Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shoplifting

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course alcohol and cannabis aren't the same effect, but what's that got to do with the price of cheese?

People don't take drugs because it's a life-affirming experience, they take them because they make them feel nice. It's not rocket science. It doesn't make taking drugs a life experience.

And a lot of illegal drugs are not good for you, cannabis has been shown to cause mental illness, as has many other drugs. IT's not a legal/illegal debate, as alcohol and tobacco isn't good either, but taking drugs is no more of a life experience than smoking Marlboros.
    Kermit wrote:
    Of course alcohol and cannabis aren't the same effect, but what's that got to do with the price of cheese?

People don't take drugs because it's a life-affirming experience, they take them because they make them feel nice. It's not rocket science. It doesn't make taking drugs a life experience.

And a lot of illegal drugs are not good for you, cannabis has been shown to cause mental illness, as has many other drugs. IT's not a legal/illegal debate, as alcohol and tobacco isn't good either, but taking drugs is no more of a life experience than smoking Marlboros.

You're quite wrong, I've shown you what effects they have and what category of drugs they fall into, they open doors to the mind that are otherwise closed, release chemicals that otherwise are locked, it's a fact. Alcohol just gets ya pissed and you end up either saying you love your mate or falling all over the show. You don't have pissheads discussing philosophy or life, whereas cannabis user generally will. And I didn't say it's a profound life experience either, it's an experience that gives you a different perspective, yea if you are a regular drug user it gets to the stage where you only do it to get high or whatever but that's their problem and nothing to do with the debate.

And as a matter of fact, cannabis has only been linked to mental illness is cases where the user is already susseptible to mental illnesses. It doesn't turn a "normal" person into a schizo, despite what the gutter press may tell you.
    Kermit wrote:
    Unless you're doing a vision quest, which is something I plan to do one day for spiritual reasons. Injesting peyote and going out in to the wild.
    The jury is very much out on what effect drugs do to the mind. I'd agree with you to an extent about resin only making loopy people loopy, but there isn't enough evidence either way. I don't care what anybody says, pumping your body full of chemicals can not be good for you.

Oh, come on, we've all smoked pot. The ramblings of a stoner are very rarely deep or meaningful, in exactly the same way drunks think they're being deep but are really just mumbling drivel. It feels deep and meaningful, but it isn't. There's nowt wrong with taking drugs if that's your fun, but lets not pretend its a deep and meaningful thing that makes people more intelligent and more astute. Go and compare Brave New World to the books Huxley wrote when off his face on LSD.

Nowt wrong with drugs and drug use if that's what you like, but it's not something that makes you deep and thoughtful and wonderful.
    ---
    Kermit wrote:
    Nowt wrong with drugs and drug use if that's what you like, but it's not something that makes you deep and thoughtful and wonderful.

Never said it did, I just said it gives you a different perspective, that's the chemical effect. Not too hard to grasp.

Though I do agree, pumping your body full of chemicals isn't the smartest thing but you can't judge other people's choices.
    turlough wrote:
    You're quite wrong, I've shown you what effects they have and what category of drugs they fall into, they open doors to the mind that are otherwise closed, release chemicals that otherwise are locked, it's a fact. Alcohol just gets ya pissed and you end up either saying you love your mate or falling all over the show. You don't have pissheads discussing philosophy or life, whereas cannabis user generally will. And I didn't say it's a profound life experience either, it's an experience that gives you a different perspective, yea if you are a regular drug user it gets to the stage where you only do it to get high or whatever but that's their problem and nothing to do with the debate.

And as a matter of fact, cannabis has only been linked to mental illness is cases where the user is already susseptible to mental illnesses. It doesn't turn a "normal" person into a schizo, despite what the gutter press may tell you.

Utter bollocks turlough. Alcohol has contributed to James Joyce, cannabis to Ozric fucking Tentacles.
    turlough wrote:
    Never said it did, I just said it gives you a different perspective, that's the chemical effect. Not too hard to grasp.

But you did just say that.

It gives you the perspective of someone on drugs. Hardly a life experience.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Utter bollocks turlough. Alcohol has contributed to James Joyce, cannabis to Ozric fucking Tentacles.

Alcohol has also contributed to many men lying on the streets. What's your point?
    Kermit wrote:
    But you did just say that.

It gives you the perspective of someone on drugs. Hardly a life experience.

It is a life experiece, I never said it was a life defining or profound or necessary one, I just said that it is.
    On the original point, Ive actually never shoplifted anything, I certainly wouldnt make a moral critisism of someone who shoplifted from a big corporation, personally Ive never been that desperate when Ive had very little money Ive generlly managed to budget, and more importantly Ive also always had family and friends to borrow a tenner off when needed. Ive done a few crimes but only whan I consider the risk/return ratio to be worth it geting nicked for a bottle of whisky and getting at best a trip down the police station and a caution, or more realisticaly somekind of lower level criminal record not worth it.
    Also stealing is perhaps not good for yourself if you know what I mean

On the subject of drugs (not that I aim to encourage people to tkae them) taking them a few times can give you "life experience" bonding with people and getting friendly after taking a pill at a nightclub is a worth while experience. Taking too many too oftern is more negative than positive, as for weed, well meting hippy type people and having a social smoke at their house has been worth while meeting dealers gives you an insite to the underworld, it all depends on how deep into it you want to go.

Of and spliffie would the fact that you didnt nick the skins have more to do with the fact that their kept behind the counter and not on shelves have more to do with it than moral reasons ?
    turlough wrote:
    Alcohol has also contributed to many men lying on the streets. What's your point?

Cannabis has contributed to lots of tedious music. What's your point?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Cannabis has contributed to lots of tedious music. What's your point?

:confused: You've really got me there!

You're trying to say it was alcohol that made Joyce great, when it quite clearly wasn't.

This is about the effects of cannabis and other drugs, alcohol simply doesn't give you those moments of insight whereas other drugs will. It's quite simple.
    Kermit wrote:
    Spliffie, Turlough was directly implying that I can't say it doesn't because I don't take illegal drugs. Lipsy is accurate, you are not.

No, actually, she isn't.
    ...which overlooks the fact no-one had even contested that in the first place. That's the oh-so-elusive point.

You brought the question of drugs and life experience up yourself - from nowhere.

Try engaging your brain your brain for once.
    Spliffie wrote:
    No, actually, she isn't.

No, actually she is. Just as 1983 was.
    You brought the question of drugs and life experience up yourself - from nowhere.

The MDMA interfering with your cognitive skills, or something? You can't even remember what you write and imply. How curious.

Still, hope you enjoyed your tea. You nicking a lasagne today, revolution tomorrow!
    Kermit wrote:

Drugs can and often do produce life-affirming experiences. Turlough is right on this - if don't have experience, you're speaking from a position of total ignorance.
    Kermit wrote:
    No, actually she is. Just as 1983 was.

The MDMA interfering with your cognitive skills, or something? You can't even remember what you write and imply. How curious.

Still, hope you enjoyed your tea. You nicking a lasagne today, revolution tomorrow!

Where did i claim drugs offer life experience, in fact when did anyone, prior to you claiming they don't?
    turlough wrote:
    I would like to add that I am a "chav" I fit your description of a chav, and I tell ya what, I don't give a fuck...because I know a lot more about life than you will ever know...and I'm sure skive does aswell...you only live once so go mental!
    i think this was the starting point.
    lipsy wrote:
    i think this was the starting point.

I don't think that's specifically meaning drugs though? Drugs are merely one of the potential experiences which make up life...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Spliffie wrote:
    Where did i claim drugs offer life experience, in fact when did anyone, prior to you claiming they don't?

Nowhere mate. Kermit and 1983 brought drugs into the argument as a way of confirming your 'nedishness' or something. :confused: Aparently taking drugs isn't a moral thing to do?

There is no doubt that taking drugs has has benifitted me, they have changed my life for better. Some of the exeperinces I've had on hallucinogens such as Acid, DMT and Fly have been really rewarding, helping me to look at myself and my life from a different angle and to say that drugs can't change the way you look at life is simply bollocks.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Nowhere mate. Kermit and 1983 brought drugs into the argument as a way of confirming your 'nedishness' or something. :confused: Aparently taking drugs isn't a moral thing to do?

There is no doubt that taking drugs has has benifitted me, they have changed my life for better. Some of the exeperinces I've had on hallucinogens such as Acid, DMT and Fly have been really rewarding, helping me to look at myself and my life from a different angle and to say that drugs can't change the way you look at life is simply bollocks.

If you have a reflective, investigative, creative or spiritual mindset then drugs undoubtedly can offer considerable personal development. I've flown through uni largely because of them - i've talked to my philosophy tutors about this too, most of them have been through similar experiences. It's definitely a way of opening up the mind. Diminishment of the ego seriously altered my perspective - once you're base psychology position is laid bare, you are forced to reconsider everything your arrogance once held as unquestionable.

People can brush if off as nonsense druggie-talk all they want...doesn't really bother me, in fact it becomes something a priviledge.
    I'm never going to do drugs.
    i once shoplifted a nikey shirt, i dunno why i did it :confused: but mum found it in the wash and forced me to give it to oxfam. Thought i was a real badboy when me and my mate nicked two 1 penny sweets from tesco's pick and mix, when i was like 10. :rolleyes: we were crapping our pants when we were walking outta tesco's that day and i was afriad to back for like months incase they had caught be on cctv. Dont really approve of shoplifting tho, unless your outta money or you hate the shop. Like Waitrose :impissed: hate that place.
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you have a reflective, investigative, creative or spiritual mindset then drugs undoubtedly can offer considerable personal development. I've flown through uni largely because of them - i've talked to my philosophy tutors about this too, most of them have been through similar experiences. It's definitely a way of opening up the mind.

As a mod has said, you should be careful what you write on here, Stirling Uni...Tutors on drugs, and they approve of what you do. It could be miscontstrued and someone could take it further here.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Diminishment of the ego seriously altered my perspective - once you're base psychology position is laid bare, you are forced to reconsider everything your arrogance once held as unquestionable.

It's still no excuse for stealing what tickled your fancy at the time. That's what you are seriously not grasping. You did WRONG. You stole what you should have paid for and boasted about it. Obviously you weren't so skint, and hard up to come home in the morning and brag about it on the internet. Everything you needed was SO VITAL and SO nourishing. Honestly, you just are something else. You think it's owed to you to steal. My arse. Your parents probably didn't do a good job teaching you son, if you think stealing is the way to go and openly admit it's the way forward. That's sad.

You can come out with all the marketing/business jargon, polysyllablic words, justification about going against a conglomorate bullshite all you want. You're still in the wrong for breaking the law, and trying to make things right by saying you paid for your Rizlas.
    Spliffie wrote:
    People can brush if off as nonsense druggie-talk all they want...doesn't really bother me, in fact it becomes something a priviledge.

LMAO! Ok, Then.

You think all the great philosphers of the past got off their tits on drugs 24/7 and wrote some of that you study on? I think not somehow. To a degree, yes because obviously they did dabble in some sort of drug use but at the same time, I think that they would have wrote a great wad whilst completely stone-cold. So, I think you're talking bollocks.
    1983 wrote:
    Your parents probably didn't do a good job teaching you son...That's sad.

Hey come lets leave the parents outta this
    turlough wrote:
    :confused: You've really got me there!

You're trying to say it was alcohol that made Joyce great, when it quite clearly wasn't.

This is about the effects of cannabis and other drugs, alcohol simply doesn't give you those moments of insight whereas other drugs will. It's quite simple.

Which is of course, utter bollocks. Many great writers got their inspiration from alcohol.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which is of course, utter bollocks. Many great writers got their inspiration from alcohol.
    Its hard to prove or disprove. We know many great writers had alcohol problems, but we do not know whether they'd have been as good or better if they were teetotal
    Blagsta wrote:

Really? I find that hard to believe and even if it was because of alcohol, it's because of the feeling of alienation/depression when off the drug itself that lead them to write such great stuff, alcohol itself doesn't give you insight, 'nuff said.
    turlough wrote:
    Really? I find that hard to believe and even if it was because of alcohol, it's because of the feeling of alienation/depression when off the drug itself that lead them to write such great stuff, alcohol itself doesn't give you insight, 'nuff said.

Actually I feel quite insighful after a couple of drinks. Far more so than cannabis which makes me feel depressed and alienated.
    Yes but you're not an alcoholic are you? They're the one's who are feeling alienated and depressed from drinking, not you. If I smoked a joint now I'd also feel alienated and depressed aswell but I'll never deny that it gave me a life experience, are you arguing against me just for the sake of it or something?