suggest the army to anyone but a few of my friends are either in the forces or studying with the intention of joining, some people are naturally suited to it.
    No, you need english maths and science, but business studies?
    My english and science were both double award, which meant with maths, i had the 5 GCSE's needed, and so technically (If the school had have allowed it) wouldn't have had to do French, electronics, business and all that other rubbish.

I'd say A-Levels at a sixth form college. Not sixth form. Like someone said, you're not there 9-4, it's way more relaxed and self guided, so you should only really go there to do courses you know you want to do.
    But if you want to go to university but only have 5 GCSEs then questions will be asked.