Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I really like this guy...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...but he's still hung up on his ex :banghead:

I met this guy really out of the blue when I wasn't expecting it and we hit it off straight away. I work with him so I got to see him at least once a week which was great. Then all of a sudden he starts texting me and I'm over the moon. Everything is going great. On new years eve I told him I like him (I had a few drinks down my neck so it was easy to say lol) and he said he liked me back :) I'm quite a shy person so it took a while for him to persuade me to meet up with him, but eventually I did. And it was great. He told me about his ex who was his first love, and how they had a messy break up but never really told me what she actually did to hurt him so much, but I didn't want to ask too many questions as it was a sore subject with him. And then one day, he asks me out. Obviously I say yes, and I'm over the moon :love:
But then day after, he suddnely text me saying he can't have a girlfriend cos he's still hung up on his ex and all this and he don't wanna hurt me. Fair enough I guess. But I was gutted as I really do like him. Now I'm not sure what to do..?
I had a messy break up with my first love so I know how he feels, but it's been 4 months since they split up. I want him to get over her cos to be honest, it's not everyday I meet someone who I get on so well with and could actually see having a good relationship with.
What do I do? :confused: Leave him to get over her himself? (he thinks about his ex waaayyyyy too much and is always dwelling on it, his ex now has a new boyfriend and he can't understand why she is so happy) Maybe he needs something/someone to take his mind off her? I really don't know what to say or do. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do really like him.
Thanks guys.
xxx

Comments

• Options
    be there for him as a friend. that will help him to see there are other people in the world besides his ex, who's obviously out of reach as she's got a b.f anyway!
    he's been honest with you, and sounds like a lovely guy, but how long were they together?? After 4 months he'll still be feeling alot of emotions...pain, anger, confusion, upset, etc....and these wont just go away. He cant forget her or these feelings, he can only learn to deal with them+this takes time. Also, a shoulder to cry on (in this case, this could be you) helps alot!
  • Options
    They were together just over a year, which I guess is along time when it's your first love and all that.
    That's exactly what I want him to realise, that there are other people out there for him and he can't keep beating himself up about his ex, cos to be honest, I don't think she really cares.
    Another thing is that his ex keeps telling him that their best friends, she'll always love him and she's always be there for him, which in my experience isnt making him get over her any quicker as this happened to me with my ex.