Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First semester assignments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So I'm doing my assignments, it's taking ages and I have no understanding really of hw to properly structure an essay (learner support wee supposed to help but I've only had one sesion, they'reso slow)...

Anyway, I know what information to put, I'm not entirely sure how I'll go aboutwriting things, but I have some good research...

That standard of writing do you need to pass the first semester in university? I'm doing human rights and politics.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi MoonRat,

The Site has a comprehensive guide to writing essays which you can view here

I guess the thing to remember is that your first couple of assignments are a bit of a learning curve and it's good to try and get as much feedback as possible. Arrange a meeting with a personal tutor if you have one, or if not the subject tutor to talk about the essay when you get it back. This will give you a good idea as to whether or not you are writing to the appropriate standard, and if not you can find out what you need to do to improve. When I wrote my first essay for uni my tutor told me my writing style was too scholarly - not what I expected to hear at all!

Hope this helps :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well it depends what your question is really. for most questions i'd generally start with an introduction and then do for/against and a conclusion.
    ooh, dont forget your references. there are many different referencing systems, it's worth finding out which your uni/department prefers. you may find your department/library has a guide for citing references that'll help :)
    \
    I find people often have good points but express themselves badly. My advice would be to find and read some well written essays- on any subject. Take note of the phrases people use to compare/contrast/draw attention to the point they're making.
    \
    also, a lot of uni's have a guide to essay writing on their internet site which explains exactly how to structure it.
    to be honest, i did basically what i did for my A-Level essays, just used more sources and went into issues in more depth.