Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student Housing vs. Private Housing

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Do any of you have any experience of being a student and not living in a rented property advertised as a student house, i.e. a normal private rented property?

There are only 2 of us looking to live together in either a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom place, and we aren't the "typical student"-more like an old married couple half of the time! Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this.

Oh, and yes I do need to think about this now, just to counter anyone possibly saying I don't need to worry about this kind of thing so early-the student lists around have come out over the last 2 weeks or so.

Thanks, Maria.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i live in a normal private rented property. the landlord is nothing to do with the uni, i take it that's what you mean?? i'll not expand until you clarify whether i'm on the right lines..!
    No, I mean in non-student accommodation. I don't know about anywhere else, but round here there are student houses-in the private sector, but only rented to students, nothing to do with the university. Through letting agents, or directly with the landlord. Thats what I mean about student houses-normal houses rented specifically to students.

In private houses, I mean normal ones that professionals/families/anyone else rents if they aren't owning their house.

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. Its for me and my fiancee, we don't want to be living with anyone else other than the two of us.

Thanks again.
    but my landlord would rent to anyone, regardless of whether they were a student. it's only a student house 'cause it's basic. i know people who aren't students yet live with students in a student house. there doesn't have to be more than 2 of you for you to live in one.
    Sorry, I think I'm being dumb and not understanding exactly because I've explained things so craply.

The thing I'm trying to work out is whether to get a "student house", as the lists of houses to rent to students have come out now, or whether to get a normal house closer to the time. I live in a "student house" now with just the two of us.
    my uni releases a list of approved properties that adhear to saftey regulations and other things, like rent control etc.

generally best to go with a university aproved landlord if possible, or a house that's had previous student occupants, then it's easier to moan and get help if something goes wrong :yes:
    That depends on how you're looking at it.
    'Student Houses' as you seem to be defining them are houses that are released by the university as available to rent to students.

Our house is a student house, but it wasn't on this list, there was just a sign in the window so we rang the number, a la a private landlord. I'm pretty sure he would rent to anyone; it's just basically usually students that want it.
    we found a house, we've got a 5 bedroomed one, it is a student house, but not through the uni, its a private landlord who is specifically for students and its only £55 per week, all bills inclusive, free broadband and free phoneline, its the same landlords as im with now just different house ( im in a flat at the minute).
    i think maria's asking about houses that have nothing at all to do with students though, like ones you see in the paper and stuff that anyone can rent?

if that's the case, my sister rents a house like that with 3 people she works with and everything has been fine for her. she found it easily enough, the landlords always available to help out if there are any problems and it doesn't really work out any more expensive than the student house i live in. it's also in a much nicer area.
    Sorry, I think I'm being dumb and not understanding exactly because I've explained things so craply.

The thing I'm trying to work out is whether to get a "student house", as the lists of houses to rent to students have come out now, or whether to get a normal house closer to the time. I live in a "student house" now with just the two of us.

a student house is only really a student house 'cause like i said, it's a bit basic and there's students living in it. :p

the house that i rent wasn't on a list of approved landlords or anything. he's just a man who owns 2 houses where i live and rents them out to students (mainly 'cause there's the need for them in this area). you could rent off say an estate agents but they'll be more expensive (i should imagine) and being a student, you probably can't afford that.
    Kat_B wrote:
    i think maria's asking about houses that have nothing at all to do with students though, like ones you see in the paper and stuff that anyone can rent?

anyone can rent a student house though, as long as they're not associated with the university. that's what i'd have thought anyhow.
    Mia16 wrote:
    we found a house, we've got a 5 bedroomed one, it is a student house, but not through the uni, its a private landlord who is specifically for students and its only £55 per week, all bills inclusive, free broadband and free phoneline, its the same landlords as im with now just different house ( im in a flat at the minute).

which letting agency are you with? i've only heard of lighthouse (heard they're crap) and clubeasy. i'm going to a housing fair at the delph bar today so hopefully find something...!
    I'd go with student housing personally... Although it can't get much worse than my halls really. lol
    Kat_B wrote:

Thats what I mean. I'm just really crap at explaining myself.

I've lived in a university managed house before, and 2 sets of halls of residence, and now am in a private let. Round here though, the houses let to students are just for the students-you need proof that you are a student from the university to rent them. The problem is there are very few houses around here on these lists of houses for students from the agents of the size we want, because most people rent with 3/4/5/6/7 people. This is why I wondered if anyone had any experience of getting a house out of the paper or something instead.