Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say you had given some broad an engagement ring. Things tuned sour and what was is now no longer. Wouldn't you return the ring? Sell it? Pawn it off? Would you give the ring to some other poor bastard bitch that came along? Would you reuse something like that?

Comments

• Options
    I would give it back if it was asked for if things didnt end too badly, but keep it hidden away if it wasnt asked for.

however, I would throw it back, or post it back with a blunt note attached if things did end badly, and then never talk to the person again :p
  • Options
    I'd sell it.
  • Options
    How tacky and rotten is it to give it to somebody else
  • Options
    er.... not sure. i dont think i'd want it back. when i found out about my wifes affair, and she said she didn't want to try again my wedding ring came off straight away, as it didn't mean anything anymore. i know she still wears her rings but not on her wedding finger.
    The thing i did want back was the unset diamond i brought. It was only 0.5carrot but cost me around £160 in the duty free shop, when i was on a business trip to south africa. I was going to give it to my sisters little one. As wife had promised her we'd buy her one when shes older, and this 4yr can put an elephants memory to shame
  • Options
    You could get away with giving it to more than one person if it was a family heirloom or something similar, I think. Though that's provided you didn't marry them, as if you divorced you're probably far less likely to get it back. In cases like that though I think the person to whom the ring's been given usually feels a lot more obligation to return it should things not work out, not always though I'm sure.

I don't think a ring you just bought from a shop shouldn't be re-usable on as many prospective fiancees as possible, although that is quite a bemusing thought. :p
  • Options
    i left mine at my old house.
    Have no idea what arsehole moron has done with it and nor do i care. Id probably laugh if he gave it to his girlfriend, but thats not likely to happen.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I would do, it would depend on:
    How god/bad the break up was,
    If they wanted it back,
    Was it a family heirloom etc...

I've never been in that postion so I honestly can not say.
  • Options
    I gave it back when it happened to me. Don't know what he did with it.
  • Options
    My ex fiancee threw it at me so many times whilst we were going out, that when i finally gave up on that relationship and she asked what to do with it i told her to shove it up her arse for all i cared. Much happier now :D
  • Options
    Have no idea what I did with my old rings. Think I actually threw them in the bin, wouldn't have got a fat lot for them selling them anyway.

Just so's we're clear on this point though, in this country at least if you give a woman an engagement ring and then the engagement is called off, the ring is legally her property and you have no right to demand it back, unless you can prove that it was given with the proviso that it was to be returned if the marriage did not take place.
  • Options
    If she has sold hers, she would have got a nice little sum... and I wouldn't put it past her either...
  • Options
    Oh, and to answer one of Manda's original questions, I think it's really cheap to give someone a recycled engagement ring. I'd be mightily offended if someone did that to me.
  • Options
    it'd depend on why we split up - i'd probably like to keep it because even though things might be 'sour' now, i might look back and want to have something to remind me of the better times.
  • Options
    i gave mine back.

we broke up on fairly good terms, so i asked him if he wanted it (i didn't) and he said no at first, but then asked for it back a few months later. i think he sold it to pay off college debts. fair enough really.

i would be mightily hacked off if someone gave me their ex's old ring. it's not even the ring, it's the action. i'd rather have a £9.99 ring from argos that was all my own.
  • Options
    My girlfriend is selling her old engagement ring from her ex, but for that he keeps the tv which is half hers, fair trade i think.