Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UCAS Application - Mature student reference help??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am currently filling out my UCAS application and have come to some difficulties on the reference part; basically I can't find a suitable reference. The staff that taught me at college no longer work there and the same goes for university.

Has anyone else had any similar problems?

How are you supposed to get an academic reference if you have had a lengthy gap in education?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Trout wrote:
    How are you supposed to get an academic reference if you have had a lengthy gap in education?
    You don't strictly speaking need to get your old form tutor to do it. I got my old English Literature lecturer to make the reference. Such an arrangement though is ideal. How old are you? (there is a reason for me asking, please bear with me here)
  • Options
    I'm 22 (So not really that 'Mature' student but classed as one) 23 by the time Uni starts this year.

Yeah I know it doesn't have to be a tutor but everyone that taught me no longer works at my old college & university. There is a couple of lecturers still at my old Uni but they won't remember me, they just gave me lectures not seminars....
  • Options
    Well, I'm in the middle of the process now. I'd turned 21 just over a week before sending my application, and I will still be 21 on starting. So, I don't think that makes me a mature student. Concerning your old lecturers, it's worth trying. Alternatively, contact someone in a position of authority, someone who should "command respect in society". Try contacting your previous employer, someone who will give you a good reference.

Either way, you need to be quick - I'm sure you don't need reminding the deadline is Sunday, January 15th.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I will still be 21 on starting.

Therefore you are a mature student.

http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/courses/getting_back_into_education/mature_students.cfm
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm just helping my boyfriend with his UCAS form and he will be a mature student, 25 when the course starts and its 7years since he's been in education. He's probably going to get a work colleague to do it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    That doesn't seem very clear. It says "over 21". But I still will be on starting. What does that make me? Other than confused. :confused:
  • Options
    I think it means from your 21st b'day onwards because from the moment 21yrs after your birth you are 'over' 21. Even though we say "I'm 21" etc- you're actually in your 22nd year because for your first year you were naught. I don't know whether this affects you but if you apply as a mature student you can find that your work experience may make up for where you grades (or lach thereof) let you down.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I think it means from your 21st b'day onwards because from the moment 21yrs after your birth you are 'over' 21. Even though we say "I'm 21" etc- you're actually in your 22nd year because for your first year you were naught.
    I'm still confused. :p
    I don't know whether this affects you but if you apply as a mature student you can find that your work experience may make up for where you grades (or lach thereof) let you down.
    Rest assured I definitely have no lack of grades. I've got more than enough UCAS points and I can't imagine work experience going against me.
  • Options
    Why are you confused?! On that link it says "You are classed as a mature student if you are over 21 when you start your course" and you will be over 21, you'll be nearly 22 (i looked on your profile...)
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    Why are you confused?! On that link it says "You are classed as a mature student if you are over 21 when you start your course" and you will be over 21, you'll be nearly 22 (i looked on your profile...)
    My 22nd birthday is not until December 27th, therefore I will be 21 when I enter in September. So, I'm not over 21, nor under it.
  • Options
    But as Katralla said, as soon as you've gone past your 21st birthday, i.e. the day after your 21st you are in fact OVER 21.
  • Options
    Think about this- you can only buy alcohol when you are over 18, so from your eighteenth birthday onwards...
  • Options
    Hahhahaha...you people...!

Anyway I've sorted it all out now...Just the small matter of a personal statement...and finance and loads of other crap all to be done yesterday...stupid university, stupid me.

Thanks for advice.
  • Options
    Anyway, if you're only aplying to one university as a mature student- you may find it easier to apply direct, rather than through ucas.
  • Options
    ^^^ don't ucas charge about £15 for processing?
  • Options
    The university I'm applying to will only accept applications through UCAS...I think it's a little cheaper if you are only applying to one institution....it all seems a bit ridiculous to me, why you can't just apply direct...I am a sham.
  • Options
    If I recall, its £5 for one university, and £15 for more.
  • Options
    I also applied for university through UCAS this year and had a hell of a time finding a referee! I asked old teachers but none of them got back to me (nice huh!) so in the end I got a reference from someone I work with who is a nurse and a qualified nurse assesor. I got accepted to uni based on her reference.