Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Iran...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who thinks we will be at war with Iran some time soon?

I saw a report on the news about Iran today. The President is a hardliner, the President is pushing for limitless Nuclear technology development, the President is a Jew hater who denies the holocaust and wants Israel whiped out and all Jews killed, was the jist of the report. It went on further to some degree about how the "moderate" movement of Iran has slowed down and is now in decline and implied the way that tv shows like "The West Wing" show Iran to be, is just no where near reality as it is nothing but a dangerous nation. It finished with a flourish of Jack Straw commenting on how Britain and her allies will not allow Iran to develop nuclear technology any further as it will most likely be for the purposes of creating weapons.

Isn't this just the whole WMD's argument that we had with Iraq all over again?
Let us not forget why Iran is important to the west though, America didn't put the Shar (forgive poor spelling) in power and control him as a puppet for 20 years for nothing. They did it for...you guessed it...Oil!

I can see Donald Rumsfeld sitting down with President Bush now and the two saying,
"Mr President...ahhh...it's Iran, sir. Basically, them guys over there, have themselves some WMD's and are threatenin' to use 'em on us and our allies. Al Quida maybe there too, but we don't have any evidence, but im sure the CIA boys can find some or if not they can make it. They also got some oil under that desert they live in, Mr President. Lots of oil and...well, sir, they're oppressing the people, not letting them vote and such."

"Let's get over their and liberate that country from them Terrorists and save that innocent oil, Donny! I'm a war President, i'm a war President!"

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87987

They decide these things years in advance and then sell them to you.
    Neither Britain nor America can go to war with Iran at the moment. And Iran knows that which is why they’re trying to see how far they can go.

America and Britain don’t have the resources to invade another country. We’re not finished with Iraq and Afghanistan yet. And I don’t think there’s the public support in America or in Britain for going to war with Iran.

Iran however is extremely dangerous. Given Iran’s consistent hateful rhetoric and the extreme Islamic fundamentalism of its leaders the world would be extremely dangerous if Iran acquired nuclear weapons. The results could be absolutely catastrophic; I don’t think you can rule out a nuclear war.

Within Israel there’s already been talk of attempting to attack and destroy Iran’s nuclear capabilities although if any action was taken against Iran I don’t think it would be by Israel.

Also, Iran’s nuclear facilities won’t be easy to destroy because of where they’re located. It wouldn’t surprise me if certain people in America and Britain are already thinking about how to get round that. (As well as how to get China and Russia on board). UN sanctions as everybody knows won’t deter Iran.
    yes.
    not sure the west will invade though.
    rocket attacks ...bio?
    the west and israel ...will not tolerate ythis guy and his nuclear desires much longer.
    Maybe america can organise a 'terrorist' attack to get a bit of patroitism and support for another war?
    muse- wrote:
    Maybe america can organise a 'terrorist' attack to get a bit of patroitism and support for another war?
    enough already with the scary stuff!
    a very real possibility.

as Disillusioned pointed out ...we don't actualy have the resources to invade but ...rocket attacks and or some disease may well be the tools used.

for some time now i've been waiting for irans nuclear facility to actualy explode ...in a full nuclear manner.
    the place destroyed and proof for the world that yes ...they were building a bomb but ...oops ...it went off.

i'm sure the west have the capability of delivering and detonating a nuclear warhead for such a scenario.
    We can only wait and see I guess...

If something along those lines does happen I will really lose all trust in the ppl in power... we are all fucked if stuff like this carries on :nervous:
    muse- wrote:
    I will really lose all trust in the ppl in power... :nervous:
    i'll keep a seat for you ...
    I think taking out all known key Iranian military and Nuclear facilities would be easy now that their are bases in Iraq. Not as land invasion or a land war, but total air supremecy could be achieved over Iran within 2 days of fighting and then a non-stop bombing campaign could be launched.

I know we wouldnt take out all of the facilities, but we would take out all the ones we know about and send a message that just because we are stuck in a quagmire in Iraq, doesnt mean we dont have the planes to fuck up anyone else who pisses on our flags!!!

Also, i believe in the current climate of world politics, Russia would be on board with it and France would definately be on board. i dont think the UN would be much of a problem this time round.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    LONG LIVE THE CALIPHATE!

Ahem, well... the guy is quite nuts. But so is Bush. Meh, I couldn't care less about Iran, they know hte need WMD's, otherwise the US will invade them, like Iraq. Notice we leave NK alone now it has nukes?

If Iran doesn't get nukes soon, they will probably be invaded, if they have them... people are dettered. I know we Brits should leave Iran alone though... don't go poking a powerful nation like Iran... they have lots of new US technology.
    well if war is necessary. i really wouldnt feel comfortable with iran having nuclear weapons
    Donald Rumsfeld to George Bush,

"Mr President, ahhhhhh...Iran is the target, if we take out that Bullseye, the rest of the dominos with fall like a house of cards...Checkmate!"
    subject13 wrote:
    I think taking out all known key Iranian military and Nuclear facilities would be easy now that their are bases in Iraq. Not as land invasion or a land war, but total air supremecy could be achieved over Iran within 2 days of fighting and then a non-stop bombing campaign could be launched.

I know we wouldnt take out all of the facilities, but we would take out all the ones we know about and send a message that just because we are stuck in a quagmire in Iraq, doesnt mean we dont have the planes to fuck up anyone else who pisses on our flags!!!

Also, i believe in the current climate of world politics, Russia would be on board with it and France would definately be on board. i dont think the UN would be much of a problem this time round.
    the trouble is ...it's never that simple.
    there are people involved.
    warm loving flesh kinda people.
    people with children.
    people with hopes and fears.
    people with passions and hatreds.
    the middle east would go up in flames.
    our own streets would be going up in flames ...for our hypocrisy and greed and mismanagement of the world.
    i hate the thought of that nutcase in Iran having nukes.
    i dread the solutions now being thought out.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    LONG LIVE THE CALIPHATE!

Ahem, well... the guy is quite nuts. But so is Bush. Meh, I couldn't care less about Iran, they know hte need WMD's, otherwise the US will invade them, like Iraq. Notice we leave NK alone now it has nukes?

If Iran doesn't get nukes soon, they will probably be invaded, if they have them... people are dettered. I know we Brits should leave Iran alone though... don't go poking a powerful nation like Iran... they have lots of new US technology.

Do you know something we don't? How exactly is the US going to invade Iran with its military tied up in Iraq and Afghanistan? Um and were there plans to invade NK prior to it acquiring nuclear weapons?

Anyway the mindset of NK is pretty different to that of Iran’s. With Iran you are dealing with a country governed by people practicing an extremely fundamentalist and extreme creed of Islam. They're dangerous. And trusting them with nuclear weapons would be like trusting the 7/7 bombers in Heathrow with a tonne of dynamite.

Put your hatred towards America aside for a minute and realise the fatal and catastrophic consequences that a nuclear war would create. That is something that would be a lot more likely with Iran possessing nuclear weapons. I’m not advocating an invasion but if this isn’t resolved through the UN someone needs to think about destroying their nuclear capabilities...
    Has anyone stopped consider that perhaps, just perhaps, Iran wants to acquire nukes because that is the only way left in today's world to protect yourself against aggresion from the US?

Just a thought.
    Duplicate post..Please delete.
    the trouble is ...it's never that simple.
    there are people involved.
    warm loving flesh kinda people.
    people with children.
    people with hopes and fears.
    people with passions and hatreds.
    the middle east would go up in flames.
    our own streets would be going up in flames ...for our hypocrisy and greed and mismanagement of the world.
    i hate the thought of that nutcase in Iran having nukes.
    i dread the solutions now being thought out.

I’d hope somehow Iran’s nuclear capabilities could be destroyed without the kind of war that would bring all that. In the 80’s Israel bombed an Iraqi nuclear reactor without invading or anything and there were no casualties. Thing is Iran's is underground so it's not the same.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Has anyone stopped consider that perhaps, just perhaps, Iran wants to acquire nukes because that is the only way left in today's world to protect yourself against aggresion from the US?

Just a thought.
    i can ubderstand that sort of thinking but ...the most feared and ruthless enemy going has to be a suicide bomber. an enemy that wants to die while killing you. can you imagine if that mentality is in control of a nuclear weapon.
    they must be stopped ...if you want to carry on living the life style you have become acustomed to.
    trouble is ...we seem to be approaching a situation where we are heading for two dead ends but we still have to choose.
    seems to me ...let them carry on is seriously dangerous ...a complete casting aside of all responsibilty ...stopping them ...is equaly fraught with danger ...and lets not pretend this isn't a dangerous situation the world is approaching please.
    Even if Iran does develop Nuclear WMD, and god forbid fire some at us and the good old USA.

Question - what do you uthink would happen then?

answer - goodbye Iran. (off the face of the map)

Between us , we have much more tridents than they could ever have, and our subs would obviously be floating around the gulf somewhere with itchy trigger fingers.

So I wouldnt worry too much about them building a few reactors.

Anyways, Hans Blixx will have something to say about it
    Do you know something we don't? How exactly is the US going to invade Iran with its military tied up in Iraq and Afghanistan? Um and were there plans to invade NK prior to it acquiring nuclear weapons?

Anyway the mindset of NK is pretty different to that of Iran’s. With Iran you are dealing with a country governed by people practicing an extremely fundamentalist and extreme creed of Islam. They're dangerous. And trusting them with nuclear weapons would be like trusting the 7/7 bombers in Heathrow with a tonne of dynamite.

Put your hatred towards America aside for a minute and realise the fatal and catastrophic consequences that a nuclear war would create. That is something that would be a lot more likely with Iran possessing nuclear weapons. I’m not advocating an invasion but if this isn’t resolved through the UN someone needs to think about destroying their nuclear capabilities...

Its not more likley with Iran possesing nukes. It has become about 10 times more likley now Kim is making them. Kim, is FAR FAR more dangerous. Realise this. I'd not trust him furthur than I can throw him. And I couldn't throw him very far.

Besides, Iran may be dangerous. But it isn't stupid. And like the US would invade a nation that might fight back with military weapons anyway. They know Iran has good stuff... they sold it to them. But the sad thing is... the only reason I can see for invading Iraq... is it is a good staging post for Iran.
    babylon wrote:
    Even if Iran does develop Nuclear WMD, and god forbid fire some at us and the good old USA.

Question - what do you uthink would happen then?

answer - goodbye Iran. (off the face of the map)

Between us , we have much more tridents than they could ever have, and our subs would obviously be floating around the gulf somewhere with itchy trigger fingers.

So I wouldnt worry too much about them building a few reactors.

Anyways, Hans Blixx will have something to say about it
    i don't think anyone even considers that Iran are contemplating trying to build a fucking long range missile that would reach America ...get real.

so what if Iran is wiped off the map?
    some of these fucking nutcases would be quite willing to sacrifice their people and their country to destroy the way the world works right now ...allah will come to the rescue ...
    I don't believe that any allied coalition could sucessfully invade and overthrow Irans regime.

It's a whole different playing field than Iraq.

For a start its mountianous and more highly populated.
    babylon wrote:
    I don't believe that any allied coalition could sucessfully invade and overthrow Irans regime.

It's a whole different playing field than Iraq.

For a start its mountianous and more highly populated.
    have you read the thread?
    people are discussing how ...it may be done ...not many seem to be voting for a land invasion ...
    All I'm saying is that It will not come to a nuclear war between Iran and the west because Iran would like to have the WMD as a deterrent, (as does the rest of the nuclear states)
    babylon wrote:
    All I'm saying is that It will not come to a nuclear war between Iran and the west because Iran would like to have the WMD as a deterrent, (as does the rest of the nuclear states)
    where does your faith in these people come from?
    it is a dilema. i mean if we got nukes why cant they. sure they should be allowed. but arent we all going to feel guilty if the first thing they do is nuke us, or israel or something.
    babylon wrote:
    How true. Iran doesn't want to be invaded like Iraq. So it needs a way to deter the west... hence.. nukes. If it threatens to nuke Israel, people will hopefully leave it alone in future.
    true, but these arent going to well guarded nuclear silos or submarines. just how easy would be for some nasty terrorist group to get there way in and do something crazy.
    They do not wish a nuclear war with the west, but wish to defend against one.

Especially now that the international community is ganging up on them and it looks like George Bush is fishing for an excuse to get his hands on their oil (somehow)
    yes but realistically, lets be honest, if he did, would he really be able to do it? i mean look at the total mess iraq is. people dont want that again. surely someone would prevent such a thing?
    I don't honestly think another war is feasable, its much better to get Iran on board with the UN and let the inspectors do their jobs, avert having trade sanctions imposed on them and hopefully this thing will blow over.