Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

trees causing global warming!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
am i on drugs or summat?
on the news tonight ...trees and all other plants are pumping out methane ...in huge ammountds ...

so planting forrests is actualy bad for the situation!

our science has always shown that methane can only be produced in an oxygen free environment ...a bog or swamp ...a cows stomach etc ...a closed in place where there is no oxygen.
now lo and behold ...it turns out that everything with roots is pumping the stuff out day and night ...making the option of planting trees to offset your carbon production a waste of time.
even worse than a waste of time ...your adding to the problem.
it would seem that deforrestation of the planet would actualy be beneficial!!!

who the fuck has done this research i can only imagine and tremble at ...

to late now but ...someone should be able to find a link.
bbc ...

Comments

• Options
    am i on drugs or summat?
    on the news tonight ...trees and all other plants are pumping out methane ...in huge ammountds ...

so planting forrests is actualy bad for the situation!

our science has always shown that methane can only be produced in an oxygen free environment ...a bog or swamp ...a cows stomach etc ...a closed in place where there is no oxygen.
    now lo and behold ...it turns out that everything with roots is pumping the stuff out day and night ...making the option of planting trees to offset your carbon production a waste of time.
    even worse than a waste of time ...your adding to the problem.
    it would seem that deforrestation of the planet would actualy be beneficial!!!

who the fuck has done this research i can only imagine and tremble at ...

to late now but ...someone should be able to find a link.
    bbc ...

Reagan said essentially the same thing with trees producing more toxic emissions than cars. It'd be sweet to have one of those idiots in a conversation and say "so plants are more toxic than cars and power plants eh? Fine lets make a bet, I'll stand in a garage full of as many plants and trees as you can fit, and you stand in one with a running car. Last man left alive wins"
  • Options
    beeb. Doesn't mean trees are bad though :p

although I'd always suspected using forest planting to off-set not decreasing harmful emissions was rather dubious.
  • Options
    Seeing as trees and plants also process huge amounts of CO2 and are critical to the health of the planet, the fact that they release methane is completely inconsequential.

Anyone who suggests trees are bad for global warming (let alone being worse than cars) is nothing more than a thick-as-two-short-planks right wing twat. By happy coincidence just what Ronald Reagan was.
  • Options
    It's kinda funny really. Around the Kyoto conference that happened yonks ago they were passing the blame on cows. Now it's trees... everything that shifts the responsibility from us to nature.

Ah... the joys of being human. ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeing as trees and plants also process huge amounts of CO2 and are critical to the health of the planet, the fact that they release methane is completely inconsequential.

Anyone who suggests trees are bad for global warming (let alone being worse than cars) is nothing more than a thick-as-two-short-planks right wing twat. By happy coincidence just what Ronald Reagan was.
    :lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Aladdin you claim to be a rational man of science to some degree yet you sound like a fundamentalist zealot when any science challenges your own beliefs.

Maybe you are an expert on plant biology but somehow I doubt it.

Their findings seem to be true and the implications almost certainly don't extend as far as 'trees are bad' but dismissing it as having no implications at all makes you sound like a raving moron.......
  • Options
    Okay, let me put it very simple:

It's because of trees (amongst other things of course) that we are alive. It's becuase of trees that oxigen and CO2 are at life-supporting level. Without them we wouldn't be here.

Seeing as plant life has been around for tens of millions of years and the internal combustion engine has been around for about 120, I think we all know (or ought to know anyway) what might be responsible for global warming and climate change.

That is why suggesting that the very thing that keeps the planet alive and that has been around for nearly 100 million years might be to blame for global warming is a fucking stupidity of unprecendented proportions- uttered almost exclusively by selfish wankers who think they have the right to produce as much waste and pollution as they want and then try to blame everything and anything but themselves for the consequences of their actions.

Understand now?
  • Options
    once upon a time most of europe and asia and the americas and africa ...were covered in trees and guess what?
    the poles were semi tropical ...
    northen europes climate was tropical.

the only problem with global warming that i see is that it is probably happening to fast for huge populations to adapt to.
  • Options
    am i on drugs or summat?

:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:
  • Options
    Like I said, I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that 'Trees are bad'

But to say as you did that such a finding is 'inconsequential' is ludicrous and betrays a fundamentalist zealotry of the type you supposedly so despise when you critices religion.

For example if trees were producing methane then that would mean that when trees are planted to exchange for pollution under any kind of pollution permit trading scheme they would have to plant more than currently thought to make up for the CO2 emissions. So this finding would make such a scheme more efficient

Who are these 'selfish wankers', the study was conducted by scientists trying to understand how things work and increase human knowledge, something you do not appear to have much regard for........
  • Options
    Actually MR global warming is about unnaturally fast changes in the earth's climate that disrupts the planet's natural cycles.

I think only the most deluded necon could still possibly deny that there has been a very rapid increase in temperatures in the last 100 years or so and that this is man-made.

This increase is far faster than the planet's natural cycle, and it is beyond doubt that it will not do a lot of good.

And of course as well dramatic climate changes there is the issue of pollution. I haven't seen many trees exhausting black poisonous smoke- unlike our 4-wheel friends.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Like I said, I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that 'Trees are bad'

But to say as you did that such a finding is 'inconsequential' is ludicrous and betrays a fundamentalist zealotry of the type you supposedly so despise when you critices religion.

For example if trees were producing methane then that would mean that when trees are planted to exchange for pollution under any kind of pollution permit trading scheme they would have to plant more than currently thought to make up for the CO2 emissions. So this finding would make such a scheme more efficient

Who are these 'selfish wankers', the study was conducted by scientists trying to understand how things work and increase human knowledge, something you do not appear to have much regard for........
    Who are the selfish wankers? Why, people like Ronald Reagan (who actually claimed trees are bad) or George W. Bush, and the legions of Republicans and neocons around the world who still deny there is such thing as man-made global warming.

Try to read my posts thoroughly before lashing out, eh?
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:
    wotchit pal ...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    people like Ronald Reagan (who actually claimed trees are bad)
    but they are cos they are made of wood and he had millions invested in plastic.
    so trees harm the plastics industry ...crazy world!
  • Options
    They could also be easily confused with missiles, about to be launched against America.

Poor Reagan must have seen satellite pictures of Siberian woods and thought the Soviets had millions of missiles ready for launching.

Trees are known to have an alliance with hippies and liberals, and are regularly seen hugged by them. Talk about axis of evil.

Evil commie trees! :mad:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Who are the selfish wankers? Why, people like Ronald Reagan (who actually claimed trees are bad) or George W. Bush, and the legions of Republicans and neocons around the world who still deny there is such thing as man-made global warming.

Try to read my posts thoroughly before lashing out, eh?

Oh no not the Blagsta response!!!!
  • Options
    Global Warming is a crock of shit!
    Everything fucking thing causes global warming!
    If it rains its global warming, if its sunny its global warming, if its cold in winter and warm in summer its global warming.
    If someone dies of a heart attack global warming did it!
    What a fucking scapegoat!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    What a fucking scapegoat!

Erm, out of interest, what do you think it's a scapegoat for?
  • Options
    Well i was kind of having a completely off the wall rant in a jokular fashion and implying its a scapegoat for every kind of complaint about the weather. Though that was obvious from all the examples.
  • Options
    But it is influencing changes in the weather, that's pretty undeniable.

I take your point though. :p
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Global Warming is a crock of shit!
    Everything fucking thing causes global warming!
    If it rains its global warming, if its sunny its global warming, if its cold in winter and warm in summer its global warming.
    Just because the term uses the word 'warming' it doesn't mean we're all going to be in swimming trunks in December you know. Quite the opposite in fact.

Global warming does cause all the things you have mentioned: hotter summers, colder winters, but more critically floodings, temperature shifts both on land and in the oceans, sea level rises, and deforestation.

And if the gulf stream is seriously disturbed and is switched off or diverted, prepare yourself for Moscow-style winters. Because that is the only thing sparing us the weather they get in Moscow- which is at the same latitude as London.