Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Respect?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    In "the good old days" it wasn't minor authority figures that kept hooligans in check, it was the knowledge that if they pissed anyone of too much, they'd get a slap. Now the law has stepped in to protect both half of the equation, you have disempowered law abiding people and protected criminals.

I definitely agree with you on this point. I the "good old days" if a kid was doing wrong, any adult could tell them off. Try doing that nowadays and you'll end up with a mouthful of abuse. That's why I suggested the community officers thing, to act as a solver of crappy little things like this and free up police time to tackle serious crime.
  • Options
    That won't work, because it takes power away from the people who need it to defend themselves and puts it into the hands of the kind of person who applies for those sorts of jobs.

Failed policemen, lovers of authority over others, the mindlessly helpful etc.

The police do nothing useful. Unles you think revenge is useful, that is.
  • Options
    Respect

Your thoughts on the governments new Respect campaign?

Respect is always earned.
  • Options
    Mr. Miyagi wrote:
    Respect is always earned.

I think it would be much better if respect was always lost. i.e. people automatically have respect for someone else, unless their actions cause them to lose that respect.
  • Options
    With ASBO the burden of proof is much lower. That is why they love it so much. It's also why so many of us are wary of them.
    which is why it's so wrong.
    The other part of yesterdays announcement was the little titbits tucked away in the speech. References to moving away from "innocent until proven guilty" to instant justice and appeal. That is fundamentally wrong IMHO.
    Funny how politicians claim to love their country, but seem all too happy to move away from it's principles.
  • Options
    the more I hang round this site and the more articles I read from the bbc the more it seems like Britain has an unhealthy preoccupation with "anti social behavior". I just flat out don't get it, there seems to be an entire set of laws and rules for people that don't carry themselves right. This new legislation is a perfect example of it.

if there is a crack house in the neighborhood the cops kick down the door and arrest people, if college kids are playing music too loud they get a noise complaint, if you punch someone on the street you get charged with assault in the 4th degree (I have no idea what the British equivalent to that is). It's all pretty simple, why have a whole area of law dedicated to "anti social behavior"?
    sooo many of us brits are that busy warning you yanks about your government that we aint rrealy seeing whats happening in our own house mate!
    big brother is seriously taking over.
    if memory serves me right ...the british re now the most watched people on earth.
    cameras everywhere man!
    all manner of stupid and scary laws and rules and guidelines coming in.
    the word marriage is being removed from marriage registry offices ...in case it offends any puffs. the puffs i know are gobsmaked by the stupidity of it all.
    xmas trees have to be winter festivle trees in case it offends none xtrians ...

the place is getting so fucking stupid ...so controlled that america ...actualy might be the land of the free!

what you say is now very closely monitored. what you think is so far ok ...just be very carefull how you transmit it.

1984 is has arrived in the uk ...a bit late but its arrived and guess what?
    the people ...even the educated ones ...have been so fucking dumbed down ...they are actualy welcoming it with open fucking arms!!!!!!! :shocking: :crazyeyes
  • Options
    all too happy to move away from it's principles.

Even telling us that these "nineteenth century" ideals aren't suitable for today's criminals.

Like fuck, those "ideals" are there for a reason FFS
  • Options
    Even telling us that these "nineteenth century" ideals aren't suitable for today's criminals.

Like fuck, those "ideals" are there for a reason FFS
    the term enlightened despotism comes to mind; "sure those principles are good and I believe they are right....but I am not going to use them" :rolleyes: