Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Differing reactions to weed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi my name is fae, i'm 18 and today is day 8 of my promise to myself to stop getting stoned. I have been smoking skunk practically every day for the last 2 years. I'm at the point now where my mind cannot hold very much info at all, I am constantly forgetting things and get paranoid whenever I am outside my house. I stopped because I hardly ever go out anywhere, have very little friends and basically am a crappy person. I would REALLY appreciate any advice from other heavy smokers, on the social side really. I do enjoy smoking and will probably have the occaisonal spliff when I have got over the real addiction, but I am really concerned about the social side. I would love to be who I used to be, enjoying going out and even just having a conversation with someone without worrying that that they don't like me. :(
This ain't a sob story, just thought if anyone has been in the same position they would know how I feel and could tell me something useful.....

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    littlefae wrote:
    Hi my name is fae, i'm 18 and today is day 8 of my promise to myself to stop getting stoned. I have been smoking skunk practically every day for the last 2 years. I'm at the point now where my mind cannot hold very much info at all, I am constantly forgetting things and get paranoid whenever I am outside my house. I stopped because I hardly ever go out anywhere, have very little friends and basically am a crappy person. I would REALLY appreciate any advice from other heavy smokers, on the social side really. I do enjoy smoking and will probably have the occaisonal spliff when I have got over the real addiction, but I am really concerned about the social side. I would love to be who I used to be, enjoying going out and even just having a conversation with someone without worrying that that they don't like me. :(
    This ain't a sob story, just thought if anyone has been in the same position they would know how I feel and could tell me something useful.....
    this thread is very old ...you should have started a new one ya great puddin'.

anyway ...it realy isn't or shouldn't be ...as big a problem as this nanny state world we live in would have you believe.

i have been toking for ...37 years.
    some of it year on year day after day.
    i now smoke a lot less ...sometimes none at all for three or four months ...even a year eighteen months ...cos i get bored with it or ...am to involved in other things. currently i'm smoking about a tenners worth a week.
    for the last six months leading up to xmas i was smoking about a tenners worth a month.

if you have a constant supply to hand and are in the habit of skining up first thing in the morning ...put it back a whole hour or more if you can.
    then when you do skin up ...make it a one skinner for yourself ...with about twenty pence worth or less in it.

tiny ammounts can be very stimulating as opposed to very monging or very high.

have a good shower or scrub ...brighten yourself up on the outside ...then go out ...for a walk in the park ...around town whatever.
    you don't have tpo speak to people ...enjoy the openess and enjoy yourself.

it realy realy isn't hard.

todays information is not knowledge a lot of the time as far as i'm concerned ...it's fucking pampering to imaginary overblown needs etc etc.

go for it ...try it ...do it.

imagine there is no help or advice whatever available in this world and then ...what would you do ...die?

i don't think so.

get off your butt.
    be brave be strong be free be ...human.
    fuck all the expert this that and the other ...it might just not apply to you.

go for it.

if you can't pull it off ...as k the experts.
    trouble with experts these days ...they have mostly been filled with information.
    people these days love information.
    people these days look down on or forget ...natural inner wisdom.

you have natural inner wisdom ...you have the power to do amything you want but ...this world and its experts will tell you ...you haven't got sod all.

please keep posting and letting us know how your doing.

if another approach is needed i'm sure someone here will help dig you out of that hole.
    all the best ...stay strong and free.
    wow thanks for replying so fast, after I posted the message I realised how old it was and thought no-one would even see it.
    Your message was just what I wanted to hear, I hate these shitty sites that just say " it's bad for you, stop doing it" like I don't know that. how long do you think it will be before I stop being so concious of people around me. I think I will definately make the effort, just go out and try to be normal, see how it goes. And will my mind get back to how it was before? :confused: Like remembering stuff. I fucking love being a stoner but don't want people to see me that way, especially at work!
    littlefae wrote:
    wow thanks for replying so fast, after I posted the message I realised how old it was and thought no-one would even see it.
    Your message was just what I wanted to hear, I hate these shitty sites that just say " it's bad for you, stop doing it" like I don't know that. how long do you think it will be before I stop being so concious of people around me. I think I will definately make the effort, just go out and try to be normal, see how it goes. And will my mind get back to how it was before? :confused: Like remembering stuff. I fucking love being a stoner but don't want people to see me that way, especially at work!

Your still very young and two years isnt a very long time to have an addiction, most people would go a lot longer.

So you should recover no problem, I dont thinkyou should smoke any for a few weeks to get it out of your system, try and get active with other things in your life the more you get out there the easier it gets, (college ? a job ?) exersise is also good always makes you feel more healthy and look better.
    Then if you want to just keep on taking it try and just keep it to weekends.
    littlefae wrote:
    dope effects short term memory.
    your long term memory should be pretty much intact within days.
    the short term bit takes a while ...but we are only talking weeks.
    you sound ok ...your not depressing or pissing people off ...wait till you meet some of the others who come here ...
    cannabis is pretty easy to escape from and even revisit with knowledge and experience under your belt or ...just left far away from you forever more.

if you know what you want ...the answer is within as to how to get it.

imagine i was a councilor.
    if i was a crap or average one ...you'd probably find me telling you what to do ...giving you the answers to your problems.
    if i was a realy good one ...i would be teasing the answers out of you.
    if a good one can tease those answers from you ...that means ...you have the answers ...the solutions ...within.
    all this information bollox gets me down. endless theories that change over the years ...yesterdays thinking has gone ...todays thinking ...will be yesterdays before you know it ...meaning most of the information your fed ...will turn out to be out of date before you know it ...ijn other words ...fucking wrong!

but ...peoiple only see the information thats available at the time ...i've been arounfd long enough to see the information chop and change and guess what ...lets go right back to the begining ...when there wasn't a world full of info ...what did stoners do then?
    they talked to like minded people ...and they thought things through for themselves.

you are a bazillion times stronger than this modern world wou;ld have you believe.

guess what ...i survived and even thrived ...along with millions of others before all this bullshit stuff was available but ........

just to get myself ready for the onslought ...yes i know there are many people who can't do it this way ...mostly cos this modern fucking world has made them feel fucking helpless!

yes ...i'm in a ranting mood tonight ...but i hope you can see where i'm coming from ...
    littlefae wrote:

Being paranoid is a common enough side effect of constant smoking but as the person above has said, you've only been toking constantly for 2 years, it's not that long really in the grand scheme of things. The first few weeks/months going off it are quite hard but once you get yourself into a routine of not smoking it, or not smoking it daily then you're fine.
    thanks to both of you for your comments they have really helped, I will definately be back on here to let you know how it goes, i feel more optimistic already. I know there are people more fucked up than me and I look forward to the day when I can go out and have a laugh and then come home and relax with a joint. Just need to get there. Thanks so much. :blush:
    littlefae wrote:
    thanks to both of you for your comments they have really helped, I will definately be back on here to let you know how it goes, i feel more optimistic already. I know there are people more fucked up than me and I look forward to the day when I can go out and have a laugh and then come home and relax with a joint. Just need to get there. Thanks so much. :blush:
    you'll get there chuck ...you already sound cheerful.
    cheerful is positive.

goodnight and godbless ...this old stoner has to go to bed.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hey there, I've split the thread so this doesn't get lost in the older one. littlefae, there is a website called Know Cannabis that is well worth a look. It offers a really simple tool to help you look at your cannabis use, identify where your problems and triggers are, and then gives you some practical tips to help you cut down or stop. Good luck with it.
    I have been smoking basically daily for about 4 or 5 years, dont worry about it, very soon you'll feel yourself wake up again and realise your not paranoid or stoned...over the summer i had 3 months where i didnt toke at all and i felt back to my old self by the end of it. I have stupidly relapsed into my lazy life of bunning though...

Really though, you will be fine, just dont relapse back into smoking daily again and you'll be ok! (over those 3 months i had a few hash joints and all was dandy)