Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University Life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What's university life like? I know a couple of people at uni but I want to have a broader view of it.

When you started was it better/worse than school?

Better life (in your opinion), more freedom? Or did that scare you?

Did you lose touch with mates?

Did what you got up to at school affect anything? (lateness, absence, getting into trouble etc)

And, if anyone can be bothered - what is your weekly timetable like? I'd prefer a first year one tbh but anything would be great)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    tbh I had an amazing xmas holidays, when i compare it to time at uni uni isn;t as good, but that's just me, some ppl have the best time of their lives, it just depends i guess.

Haven't lost touch with old friends, and as for timetable it's not bad...I think the first year is generally a taster for what the real course is gonna be like.

Maybe 3 hours a day but spread out randomly? Obv ure sposed to do more out of classes but if ure course is boring and sucks then you dont tend to :cool:

*edit* The change from living at home to uni hit me pretty hard in the first week but you get used to it.
  • Options
    Universty life is in my experience great.
    I was shaking with fear, and I can honestly say that it has been the best thing I ever did for myself.
    Academically it's stimulating to devote yourself to a subject which you're truly interested in, rather than being "forced" to do more subjects.
    Socially, it expands your horizons so much. I now have friends from all over the world, and have met so many different people from myself in so many ways.
    Personally, it has taught me a lot about myself. I am strong. I have been able to make a huge transition - yet I've been lucky enough to find some stars of human beings helping me along the way.

From the start it has been better than high-school, for the reasons stated above.
    The freedom, and the choice and opportunities every night is so different from the structured everyday I had before (even though it was so much more liberal than most English people's) - one would be a fool not to embrace it.

I have made an effort of writing my friends from home an e-mail every now and then, just not to lose touch. I am now back home and there is no change in my relationship to my friends. I havemanaged to keep close contact with the people I wanted to see.
    Also 3 of my friends from home have visited me so far in england.

Timetable for the past term (1st year)
    monday: lecture 3-4
    tuesday: lecture 10-11, seminar 12-1, lecture 2-3
    wednesday: lecture 9-11, lecture 12-1
    thursday: biweekly seminar 9-10, tutorial, 12-1, lecture 2-3
    friday:biweekly seminar 3-4
  • Options
    university life is nothing like school. things you get up to don't really matter - nobody is going to care if you are absent / late / or anything... but it won't do your studying much good. ;)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    university life is nothing like school. things you get up to don't really matter - nobody is going to care if you are absent / late / or anything... but it won't do your studying much good. ;)

Hehe I do read from time to time that people here aren't as devoted to early morning seminars etc than they should be, but I meant if i am late for school and the scool passes any information on to the university will it affect my application or the way I'm treated by staff? I.e. will I be subject to scrutiny etc and not given as much leeway?
  • Options
    What's university life like?

Different for everyone, all we can really tell you is our own experience. Personally, I love it...but I don't know if I might have loved a 9-5 just as much, or more. Have made the very most out of it, you could say.

Much better. The two aren't really comparable because as someone said already school is so, so much more structured. They'll try and get you to come to your lectures but you have to structure your own time and discipline yourself in a way the teachers did at school. It's your choice to be there, so if you waste time/don't turn up etc they pretty much consider that to be your problem.

Scary at first, especially if you move away from home. It's nervewracking meeting so many new people, having to make new friends and live somewhere new. But in the long-term it's fantastic.

Some, yes. The ones that were really good friends are the ones I've managed to keep in touch with. Probably sounds horrendous but it's quite a good way of pruning your social circle (if you want to)...people who don't care about keeping in touch with you (and/or you don't care about keeping in touch with) will be the ones you lose touch with. Others you'll stay friends with, and probably appreciate all the more when you see them a lot less. It also makes going home in the holidays a lot of fun, because everyone's back in the old hometown and you can meet up - good craic!

Did what you got up to at school affect anything? (lateness, absence, getting into trouble etc)

Not really. I wasn't perpetually late, absent or badly behaved though...I guess if you were then the Uni might find out about that through your referee. But if you're not an extreme case then it's the perfect opportunity for a fresh start.

And, if anyone can be bothered - what is your weekly timetable like? I'd prefer a first year one tbh but anything would be great)

My first year timetable varied a LOT, but probably isn't relevant to you since Nursing timetables are generally a lot different to those of other courses. So I won't bore you with it. :p
  • Options
    if you are constantly late at school, it might affect the way the university see's you - yes. i think attendance is one thing which must be quoted in figures on your ucas form by your school staff. (- at least it was when i applied and i'm in my final yaer now.) but after the application process... if you are in uni... its not going to bother them.
  • Options
    my uni life right now is good :) got a LOT of work due in for this week and the next but after that it should be pretty slow work wise!! wont have to sit in my room every evening and write essays :) yaay!

i personally find uni better than school (sixth form). ive become a lot more outgoing when it comes to meeting people and in general i have a lot more friends here than i did at home! plus i have a better social life!
    there is a lot more freedom here but i would not exactly say it is scary!! as long as youre ok with getting your own meals and getting to places on your own its fiine!!

when it comes to mates back home, i still keep in touch and see them regularly when i come back home. (however infrequently that may be!!) a phonecall now and then goes a long way!! if you want to stay in touch then make sure you get in contact regularly or you WILL lose contact and may be a bit awkward when you get home.

my weekly timetable is in total - 22 hours a week :( which is actually quite a lot compared to other people i have talked to!! sooo not fair!! (my mate does journalism and he only does 8 hours a week!!) timetables vary for whatever subject youre doing. if youre doing an art based course then that invariably means youre timetable is longer than someone whos doing saay.. IT or whatever :)
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    What's university life like? I know a couple of people at uni but I want to have a broader view of it.
    Its fabulous :D
    Jazza wrote:

Better, infinitely. They have a much more relaxed approach which suits me down to the ground. And the other students aren't as judgmental.
    Jazza wrote:
    Yeh I love the freedom. No hassle or responsibilites :D
    Jazza wrote:
    Nope not at all and we're scattered all over the country. I went to Birmingham, Exeter and London and had friends visit from London. Constantly kept in touch via fones, msn, email, letters, etc.
    Jazza wrote:
    Nope I had many problems at school and none of was passed on. None were major enough I reckon.
  • Options
    university life isn't what i thought it'd be. i had the misconception that i'd just lounge around in bed all day but if only i could. :p

i'm in my 2nd year and have roughly 10 hours of lectures/seminars a week. doesn't sound like much but i do have a fair bit of independent work to do outside of seminars. e.g. essays. :(

if going to uni, i would highly recommend going into halls in your first year. i didn't and feel like i missed out on the whole 1st year experience.

also, in your first semester it can be VERY easy to get carried away with your money. please try and remember that it has to last you. and make sure you keep track of how much you have/haven't got.
  • Options

Brilliant!

About 40 thousand times better.

I really love the freedom. Really do.

Yes. But then again, I didn't have that many to start off with, and no really close ones, so it isn't really surprising.

I'm a good girl and never got into trouble, so no :angel:

My first semester of first year was like this-

Monday-nothing
    Tuesday-Lecture 1-2, seminar 3-4
    Wednesday-Nothing
    Thursday-Lecture 10-11, Seminar 11-12
    Friday-Lecture 1-2, Seminar 2-3.

I do History.
  • Options
    It's amazing, met some many friends, now in my 4th and final year. It's the best year so far for me actually.

So much better, ok more responsibility, but you feel like an adult. More independance and freedom too.

A new start really, when I started in my 1st year I had just broken up with a long term girlfriend. I met so many new people, joined the snowboarding club, went to france snowboarding, joined a band, it took my mind off so much.

Yeah it did, everyone had their own lives going on at University or in jobs, but we kept in touch occasionally on MSN during termtime and met up for meals/piss ups in the holidays. It was good to hear how they were getting on.

Laziness got in the way, but I always handed work in on time, even if i did leave it til the last minute.

My 1st year had something like 24 hours worth of lectures a week for both semesters, along those lines anyway with on/off practicals.

This year, my 4th and final year goes as follows:
    Monday: No lectures - Day for working on my Final Year Project
    Tuesday: 2hrs (11-1)
    Wednesday: No lectures - Day for working on my Final Year Project
    Thursday: 3hrs (9-10, 1-2, 3-4)
    Friday: 1hr (3-4)

Totals up to 6 hours, few more though with practicals on thursdays sometimes.

I do Multimedia at Plymouth.
  • Options
    Thanks for answering my questions you guys - I'm definately looking forward to uni a lot more now!

I'm pretty sure I'll be OK money-wise what with the grants/loans and PT job (If I get one!) I'm a very cautious person when it comes to money (read: tightarse :razz:)

The thing that Lucy said about halls is bothering me because it reminded me that if I get to know a lot of people who live in halls, they will all be having the fun together and making decisions when I'm not there and I really have got a problem with not knowing exactly what's going on. I'll live no more than 10/15 minutes from whichever uni I'm going to and can make it into the city centre/west end in 10 minutes on foot from my house though so it shouldn't be that bad. Just want to see what other people think.
  • Options
    well you can always live with people in your 2nd year but are you going to get to know anyone enough to want to live with them? i only know a few people at uni who i'd call good mates..the rest of the people are just people i say hello to. my course isn't very group work based so it can be hard to get to know people - that's how it's been for me anyway. also i go to uni about 40-50 min drive from where other home is and i do tend to wish i'd gone further away. but then again it's nice having the home comforts every weekend. plus i work when i go home, too. you'll just have to work a bit harder to make friends than if you did if you were in halls.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:

Better than school, though you'll have to make new friends which is a challenge to some but not me.

Better, more choices, learning how to live/cope independently.

Some mates I've lost touch with altogether but see most either at uni itself/back home at weekends or at the holiday season. I think mobile phones make modern students stay in contact with their mates better.

Yes, being a lazy fuck and not going to class.
  • Options
    i love uni because i like the independence and freedom and not having anyone to answer to except yourself.
    are you staying at home then? because a lot of my experiences and feelings about uni are because i moved away from home.
  • Options
    I love uni life, so much more freedom

you can do what you want when you want

you wont get in trouble for not attending class, only for missing exams (but obviously, both are ill-advised)

I see my freinds from back home when I go back home, or I go visit them (ver) occasionally for a house party.

I'm living in a house with 4 other guys who are really cool, and I've made loooads of freinds, had lots of parties, having a great time!

the worst thing about it is exams (obviously) and the fact it's veeery easy to slack and do badly

it also caused a large strain on my relatioship with my gf, but we're still together, so it's all good :thumb:

also, just like lipsy;
    lipsy wrote:
    a lot of my experiences and feelings about uni are because i moved away from home.
  • Options
    I went to uni in Aberystwyth which was amazing. It's great in a tiny town like this, because everyone is a student basically. When you went out at night you could guarentee you'd meet someone you know. It was easy to hang out with friends because everyone was a 5 minute walk away.

I find that students in generally tend to be very open. You can just start and conversation with another group without them looking at you like you've just insulted their mother. You will also meet load of people from different backgrounds and cultures.

The courses seem to require a lot of independent learning, which is great if you're disciplined, but it's easy to end up with three full essays to finish by the end of the week.

As for friends at home, I've found you tend to lose touch with all but your closest friends. But I think this can happen around this time whether you go to uni or not, because everyone goes off and does their own things (jobs, relationships etc) and inevitably have less time to hang out.

But be warned. Prepare for a huge comedown when you finish uni. Don't expect to get a high paid job straight out of uni. Only a few people seem to. From what I've noticed most "graduate jobs" don't tend to be for new graduates, rather people who have a degree and a couple years experience in whatever field. Most people end up living with their parents again while they try to work off overdrafts/save up for things etc, which can be a bit depressing (as great as they are). It can be expensive to get together with your friends because of travel/accomodation costs, and most people aren't in a financial situation where they can afford to move in together. And you'll probably find that you've drifted apart from your friends from back home (most of mine are at uni).

Having said all that, I still wouldn't change it for the world. I've gained a degree. I've made the best friends I've ever had. I've learned load about myself and others. And most importantly, I now have friends in all sorts of exotic locations, which entitles me to cheap holidays. :thumb:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Uni really is brilliant! Independance, like minded people, fun, etc, its brilliant.

Here is my first year timetable as is, with 6 modules:

Monday: 11.15 - 1.15, 1.15 - 3.15
    Tuesday: 1.15 - 3.15, 3.15 - 5.15
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: 11.15 - 1.15, 1.15 - 3.15
    Friday: Off.

Although by admission I do have an easy timetable and a lot of personal study.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Thanks for answering my questions you guys - I'm definately looking forward to uni a lot more now!

I'm pretty sure I'll be OK money-wise what with the grants/loans and PT job (If I get one!) I'm a very cautious person when it comes to money (read: tightarse :razz:)

The thing that Lucy said about halls is bothering me because it reminded me that if I get to know a lot of people who live in halls, they will all be having the fun together and making decisions when I'm not there and I really have got a problem with not knowing exactly what's going on. I'll live no more than 10/15 minutes from whichever uni I'm going to and can make it into the city centre/west end in 10 minutes on foot from my house though so it shouldn't be that bad. Just want to see what other people think.

University has been the best time of my life so far. I've made some amazing friends, met all sorts of people, had a brilliant time, and also your doing the subject you like and want to do (hopefully!) so the work isnt too bad.
    One thing I would say that is you really do miss out if you aren't in halls in the first year i think. Your first year of uni, really is centered around life in halls (thats how i found it anyhow) and it can be difficult for people who aren't in halls to integrate with everyone else. Unless you have a good reason I would highly recommend living in halls in first year, and if you dont, make absolutely sure that you are on campus, in halls or the union or whatever *every* single day and night for the first couple of weeks. You will meet so many people in the first couple of weeks and often thats when lasting friendships are made. If you a naturally outgoing person it is probably easier to live out in the first year because you will be more likely to make the effort to meet people. If you a slightly less outgoing i would recommend living in halls because, meeting people etc is all handed to you on a plate, you have no choice but to meet people so its dead easy!
    So basically, live in halls if you can, but if you can't make sure you're hanging around uni like a bad smell for the first few weeks and you'll have a great time!!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    i don't think you necessarily miss out if you're not in halls. i was in halls but socialised much more with people on my course than i did with the people i lived with, mainly because i had more in common with them. my best friends are people on my course, rather than the people i live with.

yes, being in halls was a great way to meet people but it's not the only way. i met one of my closest friends at my first introduction lecture just because we randomly sat next to each other!

a few people on my course lived at home in their first year and still live at home now and they haven't missed out at all. i guess they had to make a bit more of an effort to begin with but it all worked out fine for them.

you'll meet loads of people at uni apart from those you live with - those who are on your course, those in any clubs you join, just randomly on nights out and in the union. you just have to make the effort.
  • Options
    I think I will stay at home and just hang around uni anyway because I don't see the point in paying to live 10 minutes away from home. Won't most people be around uni in the union bars and stuff all the time anyway?

What exactly is the student union bars and club on campus like anyway? Are there people there all the time?

And freshers' week - is it all about getting tanked up? :p
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I think I will stay at home and just hang around uni anyway because I don't see the point in paying to live 10 minutes away from home. Won't most people be around uni in the union bars and stuff all the time anyway?

What exactly is the student union bars and club on campus like anyway? Are there people there all the time?

And freshers' week - is it all about getting tanked up? :p

freshers week is only about getting tanked up if you want to get tanked up :)

but most people do :p it's usually the best time to get to know the people you'd be living with... So maybe you should try hang around with people on your course and get to know them if you really dont wana leave home :)

best thing about student bar/club is that it's full of students. mine's not the greatest place in the world, music's not great, atmosphere's ok, but it's fun most importantly!

I actually spent quite a lot of time getting drunk in the kitchen on my floor with my floor mates in the first year, making bowls of punch before we went out :yes:
  • Options
    yeah there are always people in the SU bars, during the day a lot of people go there in between lectures and in the evenings there will be special nights and stuff sometimes.

a lot of people do use freshers wk as an excuse to get drunk all the time! but not everyone, doesnt really make much difference if you do or you dont, as long as you get out there and mix. go to the freshers fair too to find out and join clubs and societies.
  • Options
    did you not want to go to uni further away?
  • Options
    did you not want to go to uni further away?
    I haven't, no. I'm not really keen to move away. It's partly laziness tbh. A bit late now anyway.
  • Options

lol I go there, have my lessons and come home and do my own thing :P

I cant really compare but school was better in one way but not in another

Gives you experience and skills which you will need as you will have to be your own boss of everything at some point

Yup

No one cares but you kind of get labelled, eg. If someone never turns up and cba working you wont want to pick them to work with you in a group work

Monday 10-1
    Tues day off
    Wed 9-1
    Thurs 9-4
    Fri 10-11 and 10-3 every other week

everyone enjoying uni cept me, maybe because I dont drink, party or get high but meh small price to pay to keep myself intact :P Besides the work is more than enough to occupy me ^^

I met a few people, only 1 or 2 are ok and I mainly chill with 1 person but now he never comes in lol.
    Guess you just have to try it for yourself to see what its really like, im finding it ok now though.

Hope that helps lol
  • Options
    Timetables vary hugely on what your studying.

I live in a house of engineers and scientists and all of us do 20 - 30 hours timetabled a week and then a fair bit more on private study.

However we do adhere to work hard, play hard policy and get stupidly drunk every weekend.

I think halls are part of the experiance, much as I hated them I did make some very good friends there I don't think I would have been friends with otherwise.