Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Singles sites, and how long before you ask them out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi all,
I don't know how many of you have tried using the Singles sites. But i've been on a few of them for a few months now (mainly because i don't have time to pick someone up in a pub or club and what are the chances that you find someone compatible there), without much luck i might add. All the women on there seem to say that they want someone who has never been married before. Just because someones been married doesn't make them damaged goods.
Anyway getting back on track. I've exchanged emails with a few people but not really gone anywhere (after talking to them their more friend materail then girlfriend, future partner). But that was untill 4days ago, i read one profile and it was completely orginal not like any of the others, and it made me laugh and smile. So i paid the fee so i could email this girl.
We've now been emailing and talking on MSN since then. She sounds like all i'm looking for, we have some interests that are similar or the same, shes funny, very smart, into the theatre and arts. But due to both mine and her work loads we're both very busy people, plus shes revising for some exams to do with her work.
I'd like to ask her out somewhere we can both enjoy (drink, shopping, see a show, or art gallery). But as we've only spoken on via MSN and email for 4days would you say that its too soon? Also where would you recommend going for a first date? Its kind of a blind date but we have seen a photo of each other.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Youngbull, I actually met my current boyfriend (we are still going strong a year later) on a singles site and we where talking to each other daily via email for about a month before we met up. This was mainly due to the fact that i went home for the christmas holidays (during which I went away for a week, so we could not email each other then). But within the first week or so I could tell we had so much in common, it was just such a shame we meet just before Christmas and we had already planned our holidays.

On our first date, when I got back to halls, we just decided to meet up for a couple of drinks in central London. Somewhere quiet so that we could just talk to each other and discover if we really did have as much in common as we thought. That way if it went well we could then get something to eat or ifit went wrong we could just go after the drink. Well we really hit it off, but my boyfriend had to go after a couple of drinks as some family stuff had come up during the day, but he did tell me this when he first arrived at the bar.

Like you we had only seen a photo of each other, I would recommend going somewhere where you can talk to each other such as a quiet bar that does not play loud music. As for if it is too soon only you can really answer that, by judging how you to interact over msn and via email.

But one word of warning, my boyfriend had meet up with a couple of girls before me and they where nothing like how they where in thier emails, they had a completely different personality etc. That was one of the things he liked about me, that I was just like my personality in real life was just like how I was in my emails.

How this helps, sorry I can't be more helpful about where to take her on the first date, as I don't Portsmouth.
  • Options
    thanks for your reply. Yeah i was thinking along the same lines about a quiet drink somewhere. She lives about 22miles from me, was thinking if we met up it would either be there or london as we both like going up there.
  • Options
    Well if you are going up to London try round Leicester Square or Covent Garden there are lots of good bars in that area where you can just sit down and enjoy a drink.

I live about 45 minutes away from my boyfriend either by tube when I'm up in halls or by car when I'm back home, it could have been worse I had people from all over Kent and London leaving me messages, I had one person who was about 200 miles away, he seemed really nice, but as I do not currently have a car. Its not worth it as I live just round the conner from a DLR station, so I can be in central London in 15 minutes, I decided it would not be fair on him.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    Well if you are going up to London try round Leicester Square or Covent Garden there are lots of good bars in that area where you can just sit down and enjoy a drink.

Yeah the Portter House and Maple leaf in covent garden are really nice. or Waxies and Waxies little sister
  • Options
    I would say, try to meet them fairly soon - if you don't someone else may invite them first.

Obviously meet in a public place for your own safety (and that applies to men as well as women).

Also I think the disappointment will be much less when it doesn't work out if you have spent a long time building up your hopes.

Meeting place doesn't have to be a pub - if it's a nice day then a walk can be a very pleasant thing.
  • Options
    i first discovered my boyfriend on faceparty, and then chatted on msn for a few weeks before deciding to meet up. 4 days would have been a bit soon for me, even if we got on great over msn, I even worried a few weeks was a bit soon tbh, but it felt right. I made sure i gave addresses and phone numbers of where i was going to my mum and my friend before i went.
  • Options
    hi guys, i've got another question on this one. I like this girl and we seem to be getting on. I want to let her know that i'm seperated and getting a devorce but how can i do this without a) scaring her off and b)not sounding like damaged goods.

Would it bother any of you if you were getting to know someone and then find out they are seperated and getting a devorce. And would you thing that their damaged somehow?
  • Options
    It could put some people off, but as you have only been talking for a few days, then I think she will like the fact that you where honest with her. Not sure how you would go about telling her this. I've had no personally experiance.

But when I was looking on line for my boyfriend I must admit that I was only looking for people that had not been married, but then again I was only 20 at the time and I did not think i could handdle any exess baggage.

However if you are both say late 20 or even in your 30s people these days are more willing to expect that you may have been married before. (that was really well worded but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say).
  • Options
    It didnt put me off. Mine is seperated and so am I. I think it really helps/helped that we both know what the other has been through and is going through. Im not sure id be so understanding if i hadnt gone through it myself.
    Theres no point pretending youre not seperated/divorcing etc. If she doesnt understand then shes not that perfect is she?
  • Options
    thanks guys i'll have to give some thought on how i can do it without scaring her off. she's only 21 so 4years younger than me. so not sure if she'd understand or not. i'll talk to her a little more i think
  • Options
    can anyone recommend any genuine singles sites for people round my age (21) that you don't have to pay to see people profiels or message them? A site that dedicated to single people, not just general like faceparty?
  • Options
    loopylove.com
    Girlsdateforfree.com
    matchmeuk.com
    Yahoo
    Match.com
    Dateline.com

but your'll find that you have to pay to send messages or read the messages from most. i registored on a few but only paid if i found someone i really want to talk to.
  • Options
    I'm not entirely sure about singles websites, but having not ever tried them, i wouldn't know...anyway...isn't the point of a singles site to meet people? 4 days might seem like a short space of time, but then again, it's more than likely you won't be arranging anything for the next day, which'll still give a week or more to chat. On telling her you're seperated; i think it's best you do, because y'know rather than scare her off, she'd probably be more annoyed you didn't tell her.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    hi all,
    I don't know how many of you have tried using the Singles sites. But i've been on a few of them for a few months now (mainly because i don't have time to pick someone up in a pub or club and what are the chances that you find someone compatible there),

i think where a lot of people fail, is where they assume they "pick up people"

anyone in their right minds shouldnt think that way, just cause on the off chance a lady might find it degrading
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i think where a lot of people fail, is where they assume they "pick up people"

anyone in their right minds shouldnt think that way, just cause on the off chance a lady might find it degrading
    Yeah i know what your saying there just couldn't think of a better term when i wrote the post.
  • Options
    fair cop
  • Options
    yeah those sites are all pay, I wouldnt wanna pay first with no quarentee of owt happening.
  • Options
    yeah i agree walkingdude, most of the site you have to pay when you want to email someone or read one from them, but you can still read the profiles for free, and have yours up and running. only have to pay when you see someone you'd like to talk to. I've only coughed up money on two of them and then only about £7-10. now talk via msn or emails.
  • Options
    When I used yahoo, I could look at peoples profiles and set up my own for free, and send a free ice breaker, and if they replied I found I could normally send a couple of more messages to them (but only as a reply to a message sent by them). My boyfriend was a member, but in about his second message he gave me his email as he said it was easier for him to check when he was working. One guy I must have sent about 5 messages too before it stopped me. So just give them your email or msn address after they reply back to you. It seem to cheat the system.
  • Options
    yu have to pay first tho and I was on loopy love an dhad literally tons of messgaes from girls and couldnt read a single message.
  • Options
    I've always thought single sites were bullshit, like only a quater of the people on their actually existed.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    hi guys, i've got another question on this one. I like this girl and we seem to be getting on. I want to let her know that i'm seperated and getting a devorce but how can i do this without a) scaring her off and b)not sounding like damaged goods.

Would it bother any of you if you were getting to know someone and then find out they are seperated and getting a devorce. And would you thing that their damaged somehow?
    I wouldn't consider you "damaged goods" for having been married/ being in the process of divorcing.

I'm not sure how best to approach the subject though. It's a bit of an awkward one really, isn't it? I'd tell her not too soon because it could put her off but don't leave it too long either because then it could seem like you are lying to her or deliberately concealing the truth.

Avoid talking too much about your ex: Avoid bitching about her because this will make you seem bitter and avoid talking too fondly of her as it may make it seem like you still have feelings for her.
  • Options
    thanks random.
  • Options
    Hi

Just been reading this topic, there are some free sites out there

loopylove.com Tried got more messages when not paying :-)
    Girlsdateforfree.com Didnt even sign up on this one, but Im on it :-(
    matchmeuk.com Yes this is free to send and receive and Im on it
    Yahoo Not tried this one yet, may do
    Match.com Hehe there up at court for conning people
    Dateline.com Remorgage ya house lol

I used a dating site before to meet my girlfriend, im more 50/50 but it dont hurt to try and can be a laugh

Kev
  • Options
    loopylove and girsldateforfree are run by the same people, which is why if your on one you might find your on the other
  • Options
    its wrong really int it, girlsdateforfree
    they should open up boysdatefora-fee lol

Im sticking to one

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    free singles sites

hi ppl , i'm helen,

the only singles site i use is www.matchmeuk.com
    this one really is free, i've been on it for about a year now and have met loads of new people.
    i have been on alledged free sites that try to charge you after you sign up, but find matchme free and easy to use

helen x
  • Options
    Hi helen

I see ya got my email, well let me welcome you to here x

Are ya gunna be in chatroom later, I fancy a chat

Kev
  • Options
    *this* site is is not a hook up place. Maybe you could keep that to private messages?
  • Options
    sorry bud :blush: