Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

up northness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does the North ever get sunlight? It's so grey and yuck here, and a bit rainy. I don't think I've seen it be sunny since I got here.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol i was in sheffield during the weekend and wondered the same thing.. was glad to get back to london.. its still miserable here but its just awful up north..
    Does the North ever get sunlight? It's so grey and yuck here, and a bit rainy. I don't think I've seen it be sunny since I got here.

Hush down. It gets far worse in York than this!? It's just a bit of rain. It will also be far sunnier here in summer than it will be where I come from. Plus this is much warmer than last year. Don't be so NESH!
    atz wrote:
    was glad to get back to london..

Can you see the sun through all that smog? :p

And your North is really the middle. True North is the Highlands and it gets loads of sun. How do you think we manage to breed all them haggis without sun?
    It's just miserable here - it doesn't seem to get properly light at all and then it's dark by 4pm!

Do they breed lots of haggis up north then? running around on the hills! hehe
    we get some alright weather up here, just last couple of weeks its been a bit dark and rainy, but i think its same everywhere at the moment aint it.

anyway north = greatness.
    it was sunny in huddersfield yesterday but now it is weeing lots from the sky :(
    Can you see the sun through all that smog? :p

And your North is really the middle. True North is the Highlands and it gets loads of sun. How do you think we manage to breed all them haggis without sun?

That is what I was thinking. You guys are in the middle. Britain doesn't end when it reaches the top end of England you know.
    I know it doesn't!
    I was just bemoaning the greyness and lack of sun. Everyone refers to York as 'oop north' so I did as well. Ah well. I'll shut the curtains and it will go away.
    Was just saying. Anyway its grey here too.
    koe_182 wrote:
    anyway north = greatness.

Agreed.
    lol yeah ok...
    gawd i dont want to move to sheffield...
    Agreed.

Also agreed.

The changeable, unreliable, often godawful weather is part of Northern England's character imo. It's something for us to grumble about too...there's nowt much else because the North is so utterly fabulous.

Weather is the least of Southerners' problems. :p;)
    yeah i dont like shandy, and i like gravy on my chips. im happy where i am.
    Its a scientific fact that its "Grim oop North" If you drive from the south to scotland as I have a a fair few times, you will notice that all the buildings have a layer of grim on them when you get oop north and this only reciedes as you approach the border.
    but dont you feel miserable because of the weather???
    atz wrote:
    lol i was in sheffield during the weekend and wondered the same thing.. was glad to get back to london.. its still miserable here but its just awful up north..
    No way, Sheffield is constantly beautiful.
    atz wrote:

Do you not feel like you're choking on the smog?
    Nobody lives more north than I do.
    Everyone refers to York as 'oop north' so I did as well

York is too posh (i.e has tourists!) to be considered the Proper North anyway.
    No way, Sheffield is constantly beautiful.
    Sheffield is many things, beautiful it is not. It is grimy - especially Brightside.
    It's just miserable here - it doesn't seem to get properly light at all and then it's dark by 4pm!

it's dark by 4pm everywhere.

it's january.
    Originally Posted by atz

no, your a puff if the weather gets you down. The norths great, never really understood whats so great about down south everytime i've visited i've been extremly bored.

guess it must be the fact i live in a place where theres probably more pubs then people, at least it seems it nowadays
    The weather is a bif naff today.
    Robot_Alan wrote:
    The norths great

I have to disagree here. You would feel the same if you had 6 years of bad weather experience.
    Robot_Alan wrote:
    no, your a puff if the weather gets you down. The norths great, never really understood whats so great about down south everytime i've visited i've been extremly bored.

guess it must be the fact i live in a place where theres probably more pubs then people, at least it seems it nowadays

There're shit bits of the north, and shit bits of the south.

Seaside towns are fucking awful everywhere, though.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sheffield is many things, beautiful it is not. It is grimy - especially Brightside.

Sheffield ain't that bad. Brightside is crap, as are other parts but you get that in any city. I love Sheffield City Centre, and once they finish the renovations it will be fantastic. I would also prefer to live in Sheffield than London.
    I love Sheffield City Centre, and once they finish the renovations it will be fantastic. I would also prefer to live in Sheffield than London.

I spent a bit of time in Sheffield last year and I think it was alright. But, I just love Yorkshire. :D

I'd have to be desperately stupid to want to move down south.
    I spent a bit of time in Sheffield last year and I think it was alright. But, I just love Yorkshire. :D

I'd have to be desperately stupid to want to move down south.

I would hate to live in the south. I wouldn't mind the midlands but I like where I am :)
    atz wrote:

nope. im in the north and yeah its a bit grey but it's just the way it is in winter! can't wait for some summer sun, but greyness doesnt depress me.
    Kat_B wrote:
    nope. im in the north and yeah its a bit grey but it's just the way it is in winter! can't wait for some summer sun, but greyness doesnt depress me.

See, at this time of the year I reckon *everywhere* is kinda grey. Nowt to do with geography.
    See, at this time of the year I reckon *everywhere* is kinda grey. Nowt to do with geography.

:yes: i was in bournemouth this time last year and it was grey there too.. and rained. and was cold. yeah it had a beach but it didn't make it sunny! i guess greyness is what you get for living in the UK.