Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How Many of You Still Only Have Analouge TV?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Those of you in Scotland are gonna be the first to have the Analouge signal switched off (as per the time table below)

2008 – Border
2009 – HTV Wales, West Country, Granada
2010 – Grampian, HTV West, Scottish TV
2011 – Anglia, Central, Yorkshire
2012 – Carlton/LWT, Meridian, Tyne Tees, Ulster

http://www.digitalhomemag.com/features/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37359&subsectionid=1300&subsubsectionid=1597

So how many still only have the basic channels 1 to 5?

We've got several freeview boxes and Sky TV.

It's still shocking how few TV's being sold in the shops only have Analouge Tuners built in.. anyone in scotland seeing more freeview TV's on sale since you'll be the first to lose your Analouge signal?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know that does my head in. We were looking for one of those little LCD TV's last year, and you can't get one with a digital tuner at all. They're like gold dust. They make them, but only about 3 models in the whole country, and they disappear as soon as they can make them. It'd be like selling petrol cars when we were switching over to hydrogen (when's that happening by the way?).

I don't mind the analogue switch off, as long as they sort out the signals soon enough. I'm sick of the TV signal breaking up every time we have a bit of rain. And when digital TV breaks up, you can't just put up with the fuzzy picture like you can with analogue.
    digital tv is only that bad cause they aint transmitting at anywhere near the capacity they could, due to the fact they still run an analogue signal alongside it
    Ive got channels 1-4 we arent able to get 5 in my area
    I know that does my head in. We were looking for one of those little LCD TV's last year, and you can't get one with a digital tuner at all. They're like gold dust. They make them, but only about 3 models in the whole country, and they disappear as soon as they can make them. It'd be like selling petrol cars when we were switching over to hydrogen (when's that happening by the way?).

I don't mind the analogue switch off, as long as they sort out the signals soon enough. I'm sick of the TV signal breaking up every time we have a bit of rain. And when digital TV breaks up, you can't just put up with the fuzzy picture like you can with analogue.

Yeah all these set top boxes are a bit stupid really..

The tuner's should be built into the TV's in the first place by now.

They doreckon once the analouge signal is turned off they can boost the digital one, but also people need to do some work in their own homes and get better antennas, signal boosters and also better wiring helps as well, i.e. replacing the old style coax cables with CT100 satelitte cables (i.e. with an extra silver foil layer) can make all the difference.

But really how dumb is it that the government want us to switch but the vast majority of what's available to buy is still analouge TV's and the few digital ones cost loads more, certainly more then the £30 it costs to buy a set top box.

In the mean time most people are stuck with two different remote controls, etc. Adding extra hassle and it's a big waste of electricity powering up two device compared to an all in one device.
    We still have analogue tv. I don't see the point in getting digital for my student house. Dad has digital at home though, and Mum has a freeview box.
    at my mums where i spend half my time we only have analogue, 1 - 5, at my gf's we have a didgibox but can't use it as her communal arial is to bad and council is shite.
    Hellfire wrote:
    at my mums where i spend half my time we only have analogue, 1 - 5, at my gf's we have a didgibox but can't use it as her communal arial is to bad and council is shite.

They might not have a wideband antenna onthe roof so it might not even be picking up the signals inthe first place or if it is their singal distribution system might not be pass along the frequencies freeview is being sent on.
    Got sky in the living room but just normal TV in my bedroom.
    I've got sky in my bedroom, and we have it downstairs aswell, my brother just has normal TV in his room though.
    I remember when i was little and we had sky before it was all digital and what not and there only used to be about 40 channels, and i was like wow yeah nickoledeon best thing ever :p, now there is just too much crap to choose from.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    We dont have digital. But aren't they soon doing only digital (well, planning to). I think I heard something aobut it. Ghey ;/
    If you watch ano then switch to digital its like an instan replay.

I just made ano up pretty good eh?
    We have a digital set downstairs and a freeview box upstairs.

There's a fairly hefty premium though for getting digital recievers in things like DVRs and the like. Bit annoying really.
    We have analogue at home, none of our TVs are recent enough to have digital in them! In our area we don't get channel 5, and freeview boxes don't work. I'd like to have digital, but hey ho what canya do. My dad refuses to get sky, and I don't think he would let us have a digibox even if we needed to. He is a bit anti-everything tbh.
    we have analogue at home still.. gonna get a freeview box soonish i think but we wouldnt really use it..
    All the Tv's in our house are still only analouge, my dad refuses to get Sky/Cable or digital... I'm getting a freeview box for my room though..