Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Respect?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Respect

Your thoughts on the governments new Respect campaign?

Comments

• Options
    when there's no mutual 'respect' back, just the expectation of unquestionable obedience, i can quite happily say i don't mind the current state of things in terms of how young people see adults

that victor meldrew syndrome strikes again i believe

was this child being disrespectful then for asking for the same freedom of movement as adults? imo this boy acted in a adult fashion by opposing this pointless and facist law
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4699095.stm
  • Options
    Respeck.

Boyakasha, etc.
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    God Becky, just like grow up will ya.
    This is the Politics forum. Serious shit.

Hahahahaaa.

Is it coz I is blonde?!
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know who picks up the bill for people made homeless :chin:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Young people are getting some grief these days. Apparently everybody who's a hoody and hangs around in groups should be considered a yob and dangerous.
    Lock 'em up and give 'em an ASBO. That'll sort it. :yeees:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well Tony Blair is going to have to organise that, although its unlikely people are going to be made homeless

True but the possibility is there as stated. Seems crazy as there is existing legislation to deal with noise complaints etc.
  • Options
    He's still trying to get rid of that pesky burden of proof I notice.

First they came for the.......
  • Options
    it is true that sometimes a small group of people can make life hell for ordinary people.

And all too often they're allowed to get away with their behaviour unchallenged so they keep on doing it.

Even just going into a Burger King last week late at night when no other place was opened these lads ordered their food but then proceeded to insult all the other customers, who were just minding their own business and trying to order food.

Respect is the perfect word to describe what they didn't have for others.
  • Options
    it is true that sometimes a small group of people can make life hell for ordinary people.

And all too often they're allowed to get away with their behaviour unchallenged so they keep on doing it.

Even just going into a Burger King last week late at night when no other place was opened these lads ordered their food but then proceeded to insult all the other customers, who were just minding their own business and trying to order food.

Yeah thats true, something should be done to tackle such behavure.

However Respect is also the perfect word to describe what Tony blaire dosnt have for the truth, the electorate, and well anything realy apart from his own ego.
  • Options

you can remove people from shops you know, it's a persons unwillingness to challenge them that is the problem

they aren't doing anything wrong enough to be illegal, and im sure they'd be out still even if there was a curfew, simply because you only happen to see police where people shop and spend money strangely enough
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    He's still trying to get rid of that pesky burden of proof I notice.

First they came for the.......

What really worries me is how often you and I agree...
  • Options
    What really worries me is how often you and I agree...

it's called principles :yes:
  • Options
    Is it not weird, that he is naming a policy after a politcal party.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    "The real respect agenda must be based on optimism about the ability of people and communities to create civilised lives for themselves, rather than a pessimistic view of human nature."

This from the CONSERVATIVE leader... so the Conservatives and LAbour have swapped ground?! WTF!

Oh dear. What a royal mess.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Is it not weird, that he is naming a policy after a politcal party.

:D - it confuses me as well at times.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    :D - it confuses me as well at times.

Well imagine how confusing it is for George Galloway...
  • Options
    Galloway won't know anything about it. He is locke din the Big Brother house.
  • Options
    Respect

Your thoughts on the governments new Respect campaign?

"Knee-jerk populism" is exactly what this is.

This whole "Respect" nonsense is utterly cringeworthy as well. Respect? How is any of this going to promote "respect"? :confused:
  • Options
    the more I hang round this site and the more articles I read from the bbc the more it seems like Britain has an unhealthy preoccupation with "anti social behavior". I just flat out don't get it, there seems to be an entire set of laws and rules for people that don't carry themselves right. This new legislation is a perfect example of it.

if there is a crack house in the neighborhood the cops kick down the door and arrest people, if college kids are playing music too loud they get a noise complaint, if you punch someone on the street you get charged with assault in the 4th degree (I have no idea what the British equivalent to that is). It's all pretty simple, why have a whole area of law dedicated to "anti social behavior"?
  • Options
    because theres so many things that someone can easily get away with, and there be no evidence against them

like shouting abuse at someone, throwing rocks at cars, whatever it is. if they do it right then they can just flatly deny all knowledge, and they need to be caught in the act by the police, before anything will be done about them
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    because theres so many things that someone can easily get away with, and there be no evidence against them

like shouting abuse at someone, throwing rocks at cars, whatever it is. if they do it right then they can just flatly deny all knowledge, and they need to be caught in the act by the police, before anything will be done about them
    that is what the law is supposed to be. You can't start leveling charges unless you have some sort of proof (i.e. see them doing it, or some other form of evidence). I mean shit, if these "anti social behavior" laws are meant to get around that, they're just flat out unethical.
  • Options
    im just not getting accross cause im not wording it right

think of it more of someone terrorising the neighbourhood, they can do all sorts of small things that make someones life a living hell, or even many things to many people

and yet they get caught each time and get a slap on the wrist, because its nothing too bad in the eyes of the law, its a solution to stop this
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:
    im just not getting accross cause im not wording it right

think of it more of someone terrorising the neighbourhood, they can do all sorts of small things that make someones life a living hell, or even many things to many people

and yet they get caught each time and get a slap on the wrist, because its nothing too bad in the eyes of the law, its a solution to stop this

Quite. I am not sure if this new proposal is the right way to do it. If it does stop this Anti Social Behaviour, goodo. I bet it will be rather flawed and shit like most of their policy though... there's only one thing for it!

VIGILANTE MOB! Who's with me? :D
  • Options
    if there is a crack house in the neighborhood the cops kick down the door and arrest people, if college kids are playing music too loud they get a noise complaint, if you punch someone on the street you get charged with assault in the 4th degree (I have no idea what the British equivalent to that is). It's all pretty simple, why have a whole area of law dedicated to "anti social behavior"?

For those kind of crimes we do have laws already in place and the politicians often forget that. We also have something called "Breach of the Peace" which would cover many of the minor annoyances.

The problem with that is the burden of proof because it means that there needs to be sufficient evidence to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that the scrote in front of the judge is the guilty one.

With ASBO the burden of proof is much lower. That is why they love it so much. It's also why so many of us are wary of them.

The other part of yesterdays announcement was the little titbits tucked away in the speech. References to moving away from "innocent until proven guilty" to instant justice and appeal. That is fundamentally wrong IMHO.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how much proof you need for an ASBO, but I would imagine you would need a fair bit of witness reports etc to convict someone. But I think the idea behind it is rather than trying to charge them with numerous petty crimes which would take tonnes of paperwork and man hours, you can just charge them with a single offence and save time.

Personally, I think we need more community officers and lower level authority figures like that. There's no point paying for thousands of £20-£30k a year police officers, if all they're gonna be doing is filling out paperwork about someone being abusive on a bus, for example. Whereas there used to be a bus conductor to handle this type of thing, now it seems that such cases have to be handled by the police, or (more often) not bothered with. Better to have more local level police figures for things like this. It might even bring police back into the community and if people see a police presence or think that they won't get away with things (whether the policing is actually more effective or not), then they wont try them in the first place.
  • Options
    Ohh yeah great idea Mr Blair!

Just kick all the problem children and those with hidden disabilities like Touettes, ADHD and Aspergers on to the streets!
    -Youth opportunity cards giving discounts on activities for youngsters doing voluntary work
    - New mentoring schemes, including one using top class athletes
    - Local councils to have to put family support networks in place

I like these ideas however, I just don't think making people homeless, especially children who are robably vulnerable and need someone to help tem on the street is a good idea.
  • Options
    the more I hang round this site and the more articles I read from the bbc the more it seems like Britain has an unhealthy preoccupation with "anti social behavior". I just flat out don't get it, there seems to be an entire set of laws and rules for people that don't carry themselves right. This new legislation is a perfect example of it.

That was my first thought when I read this. It's like there's this desperate desire for everybody to conform. The UK is at least not the most appealing of places I could think of moving to or raising my kids in.

Laws don't create respect.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how much proof you need for an ASBO, but I would imagine you would need a fair bit of witness reports etc to convict someone. But I think the idea behind it is rather than trying to charge them with numerous petty crimes which would take tonnes of paperwork and man hours, you can just charge them with a single offence and save time.

Th level of evidence is that of a civil case. i.e. if the magistrate doesn't like the look of you on the day, then your guilty.

The penalties for it are criminal.

Fair?
    Personally, I think we need more community officers and lower level authority figures like that.

Jesus.
    There's no point paying for thousands of £20-£30k a year police officers, if all they're gonna be doing is filling out paperwork about someone being abusive on a bus, for example.

You were dong so well.....the first half of the sentence works really well. There's no point paying for thousands of £20-£30k a year police officers I agree with. Just get rid of the lot of them and get something accountable in instead.

In "the good old days" it wasn't minor authority figures that kept hooligans in check, it was the knowledge that if they pissed anyone of too much, they'd get a slap. Now the law has stepped in to protect both half of the equation, you have disempowered law abiding people and protected criminals.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Jesus.

Yeah he'd probably sort things out. :D
  • Options
    :lol:

Good one!