Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shoplifting

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm arguing with your frankly naive and silly view that cannabis is, like, really hip and groovy and far out maaaaan and alcohol is for squares.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    cannabis is, like, really hip and groovy and far out maaaaan and alcohol is for squares.

When did he say anything of the sort?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    When did he say anything of the sort?

Obviously I'm exaggerating for effect. But he is saying that cannabis gives amazing insights and alcohol gives none. Which is quite clearly a load of hippy shite.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm arguing with your frankly naive and silly view that cannabis is, like, really hip and groovy and far out maaaaan and alcohol is for squares.

Yeh, typical blagsta post. Go read what I said this time and come back when you have something constructive to say. Right?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Obviously I'm exaggerating for effect. But he is saying that cannabis gives amazing insights and alcohol gives none. Which is quite clearly a load of hippy shite.

No, I said about 3 or 4 times that it doesn't give amazing insights. Have you read the thread or are you just going on a typical blagsta superiority rant?
    Blagsta wrote:

I think it's fair to say that some drugs are more insightful than others though. If I drank a skinfull I probably wouldn't remember the night before.

Drink has never given me the same profound experiences that LSD, DMT, MDMA and to a lesser degree cannabis have.
    Weekender Offender 
    turlough wrote:
    No, I said about 3 or 4 times that it doesn't give amazing insights. Have you read the thread or are you just going on a typical blagsta superiority rant?

I must admit I haven't read the entire thread, but here
    lcohol just gets ya pissed and you end up either saying you love your mate or falling all over the show. You don't have pissheads discussing philosophy or life, whereas cannabis user generally will.

and here
    This is about the effects of cannabis and other drugs, alcohol simply doesn't give you those moments of insight whereas other drugs will.

you seem to be saying that cannabis does and alcohol doesn't.
    turlough wrote:
    Well I don't mean it gives you some life defining super moment and all people who haven't taken it are losers but to say all it does is melt your head or whatever you said is wrong, it gives you a different perspective on life. All drugs are like that.
    turlough wrote:
    It is a life experiece, I never said it was a life defining or profound or necessary one, I just said that it is.

See blag..a lot different than to thinking it's groovy and hip.

And you know rightly blag that alcohol just doesn't compare to other non-depressent drugs in terms of having insight.
    turlough wrote:
    See blag..a lot different than to thinking it's groovy and hip.

Hmmmm, you seem to be saying in your later statements that it offers some amazing insights that alcohol doesn't.
    turlough wrote:
    And you know rightly blag that alcohol just doesn't compare to other non-depressent drugs in terms of having insight.

The effects that drugs have isn't merely down to the pharmacological properties. It is also down the social and cultural expectations and discourse of that drug. Alcohol has been an aid to many a philosophical debate if you read up on the subject.
    Blagsta wrote:
    The effects that drugs have isn't merely down to the pharmacological properties. It is also down the social and cultural expectations and discourse of that drug. Alcohol has been an aid to many a philosophical debate if you read up on the subject.

Well I'd disagree with you there. Put a smack head, a pisshead and a ket head into a room with an E head, a dope head and a shroom head and I'm sure you'll see remarkeble differences with who has insight and who hasn't.

One thing I'll be willing to agree with is that maybe alcohol will give you insight to a degree but my main argument wasn't about that, it was with kermit who said that being a stoner doesn't give you a life experience it just makes your brain go squishy. When that isn't true.
    turlough wrote:
    Well I'd disagree with you there. Put a smack head, a pisshead and a ket head into a room with an E head, a dope head and a shroom head and I'm sure you'll see remarkeble differences with who has insight and who hasn't.

Who gets to decide what counts as insight? If you think that opiates never gave anyone any insight of any kind, go read some Coleridge or listen to the Velvet Underground or Nick Cave. If you think alcohol never gave any insights go read Joyce or listen to The Pogues.
    turlough wrote:
    One thing I'll be willing to agree with is that maybe alcohol will give you insight to a degree but my main argument wasn't about that, it was with kermit who said that being a stoner doesn't give you a life experience it just makes your brain go squishy. When that isn't true.

Being a stoner doesn't give you life experience. It just makes you a stoner.
    Biggest benifit with Alcohol is that it breaks down your inhibitions.
    Weekender Offender 
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who gets to decide what counts as insight? If you think that opiates never gave anyone any insight of any kind, go read some Coleridge or listen to the Velvet Underground or Nick Cave. If you think alcohol never gave any insights go read Joyce or listen to The Pogues.

I've read coleridge, personally I think wordsworth and keats are much better.

Heard of them other two bands, not sure if I'd like them.

Read Joyce, read Hemmingway and have heard the Pogues. Not sure what this has got to do with my opinion.

So drugs don't give you a life experience, I'm sorry but what planet are you living on? I'm surprised saying as you were a former drug user yourself.
    What I'm saying is that drugs don't necessarily give you life experience. All they really do is give you experience of taking drugs. What life experience did Prince Harry gain from smoking cannabis? What does he know about people's lives?
    btw can I recommend this book
    0571203388.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    for an exploration of drugs' influence on literature and culture.
    Blagsta wrote:
    What I'm saying is that drugs don't necessarily give you life experience.

I agree with that.

I'm sure you wouldn't get much from dropping a copuple of pills and staqying in at home on you own. Do them with your mates however and the experience is awsome.
    Weekender Offender 
    Blagsta wrote:
    What I'm saying is that drugs don't necessarily give you life experience. All they really do is give you experience of taking drugs. What life experience did Prince Harry gain from smoking cannabis? What does he know about people's lives?

Not much but taking drugs is more about the buzz, it's about interaction, places and people you meet. Talking about their lives and experiences and how you relate. It's like an underground thingy. Definately a life experience mate and you know it too!

ETA:Blag recommending a book...well I never :p
    Skive wrote:
    I agree with that.

I'm sure you wouldn't get much from dropping a copuple of pills and staqying in at home on you own. Do them with your mates however and the experience is awsome.

No, it can be awesome. Some people hate it. It also very much depends on the cultural context. In the late 80's/early 90's in the UK it was very much PLUR, it felt like a cultural revolution. When it reached US hip hop culture in the late 90's/early 90's it changed the beats and production but there was very little evidence of anything remotely resembling PLUR. Drug taking (like everything else) exists in a social context which effects the meaning of the experience.
    turlough wrote:
    Not much but taking drugs is more about the buzz, it's about interaction, places and people you meet. Talking about their lives and experiences and how you relate. It's like an underground thingy. Definately a life experience mate and you know it too!

Sorry, but that is generalising bollocks. It can be that, it's not automatically that. It depends on the context.
    turlough wrote:
    ETA:Blag recommending a book...well I never :p

If you don't educate yourself you'll carry on spouting bollocks. :p

:lol:

Has it stopped you, Blagsta?
    1983 wrote:
    As a mod has said, you should be careful what you write on here, Stirling Uni...Tutors on drugs, and they approve of what you do. It could be miscontstrued and someone could take it further here.

What they going to do? Phone up a university that they're only guessing i attend and make a complaint against an unspecified tutor who smoked dope as a student?

:lol:

It's still no excuse for stealing what tickled your fancy at the time. That's what you are seriously not grasping. You did WRONG. You stole what you should have paid for and boasted about it. Obviously you weren't so skint, and hard up to come home in the morning and brag about it on the internet. Everything you needed was SO VITAL and SO nourishing. Honestly, you just are something else. You think it's owed to you to steal. My arse. Your parents probably didn't do a good job teaching you son, if you think stealing is the way to go and openly admit it's the way forward. That's sad.

I'm not even talking about shoplifting anymore.
    You can come out with all the marketing/business jargon, polysyllablic words, justification about going against a conglomorate bullshite all you want. You're still in the wrong for breaking the law, and trying to make things right by saying you paid for your Rizlas.

Breaking the law doesn't equate to an immoral act. To suggest otherwise is just plain stupid.
    You think all the great philosphers of the past got off their tits on drugs 24/7 and wrote some of that you study on?

No. Did i say that?
    Blagsta wrote:

The Velvet Revolvers didn't gain creative insight from heroin as such, it was more of a case that it lessened their musical inhibitions - creating lengthy pieces of music which, if sober, they would felt over the top and didn't fit a proper musical framework. Smack just loosened up their style and bit and let the creation flow...

i think there is a clear distinction between certain drugs (mostly hallucinogens) and others (such as alcohol). Heightened sensitivity and increased vibes come from mushrooms, lsd, cannabis etc - lessened sensitivity is the result of alcohol, although i wouldn't deny the lifestyle (as with the pogues) can provide a basis for musical creation.

The Pogues & Velvent Underground never really appealed me anyway...probably the very reason for that being their preferred intoxicants (inseparable to their musical style) are different to mine.
    Blagsta wrote:

Sorry mate I don't need books or strangers views to explain what "life experiences" are. You know what your problem is, you're so wound up in your own fuckin wee world that you're making enemies of the people you should be firends with, well I tell ya what, people like me, skive, spliffie,bong,morrocan roll are your friends but you spout so much shit that your on the "enemies" side and you don't even realise it so get a grip will ya, who are you trying to impress, the intellects or the people? Ask yourself that question and come back when you find the answer. You're arguiung against me and the others on this site because you think you've been there/done that and you think you're a god because of it...now wise up!!!
    Spliffie wrote:
    The Velvet Revolvers

Who?
    Spliffie wrote:
    didn't gain creative insight from heroin as such, it was more of a case that it lessened their musical inhibitions - creating lengthy pieces of music which, if sober, they would felt over the top and didn't fit a proper musical framework. Smack just loosened up their style and bit and let the creation flow...

i think there is a clear distinction between certain drugs (mostly hallucinogens) and others (such as alcohol). Heightened sensitivity and increased vibes come from mushrooms, lsd, cannabis etc - lessened sensitivity is the result of alcohol, although i wouldn't deny the lifestyle (as with the pogues) can provide a basis for musical creation.

The Pogues & Velvent Underground never really appealed me anyway...probably the very reason for that being their preferred intoxicants (inseparable to their musical style) are different to mine.

What pretentious bollocks.
    turlough wrote:
    Sorry mate I don't need books or strangers views to explain what "life experiences" are. You know what your problem is, you're so wound up in your own fuckin wee world that you're making enemies of the people you should be firends with, well I tell ya what, people like me, skive, spliffie,bong,morrocan roll are your friends but you spout so much shit that your on the "enemies" side and you don't even realise it so get a grip will ya, who are you trying to impress, the intellects or the people? Ask yourself that question and come back when you find the answer. You're arguiung against me and the others on this site because you think you've been there/done that and you think you're a god because of it...now wise up!!!

Get over yerself mate.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Get over yerself mate.

I don't think it's Turlough that needs to get 'over himself', and I think that's the point he was making. Your so agressive, short and rude to absolutely everybody.
    Why do you make yourself so fucking hard to get on with?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I don't think it's Turlough that needs to get 'over himself', and I think that's the point he was making. Your so agressive, short and rude to absolutely everybody.
    Why do you make yourself so fucking hard to get on with?

Turlough was responding to a tongue in cheek comment I made (hence the :p ) which was itself a reponse to a tongue in cheek comment he made. He then gets annoyed about it for some reason.
    If I think someone is talking crap I tell them, even if they are someone I roughly agree with on other things. Its just the way I am. I'm actually very easy to get on with "in real life", but this is a bulletin board and I'm not here to "make friends". I'm here mostly to entertain myself.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Turlough was responding to a tongue in cheek comment I made (hence the :p ) which was itself a reponse to a tongue in cheek comment he made. He then gets annoyed about it for some reason.
    If I think someone is talking crap I tell them, even if they are someone I roughly agree with on other things. Its just the way I am. I'm actually very easy to get on with "in real life", but this is a bulletin board and I'm not here to "make friends". I'm here mostly to entertain myself.

Great, I couldn't imagine anyone being like that "in real life." Though seriously, sometimes you need to get off your high horse and look at what you post. Mate. ;)
    He's too far gone Turlough. I have found my self agreeing with much of what Blagsta has to say these past weeks.

He's starting to see things from my point of view :thumb:
    turlough wrote:
    Great, I couldn't imagine anyone being like that "in real life." Though seriously, sometimes you need to get off your high horse and look at what you post. Mate. ;)

119101EKMJ_w.jpg