Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a job at 14

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I realize the minimum age to actually get a job where you're not on the boarder line of slavery is 16. Now, I'm 14, so currently, I can only legally get those slave labour jobs :( .

I was speaking to someone today, and he said if I went to a store like instore (or poundstretcher for some) , Tescos, or places like Pizza Hut, I could get a job if I just said I was 16 as they rarely ever check up on what you've said on your application form.

Is that correct?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, I realize the minimum age to actually get a job where you're not on the boarder line of slavery is 16. Now, I'm 14, so currently, I can only legally get those slave labour jobs :( .

I was speaking to someone today, and he said if I went to a store like instore (or poundstretcher for some) , Tescos, or places like Pizza Hut, I could get a job if I just said I was 16 as they rarely ever check up on what you've said on your application form.

Is that correct?

when they come to pay you, or ask for your details so they can pay you, they will ask for a national insurance number, they might even ask for ID, but if they dont, they will want a national insurance number, then if you cant produce one, they wont pay you until you do

even if you did get away with it, and they then find out, you would get sacked on the spot, and they would withold a reference for you, which is a pretty bad thing, cause then it will be hard to get another job again
    get a paper round.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    MrG wrote:
    when they come to pay you, or ask for your details so they can pay you, they will ask for a national insurance number, they might even ask for ID, but if they dont, they will want a national insurance number, then if you cant produce one, they wont pay you until you do

even if you did get away with it, and they then find out, you would get sacked on the spot, and they would withold a reference for you, which is a pretty bad thing, cause then it will be hard to get another job again

:yes: I can only agree. Although the circumstance is slightly different, you might find it helpful to read this answer from the legal & rights section of our askTheSite service
    i got my first job when i was 15, only because it was through someone i know
    im afraid you'll probably only be able to do something like work in a little corner shop or something, any national stores want you to be at least 16