Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is winfixer 2005 a legit proper program? I have computer porbs and this came up and told me i have 2089 severe problems that need fixing. Says to register to fix them. So should i?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never heard of it..and all that registering stuff is normally a load of BS in my experience.
    Comp, net & tech? You'd get a better answer there.

Where did you get it from?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Comp, net & tech? You'd get a better answer there.

Where did you get it from?

I moved it as soon as i posted, i thought it was there but i wasn't.

I don't know, i didn't download anything it was just kinda here so i was guessing its sumamt to do with IE? *Shrugs*
    From a cursory glance at Google I get the impression that Winfixer is a program you don't want on your computer. Get rid of it.

If you want a spyware remover, use http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en for starters.
    Ok i just went to take it off and i got a message from IE saying...

if your comp has errors in the registry it could be unpredictable etc. Would i like to download winfixer ( reccomended) to fix it
    Tweety wrote:
    Ok i just went to take it off and i got a message from IE saying...

if your comp has errors in the registry it could be unpredictable etc. Would i like to download winfixer ( reccomended) to fix it

Click no.

The message is not from IE, it's from winfixer, which is invasive spyware.

This seems to be the simplest removal tool, though I have never heard of xoftspy and couldn't say whether you would be safe installing that.

This lists more comprehensive removal instructions but requires you to use hijackthis.

Try add/remove programs for winfixer first.
    I use TuneUp Utilities 2006 which is cool.
    everytime i go to a client with a fucked up pc, winfixer is one of the first things i see.

do what was said above ^ and then get mozilla firefox. It'll stop winfixer getting on your computer again
    download xoftspy ...then pm me ...tommorow.
    I used ad-aware to delete it. I think its ok now.
    Get hold of microsoft anti-spyware as well - it's real time protection doesn't case problems and it'll hopefully notice anything that might try to reinstall.
    Jim V wrote:
    Get hold of microsoft anti-spyware as well - it's real time protection doesn't case problems and it'll hopefully notice anything that might try to reinstall.

It doesn't report anything back does it? Like say you had something on your computer that wasn't umm legit lol.
    No.
    Tweety wrote:
    It doesn't report anything back does it? Like say you had something on your computer that wasn't umm legit lol.
    no ...seeing as most of wales is running on the same copy of xp pro ...that updates as well ...i wouldn't think so.
    Ok it isnt sorted now i am getting pop ups about the fucking stuff. I will try some of the stuff u said.
    antispyware is fine to use.

You should also turn off the messenger service (different from MSN messenger) - Google it or I'll go through it tomorrow. Also download AVG anti-virus - the pro trial lasts 30 days and run that.
    Jim V wrote:
    antispyware is fine to use.

You should also turn off the messenger service (different from MSN messenger) - Google it or I'll go through it tomorrow. Also download AVG anti-virus - the pro trial lasts 30 days and run that.

Sorry must have missed this post. I already have AVG. No idea what you are talking about with the messenger thing though.
    Tweety wrote:
    Sorry must have missed this post. I already have AVG. No idea what you are talking about with the messenger thing though.

He means the messenger service.

Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services

Scroll down the list to the service called "messenger"

Double click on it.

Then if it's running click "stop", then change started type to Disabled and click ok.
    Mist wrote:
    He means the messenger service.

Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services

Scroll down the list to the service called "messenger"

Double click on it.

Then if it's running click "stop", then change started type to Disabled and click ok.

Ah ok thanks, its already disabled. :)