Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What are you reading at the moment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I know this has been done before (I think by me) but i think its always a good thread to have.

So what are you reading at the moment?

I am reading Martina Cole - Two Women.

Just started it so can't really comment on it, been good so far. :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All 6 Harry Potter books, again, then i thought i might try something else...
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sharon Osbourne - Extreme. It's quite interesting.

Then I have Vikram Seth - Two Lives, The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenger and The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron.
    The Time Traveller's Wife is a wonderful book. I'm reading The Diary of Anne Frank again.
    \
    Last book I read was A.B Guthrie Jr's 'The Big Sky'. I couldn't believe it'd taken me this long to discover it, and it was a great read.

Now I'm re-reading Leonard Cohen's 'Beautiful Losers', and am getting a lot more out of it this time around.

After that I've got 'The Penelopiad' by Margaret Atwood and 'That Old Ace in the Hole' by Annie Proulx lined up. The former shouldn't take me long, it looks like an extremely quick read. But both were Xmas presents, I can't wait to get stuck in!
    TheSite bords :thumb: (or boards even)
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Colin Forbes - The Cauldron.
    I've heard good things about the time travellers wife, so i may very well get that at some point.

At the moment, i'm finishing the final volume of great expectations, then it's straight into oroonoko by Aphra Behn.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon - again.
    Labyrinth - kate mosse

but i'll prob finish that tonight then i'll need another trip to book shop. buy a load to last me to end of month. I normally read a book per week. two if its a big one.
    Molly moon - time travel.

Not recreationally - have to review the book.

Clive Cussler - Pacific Vortex.

The latter I highly recommend. It is one of the most fascinating novels I have ever read. Very well written, high standard of english and very mysterious.
    Lirael - Garth Nix

Second part of the Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorson series. Sabriel was awesome, Lirael is proving to be just as good >_<

I recomend them. Especially if you've read Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy :yes:
    Finished Death and the penguin and im a third of the way through of sabriel, brilliant book, although pullman is better
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Especially if you've read Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy :yes:

Read those 4 years ago. Really stimulating as I was 10 then. :lol:

Somehow my English is awful on these boards. I'm probably not good in writing in first person perhaps - or my terrible social skills. I try so hard though.

Good it doesn't happen outside the boards.

The other Pullman books are crap though.
    quarfly wrote:

:no: Not true (though he's a friend of my Mummy's so I'm biased ;) )
    quarfly wrote:
    Read those 4 years ago. Really stimulating as I was 10 then. :lol:

Somehow my English is awful on these boards. I'm probably not good in writing in first person perhaps - or my terrible social skills. I try so hard though.

Good it doesn't happen outside the boards.

they're great :)
    Hunter S Thompson-Hells Angels

Fear and Loathing was just too good so I had to get another one his works, this one is good so far too. This man is or was a brilliant author.
    turlough wrote:
    This man is or was a brilliant author.

Was, and I agree. :yes:

Supposedly a film's being made of The Rum Diary, fingers crossed.
    I currently have 3 on the go -

The Anarchists in the Spanish Civil War Vol 1 by Robert Alexander
    The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton
    Drugs and Addictive Behaviour by Hamid Ghodse

Hmmmm...maybe I need a novel for light relief...
    A picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde.

Quite enjoying it so far.
    Cazzoo wrote:
    A picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde.

I think it might be my favourite book of all-time, must read it again soon (thanks for the reminder there)!
    John le Carre - The Constant Gardener
    Watership Down
    Catch 22 (STILL)
    Hamlet
    I'm reading 'Its Called A Breakup Because Its Broken: The Smart Girls Breakup Buddy' by Greg Behrendt & Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt.

Haha! My Mum got it me for Christmas. I'm not one for self-help books but its sooo good and not at all cheesy :D

I'm also re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
    the transportation of hazordus waste by ...the environment agency.
    the safe handling and disposal of asbestos by the health and safety executive.
    signing of vehicles carrying hazardous waste by the ministry of sodding transport.
    realy gripping stuff.
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Lirael - Garth Nix

Second part of the Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorson series. Sabriel was awesome, Lirael is proving to be just as good >_<

I recomend them. Especially if you've read Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy :yes:

Yeah ...I loved those books, dark materials and abhorsen etc...

Reading one called 'the ragwitch' atm (also by garth nix) ... nothing like a bit of escapism ;p
    turlough wrote:
    This man is or was a brilliant author.
    Was, his suicide note was simply- 'Counsellor' Noone has been able to figure out what he meant by it, or why he used the American spelling of it.

I'm reading:
    Julian May-Ironcrown Moon
    Julian May-The Many Coloured Land
    Aldous Huxley-Brave New World
    I've just finished reading The Diary of a Manhatten Call Girl by Tracey Quan. Just about to Start Jordans Biography then I'm going to read the time travellers wife.
    I am currently reading principia discordia :)
    JS Mill - On Liberty. I dip into this book all the time, a lucid and stirring defence of the liberty of the individual against the power of government and society.

George Orwell - Essays. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. Orwell has a mastery of common english unrivalled by any other 20th century author. His essays are funny, relevant and brilliant to dip in and out of.

Timothy Garton Ash - Free World. A passionate defence of free trade, enviromentalism and close relations between the US and Europe.

Jim Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath. My current novel. Not read that much of it yet but Steinbecks writing style is fantastic.
    Have just finished Goodbye Dearest Holly by Kevin Wells. About the Soham murders and Ian Huntley from the fathers point of view. I was actually really gripped to this book (I've read a couple of this type, inlcuding the Sarah Payne one written by her mother, and Sabine Dardenne's account of her ordeal) and although I enjoyed the other two (if enjoyed is the word) I literally carried the Holly Wells one everywhere - upstairs, downstairs, to my boyfriends, in the car, to college....
    I think I need some lighter reading now though, so I'm hoping to buy The Undomestic Goddess from ASDA later, using my EMA (if it's come through...)