Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

up northness

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    york is full to the brim of tourists

I live here I think I would know better than you somehow.
  • Options
    Typical plastic northerner missing the point, pah! Not like us real Northerners that have a sense of humour ;) . It's gritty stuff round ere.

Unless Manchester/Liverpool breeds placcy northerners then I would suggest your wrong.
  • Options
    Unless Manchester/Liverpool breeds placcy northerners then I would suggest your wrong.

well they inbreed with the welsh occasionally, good thing its the north welsh as well, cause if it was the south, we'd all be in trouble

/end sarcasm
  • Options
    I live here I think I would know better than you somehow.

well how come everytime i go there im surrounded by tourists?
  • Options
    your mums on the game and your dads in the nick,
    you cant get a job coz your too fucking thick,
    in your nothern slums, in your northern slums

(just thought i'd add something to the topic, even if it does offend half the people on this messgae board)
  • Options
    Leeds is quite diverse, so I don't feel out of place at all (being not from round here), which makes it my favourite.
    Mind you, I don't in Bradford, because it's full of loons. Splendid.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well how come everytime i go there im surrounded by tourists?
    That could mean you are also a tourist....
    *shuts up*
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    you cant get a job coz your too fucking thick

HA, Pot-Kettle anyone? :p
  • Options
    That could mean you are also a tourist....
    *shuts up*

i know
  • Options
    Like most citys York has most of its tourists in a very limited number of places. It is much the same way as Chester is. A tourist will see lots of other tourists. A local will see the city.
  • Options
    but still having the city centre full of tourists, does mean that york is a tourist city

much like durham is, but cause durham is soo tiny they are everywhere
  • Options
    Try living halls right next door to the cutty sark and across the road from the greenwich market, you can't move for tourist.
  • Options
    Aww dont diss the south kids. We have delightful places like Essex:p incidently I quite like living here although I do get hugely polluted from the 45687349056730498 buses on oxford road. Northerners are a damn sight friendlier than Southerners. it's cheaper. Except for rain the weather is alright. And you say funny things like "scallies" and eat chips and gravy. Oh and "barm cakes" hehe
  • Options
    Jesus wept! Of course York's a tourist city.

Whenever I'm out on the piss and I meet backpackers they've always just been to York Minster and the Jorvik Viking Centre (woohoo!). It's a total cliche in terms of Northern day-tripping, too and has always been full of OAP bus trips when I've been.

Not that that makes it an awful place, Bomberman, in fact it's quite the opposite. I adore York, but your insistence that you know it's not tourist-heaven is bordering on being obtuse.
  • Options
    I like the south, it just get very busy in Greenwich during the weekends around the university.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Jesus wept! Of course York's a tourist city.

Whenever I'm out on the piss and I meet backpackers they've always just been to York Minster and the Jorvik Viking Centre (woohoo!). It's a total cliche in terms of Northern day-tripping, too and has always been full of OAP bus trips when I've been.

Not that that makes it an awful place, Bomberman, in fact it's quite the opposite. I adore York, but your insistence that you know it's not tourist-heaven is bordering on being obtuse.

is that like the opposite of acute, like i learned in primary school with obtuse and acute angles?
  • Options
    Having tourist attractions in the city does not on its own mean it is full of tourists. Blackpool is a tourist town. It bases most of its buisness on tourism. York is not a tourist city. York does not have most of its buisnesses relying soley on money taken in from tourism.

I would think that is very simple.

Selby has the Selby abbey. Does that make Selby a tourist town? I will not accept that the majority of people in York city centre are tourists. Dealing with people at work, it is fairly obvious the proportion of people in the town centre that are tourists and they are in the minority, compared to Blackpool where everybody is.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    is that like the opposite of acute, like i learned in primary school with obtuse and acute angles?

Yes. But I didn't mean it in that way.

Look it up, Gareth. :p
  • Options
    I'd argue that Blackpool bases a lot of its businesses on Hedonism, actually. :p

You'd think attracting tourism was a bad thing.
  • Options
    Every city has tourist attractions. Doesn't mean the city itself is nesscesarily a tourist city.
  • Options
    Nonetheless, York is a city where tourists would choose to go...whereas one like bradford really really isn't.
  • Options
    Im sure even Bradford has some tourist attractions. I have been there before for a day.
  • Options
    The museum of film and photography.
  • Options
    Every city has tourist attractions. Doesn't mean the city itself is nesscesarily a tourist city.
    Im sure even Bradford has some tourist attractions. I have been there before for a day.

so your first point means that bradford isnt necessarily a tourist city, many people go "to york", it is a tourist city, theres lots to do there, and a lot of people want to go there to see the place

where as, i might add, bradford does have tourist attractions, it really does cause even i have been there, but people tend to go to "the attractions" rather than visit bradford as a place, well thats what i think anyway

i would tell you my mildly amusing story about when i went into a bradford bar, and got told i was standing on the wrong end of the bar to get served for white people, but its too long and it might scare the children
  • Options
    come on man, York is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the country, i bet its in the top 5 places visited in england, i havent checked but im sure it is. and thats tourists from all over the world as well as the rest of the country. We went on a school trip to york ffs, not to any specific attractions, just to spend the day.

You are right about blackpool, it does focus heavily on tourism too, but that doesnt mean that thats it, there are other business in blackpool other than tourism ones, so that arguement doesnt stand up.
  • Options
    It's more historical than touristy. People go to visit York because of the historical significance (Vikings etc) whereas something like Blackpool people go to the theme park bit?
    Does that make sense?

I think in the summer there will be more tourists in York, Bomberman you can't say there aren't many tourists in York, there are whole coachloads of people with cameras around their neck queueing to get into Betty's Tearooms!
  • Options
    aye it is historical, but isnt that why the tourists come? to nitpick hah

i can never understand why that betty's place gets so bloody busy, whats that about? you can get a brew and a cake anywhere. not been in myself, so maybe im missing out on some orgasmic experience, but everytime i walk past im like, what you doing people. is it famous for sometghing?
  • Options
    Lol I meant that tourists come because it's historical! When I think of a 'tourist attraction' it sounds like something that's been put there specifically to draw tourists ... historical stuff seems to draw them anyway.

I have no idea what the obsession is with Betty's, very strange...
  • Options

Don't make me laugh! Bradford and York are not comparable in terms of tourism.

I've been to Betty's Tearooms (twice, I'm not ashamed!) and it's not up to much really.
  • Options
    School trips are irrelevant. I went to Chester loads just because of the history in school. There is nowhere near York that has the same amount of history or educational value.

However I fail to see how people who come on day trips to York really have the place to call it a tourist city and say I don't know what I am talking about. It has no more tourists most of the time than any other city I have ever been to. The only exceptions are when an event is here, like our christmas market or the races and this applies to anywhere that a big event is held.

I wouldn't nesscesarily assume that because there are lots of people here that are foreign that means they are tourists. York uni has a very large proportion of foreign students.

The other point I would argue is York is quite a large city compared to other nearby places and a lot of people come here regularly for shopping and I would not count those as tourists.

Bettys is just one part of York. The city centre itself here is very large and you can find tourists in only a handful of places usually. If it was a tourist city the whole place would be crawling with them.

Either way, do you prefer the weather today? Very sunny but at this time of year here that means very cold.